Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Weekly Challenge #130

Happy Tuesday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, i've redone the code a few times... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva ( a t ) yahoo ( d o t ) com - also to those people who donated this week... THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Happy Tuesday!

I hope everyone (in Canada) had a nice and relaxing long weekend!  We sure did at Casa Diva.  B-rad has been off work all week and made some really great progress on the the new deck.


We call the taller deck the "up up up deck"
It's looking amazing, i should also mention that B-rad not only built the deck, but he designed it as well.  He's pretty talented.  The window shown above the up up up deck is the Master bedroom, so - the idea is that we will someday put in a door where the window is.

The stairs to the up up up deck are now attached
 Chewie has been having fun 'helping' dad too.

work work work!

 On Thursday my mom watched the kids while B-rad and i went out with some friends, and she invited us to come out to the lake with her and my dad for the weekend.  B-rad still had some things he wanted to do on the deck, so we agreed to come out for one night.  We arrived at the lake just before lunch, and there was 0 cell service and i had no 3g for my phone, so i left it in the van for the entirety of the trip! (Which means no pictures)  B-rad and Chewie slept in the tent, Chewie was so excited.  Artoo and i slept in the trailer.

Both the boys loved the lake, the water was chilly but not cold.  The sun was HOT and the breeze was great.  We had a great time with the boys - building sand castles and splashing and throwing Grandma out of the little rubber boat.  ;)

After the boys were in bed, B-rad and I stayed up playing cards with my mom and dad, and we had a really great time.

On our way home from the lake
This was one of the only photos i took, on our way home.  Both the boys took the Magic Road home.... sleepy.

On the last day of the long weekend, i had planned to plant my hostas, but then it rained.


but my garden loved the rain.
 and before bed, we all played and danced downstairs, Chewie said it was a Hat Party.  And so it was.

It's been a great week.


Weekly Challenge #130 UMT v. XIX: Henna Drum
As some of you know the first Monday of the month is a UMT challenge (Use My Tangle) where i will randomly select a tangle created by one of you for us all to try! If you would like to submit your tangle, please click on the tab UMT above and read the guidelines for submission.

This month's tangle is brought to us by Jane MacKugler, CZT

Her tangle is called Henna Drum and you can find the step-outs here.

I was really struggling with a pen that was almost dead, which totally dampened my 'zen'. 

Also, i wanted to address something quickly - some of you have messaged me or emailed me suggesting or asking why i don't list the tangles i use on my tiles.  Some other CZTs do, and i TOTALLY applaud them!  The honest answer is because i never remember what they're called half the time.  I have yet to devise a organizational system that i like, but also - it sort of messes with my zen as well.  I don't plan out my tiles, i just do whatever tangle comes to my head.   Aside from the ones i know for sure, a lot of them get filed in my head under: swirly one with the doohickey, or the boxy one with the circles, etc., and if i'm still being honest - more often than not i'm finishing up my post around 11:30 pm on Sunday, and don't have the energy to look up the names, that is - if i can remember who created it. I wouldn't know where to start.

sorry i'm not more help there. 

:)

Have a great week!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (please email to weeklychallenge(at)mail(dot)com)I just ask that you put in the subject line:  Challenge # ________

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

18 comments:

  1. What a great weekend you had!!!! I am happy for you! Thanks for the UMT challenges, I so love exploring the new patterns. Thanks to Jane too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely challenge this week thank you Laura and Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such fun to wake up to a new challenge! Thanks! Your deck sure is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg, I made a mess with my link!!! Sorry!!!
    Nr. 5 is wrong! :-/
    However, I had a great fun with drawing / painting the daisies. Hope you'll like my "freestyle trials", although it is not really conform with Zentangles. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to attempt my very first tangle challenge. I hope it's not a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You topped off a lovely weekend with a splendid Zentangle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely weekend you've had. What a wonderful house B-rad is building, really talented. Thanks for again a lovely challenge. Henna drum... haven't done that tangle very much, hardly honestly. So a real challenge! take care, love 'n greetz, Ellen Wolters, NL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each week something interesting - thank you! Hope you had a great long weekend - these are always good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. your deck is looking great, laura! and thanks for using henna drum - it's one of my favorites! it's always so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great challenge and great job on the tile. Hope you can enjoy your deck soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the first time I've used this tangle, and I really enjoyed it. Thanks so much Laura and Jane for another great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my first time using this tangle, too, but I'm sure it won't be my last. It's a lovely tangle; I just couldn't think of how to use it with other tangles. Now that I've broken the ice, so to speak, I can definitely think of other ways to use it. Thanks, Jane, for the tangle, and Laura for another great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Laura. I have always loved Henna Drum and so it was nice to be able to play around with it and what to put it with. I learnt a lot, which is aways good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow this one has been popular. I look forward to the slide show this week. Henna Drum is one of my son's favorites. He picked it out off a sheet of practice tangles and said - this one is the best - gotta love a boy who bothers to look at his mom's art.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed two versions this week...even though I was really busy. Could not miss Henna Drum given I lived in the Middle East back in 2008 to 2010

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just submitted my first piece! I'm new to Zentangle and have found it to be really fun and rewarding, especially since I've never considered myself to be an artist. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Laura!! It's great to see my tangle all over the world!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Janee....I love this tangle, thanks Laura, appreciate all your hard work and dedication to the challenges...oh and sorry I pushed the enter button twice, ignor/delete the second one!!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!