Monday, September 16, 2013

Weekly Challenge #136

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, i've redone the code a few times... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva ( a t ) yahoo ( d o t ) com

Happy Monday Morning everyone...

In case you missed it on Friday, my second mixed media post is up at ArtistCellar.com!  Come on by and have a look!

It's gonna be a quick post today - i have been under the weather for the majority of the week... My tooth has been aching every day since my dental work 2 weeks ago, even after i went back to get it fixed last week! i will be calling again, because it's pretty awful.  Also, i had been sneezing and had itchy watery eyes for most of the week, which i assumed was due to allergies, but has since turned into a full blown head cold type thing, and my brain is just not "on" right now.

The most exciting thing that happened this past week was Color me Rad!  Back in June when my girlfriend Tara and i planned and carried out our Colour Run for Beads of Courage I wasn't really able to actually RUN the 5K, which was on my list of goals for this year (to run a 5K), i was too busy coordinating Volunteers and grinning from ear to ear (we raised over $15,000 that day! not too shabby for two stay at home moms from Saskatchewan).  So, when Color Me Rad announced that they would be coming to Saskatoon for the first time, i signed up with my neighbour and my friend from my old work. The race was sold out, with 9,000 runners!

Only, on the day before the run, my buddy sent me a message to let me know he'd hurt his leg (running a half marathon the weekend before) and wouldn't be able to come... so at the last minute B-rad took his place!! I'm so glad we were able to do it together, it was so fun.
B-rad and I Before... all clean


B-rad and I....after...... 
Team Discovery Channel!
Weekly Challenge #136: "Colour Colour Everywhere"
Inspired by 9000 rainbow runners - this week's challenge is COLOUR!! Now, this may not be challenging to some, but to some of us (myself included) it could be quite difficult.  Traditionally, Zentangle is done in Black and White and Grey.  Adding colour can be stunning, but it can also be nerve wracking!

Adding colour to your tile, or ZIA, is this week's Weekly Challenge!  Any way you like.
For me, i sprayed my tile with some water then dripped water colours onto the wet tile, letting the colours create my 'string'.   I really did find this challenging.  More than i had anticipated, and i didn't find that 'zen' as easily because i was concentrating on making it look "Pretty".  Eventually, i was able to let that go, and it came a lot easier.

Anyway - Fear not! you don't need to use watercolour or paint for this challenge.  You can use anything that brings a bit of colour! A coloured pen, some coloured paper, a crayon, whatever floats your boat.  Use a lot, or a little.

Have a great week everyone! I am going to drink tea and hope my cold goes away! :)

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (please send your submissions to weeklychallenge at mail dot com.... Not gmail, just mail... there started to be too many submissions in my personal mail box.  If you have a question or need clarification, please email me at the contact information provided above, but all submissions should go to the mail.com address...thank you!! sorry for any confusion).  I just ask that you put in the subject line:  Challenge # ________

The "deadline" for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

22 comments:

  1. Your colors are so delicate and lovely. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all: a cold can be so nasty and annoying so I hope you get well soon!

    The challenge is going to be very challenging. I'm not very talented using color but I'm looking forward to it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tile is gorgeous! I think color sounds like fun! My hubby is in the hospital with issues after radiation treatments and I've been sitting with him for WEEKS, but I may try to do this. No promises, but it does look like a fun challenge...especially since we get to pick the tangles we use. Congrats on the fundraiser!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, I am so in love with your tile this week! It has everything I love and more! I so enjoyed going to your mixed media post, fabulous! What a colorful week! I hope you are feeling well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Color! Wonderful! Can't wait to get at it. About that toothache though--don't let it go any longer. Something like that can get serious fast. Hope you feel better soonest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't dropped off the surface of the Zentangle World. Every week I've been doing the Challenges, but mine are posted in my Flickr Account, but haven't figured out how to link them. Wished I'd remembered to send me zentangle to the WeeklyChallenge email, but I will post them on Facebook as soon as Facebook cooperate with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should be able to post your URL from Flickr into the linkey machine. I think several people do.

      just FYI, i'm not currently pulling submissions from Facebook.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE the way you did that with de waterspray! I'm gonna try that too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Laura you need to sort that tooth out before it gets nasty!! Thanks for the great challenge drives the blues away!! Love the splashes of colour!! have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, New here and just finished my first this afternoon. My 6yr old joined in the fun with me, so I put his up too! Just noticed you're from Saskatoon, I was born there and half my family is there. I'm down in AR now, but maybe someday I'll make it back up there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Colour is always the greatest challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the challenge!
    I am new to the Zentangle world and this was my very first time using color. I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sitting here with a bright grin in my face ... and a big question mark over my head --- as I always use color. So this is kind of a completely free challenge for me... Have to figure out what I could do draw now... ;-)
    Thx for your weekly challenges, I enjoy them very much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Laura, it's my first time playing as I am new to Zentangle, self-taught for now but going to the November Seminar from South Africa! I just wanted to say thank you for providing this challenge site, it really helps newbies like me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laura...sorry my links weren't working and my name is listed 3 times now, only one of those links work. I don't know how to get rid of the others....can you delete them?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Laura for getting my creative juices going!!!!Fall is my favorite season because of the colors. So I had soooooooo much fun creating this ! One of my new favorite medias is Crayola Twistables. They are colored pencils but they feel almost like a crayon, when coloring with them. Give it a try!!! And thanks again!! Peace be yours! Annette

    ReplyDelete
  16. Made me dig out my colored pencils, wasn't ready to do a watercolor wash, had fun doing it, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laura, congrats on the one million milestone...good for you...also, I apologize for the double entry #68 is a previous post...forgot to refresh the linky machine...Sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Laura, huge congratulations on ticking over 1,000,000 page views. Unbelievable. You rock!

    I had a ball with this challenge. Part of my art lesson this week was to learn to use frisket/masking fluid. So, I jumped in with both feet and tangled with it.

    Thanks for the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! More than 1.000.000 page views. That is a huge amount. Congrats.

    I love joining your challenges, although I'm mostly very late, including this week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had fun with this challenge. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!