Monday, August 19, 2013

Weekly Challenge #132

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, i've redone the code a few times... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva ( a t ) yahoo ( d o t ) com


Happy Monday!

okay, there are SO many pictures to go through this week! it's been a busy and amazing week.
I decided that this was the week to rip out my overgrown and half dying cedar bushes.  It was quite the adventure, i was pretty sure the cedar bushes were fighting back because i had a couple of flesh wounds.

DIE, CEDAR, DIE!!!

To be fair, most of it was already dead.
 Then on Saturday i gave my front flower bed a much needed facelift, and FINALLY managed to get my hostas and foxglove into their homes.  It took me almost 2 hours, but it's done!  For now.  I will add some more plants and flowers in stages.


On Wednesday B-rad and i drove down to Regina, SK (About 2.5 hours) and we crossed off an item off our bucket list when we got to see Sir Paul McCartney in concert!! A BEATLE!! A REAL LIVE BEATLE!!

ROW 28 on the floor!!


YEEEEAAAH!!

Band on the Run - So epic...

It was one of the best nights.  So awesome, he played for over 3 hours without a break and you could just tell that he loves what he does.  it's so inspiring to see a person living their true bliss.  A real live Rock Legend!!

This summer is so busy, and hot, and the boys are busy and i can't believe that August is half over already... gasp! Chewie is starting kindergarten in two weeks and it's hard to say who is more excited, him or me.

"Cucumbers? growing in our GARDEN? This is the best day EVER!!"

I'm dreaming of Salsa-To-Be

Boys playin' in the water
hope your days are as full of awesome as mine have been!

Weekly Challenge #132: "Non-Domonotangle"
 Okay, so this week's challenge, should you choose to accept it, is another monotangle but the extra challenge is: To do it with your non-dominant hand.  WHAT? yes. FOR REAL? yeah! c'mon! What have you got to lose?

i've been reading a lot lately about using your non-dominant hand to increase your creativity.

I'm sure you've all heard the research about right-hand/left-brain left-hand/right-brain.  If you haven't, the reader's digest version is that the left-brain is where we process logic, patterns, language, speech - etc, and the right-brain is creative, intuitive, holistic, and looks at the whole.  The left side of the brain governs the right side of the body, and vice versa.  If you are right handed, you are left brained, etc.

This does NOT mean that only left handed people are creative, though. ;)

There are many reasons to practice using their non dominant hand (and not just for Tangling). 
Not only does it increase your creativity, but using your non-dominant hand makes your brain fire in ways it's not used to, and that's a good brain workout.  (Yoga for the Brain* anyone?)

Left handed Bales
This week's challenge is to do a monotangle of Bales with your non-dominant hand.  Remember the challenge is to practice using your left if you're a righty, and your right if you're a lefty, and the be gentle and self-accepting.  
I wanted to show you that i did the entire thing with my left hand,
including my ritualesque signature and date
In the past, my non-dominant hand challenges have been the most difficult.  People either love 'em or hate 'em.  A lot of people have a hard time letting go of the 'pretty' and really delving into the process of Zentangle.  If you are one of those people, really let this be a time where you can slow down, breathe, and focus on each stroke of the pen. 
 
Have fun!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  I just ask that you put in the subject line:  Challenge # ________

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

20 comments:

  1. Monotangle and non-dom, I love this challenge. Thanks to you Laura! I love that you share your summer with us....gorgeous garden produce and happy times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry about the first link....I always copy and past for my title but linky wouldn't take the huge address it produced.

      Delete
  2. Sir Paul in Regina? The Roughies are winning? I can't believe it! The gods are finally smiling on the prairies.
    Thanks for a challenging challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O my, what a challenge, no CHALLENGE, this week. I'll join of course, but I really wonder what I can make of it. I can hardly do anything with my left hand. Well, tomorrow I'll know -:)
    Thanks for all the lovelybphotos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I learned a lot doing this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enthusiastically share your excitement at seeing Paul McCartney - saw him July 16th in Milwaukee and it was the absolute best concert I've ever attended. I've been wanting to see and hear the Beatles, or one of them at least, for 50 years. I can say I am still excited when I talk about it - oh what a night!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that was definitely a challenge! I had a hard time with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those vegies!!! Splendid left hand lines in your Zentangle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really good for using your left hand!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll comment now because I'm not at all sure that I can do this challenge. I looked at the entries and was quite surprised to see that the bales pattern occurs over and over again. Is that because it can be drawn on a grid? (there are so many others like it!)Anyway, all praise to those who went left-handed and as a veteran left-hander myself I suppose it's never too late to get it 'right':-)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I HAVE been meaning to try this anyway, so thanks for forcing the issue, Laura! A real challenge but a good one. It takes me back to learning to tangle. I would never have thought I could do what I do now (with my right hand!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear.
    I hated doing this.....!!!
    Really really hate the final drawing.
    But a little teeny part of me is thankful I did it.
    Talk about a 'challenge' lol.

    Thank you Laura ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was really the embodiment of "Challenge". Wow! I admit that I did a lot of "practice drawings" before attempting to actually do a tile. I kept finding myself tightening up, and I know part of the purpose of this exercise is to loosen up and go with the flow. I also found myself automatically switching to my right hand, and had to force myself not to do that. I think with what I've learned, I have to try again. Thanks, Laura, for keeping us on our toes. Or is it our fingers?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I must be a glutton for punishment; I seem to be the only one so far who has attempted to do this more than once. But, Laura, thanks for challenges like this; they really do get us going. And are good excuses (as if we needed any) to keep tangling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you got to see Paul McCartney in concert! I saw him on his last tour and it was definitely one of my top 5 favorite concerts of all time. Nothing like garden veggies too! The non-dominant hand challenges are always the hardest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bet the concert was a great time. This was definitely a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Laura, thanks for the challenge! ....
    Which I've totally messed up! Feel free to remove my entry. I was so consumed with worry about it that I did the wrong tangle!
    Oh brother!
    Worry is probably the wrong word, but I've never entered and guess I got intimidated and it affected my reading abilities! ;)
    Thanks for all of your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laura, thanks for stretching our creativity and our compassion.
    ~~Sue O.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I sent my link again. The one I did first was somehow broken. you can remove my first one link #27

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!