Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Weekly Challenge #140

Happy Tuesday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, i've redone the code a few times... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva ( a t ) yahoo ( d o t ) com

Welcome back everyone.

in case you missed it on Friday, my latest post is up at the Artist Cellar blog, and it's a tangly one!
in it, i shared some of my photos from my yoga retreat, but here's a few more:

the beautiful trees

The yoga studio

Buddha by the lookout

the lookout

the yoga studio

the view

ready to go to the next yoga session

the lodge

so many delicious cheeses

I hope you all had a nice long weekend, those of you lucky enough to have one!

We celebrated Thanksgiving up here in Canada, and i was a busy bee this weekend.  B-rad's grandmother is turning 90 this year, so there was a great big celebration this weekend with all the family flying in and traveling by car to celebrate.   I was asked to 'volunteer' to put together the slideshow, so a lot of my week was focused on that, and what a big task that was.  But it all came together in the end.

I was also asked if i would volunteer to take family photos on Saturday.  They had booked a room at a hotel nearby for the family to have thanksgiving dinner together.  So, i took the photos of Grandma and all of her children (6) and all of their families, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

my beautiful fam

Sunday afternoon we had a big gathering with all the extended family and friends and the slideshow went off without a hitch, luckily for me.  :D

Monday afternoon was thanksgiving with my family at my older brother's house.  I took family photos there too.
my beautiful fam
I just now realized i'm wearing the same sweater in both photos. lol
It's always nice to spend time with our families, but i'm looking forward to a slower paced week ahead.  ;)

Weekly Challenge #140! "Monotangle, Pointillism style!"
Pointillism is an artistic style using tiny dots! Yep, tiny dots.  It's not really a tangle, per se, but it's pretty fun to use in your tiles every now and then.  So, the challenge this week is to create a tile using only tiny dots.

tiny dots.  nothing but tiny dots. 
Another really neat thing you can experiment with is how close your dots are.  The closer, more densely packed your dots the darker it will be.

I actually didn't use any shading in this piece, just my micron and tiny dots.
I can't wait to see what you do... with only tiny little dots.

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  I just ask that you put in the subject line:  Challenge # ________

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??



22 comments:

  1. Such fun! I love your tile Laura! Happy belated Thanksgiving! What a great looking bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on grandma. what a blessing to stil have her around.
    I just love the challenge. I love drawing with dots. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your tile.....Lovely challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful family get together you had. It's provides many precious memories. Thanks for the challenge Laura but looking forward to getting the lines back next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear!!! I have just realised it was supposed to be a monotangle..

      Delete
  5. Hope you used the new camera for the photos! Thanks for a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, I love your tile, and I love all the family pics you shared!!!Looks like a wonderful family!!!
    I had fun with the tiny dots!! Thank you! :0) Peace be Yours

    ReplyDelete
  7. My second challenge, what a great idea so effective, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea!! I love the flexibility using pointillism.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great way to challenge us. Like the tile that you did. Did inspire to try some new things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura, I know we are free to interpret the challenge our own way, but I am wondering...when you said that the challenge is "to create a tile using only tiny dots," what was your intent regarding the border and string? Did you use a pencil and draw those in the traditional manner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hm, great question Amy. I suppose i just intended the tiny dots to be used as your tangle. I used pencil for my border and string, and then "filled" in the spaces with the dots. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  11. Laura - I'm a long time lurker & this week I did my first Diva Challenge. It was fun! However, my question is actually about your art journaling... What type of journal are you using in your Artistcellar postings? It looks like you have a large journal that lays flat for a 2 page spread, but I also see you have used some individual pages that seem to be removed from a journal that have rectangular holes down the side. I've been trying for years to find a journal that will work with mixed media pages or items pasted to pages that doesn't damage the binding or make it so lumpy that it doesn't want to close or lay flat. Suggestions? I'd appreciate it bunches & bunches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Kathryn,
      I've tried a couple of different types of journals, and thankfully the one i'm using now is pretty great. I'm Currently using a Strathmore 500 Series Mixed Media paper Journal. I bought 2 of them on Amazon.com last year, because i couldn't find them in Canada. HOWEVER, i believe that Michael's has started carrying them - they are about $30-40 or so?

      here's a link
      http://www.michaels.com/Strathmore%C2%AE-500-Series-Mixed-Media-Hardbound-Journal/fa2291,default,pd.html

      so far, it's holding up amazingly, and i am near the end of this volume. The cover is a faux-leather, and i have drawn a mandala on mine with a silver sharpie, it seems to be holding up.

      As long as the paper isn't TOO thick, i haven't had a problem adding pages here and there. I think adding a sheet of watercolour might be pushing it though. mostly i'm adding regular printer paper, or the odd cardstock page. Also, the paper is thick enough that it doesn't wrinkle under wet media, which is awesome. I hope that helps you... :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for the info! I've just found this journal at Jerrys Artarama - If you love this journal you should check out the huge sale they are having right now - prices from $11.54 - $21.44.

      http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/paper/drawing-and-multimedia-paper-and-boards/strathmore-paper-pads-and-boards/strathmore-hardbound-art-journals.htm

      I just got so excited about a $21 11x14 hardbound journal that I had to share!

      Delete
    3. Ooh, sweet!! i may have to check out their shipping prices...

      Delete
  12. I love your tile. It looks like a prairie landscape to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the challenge, Laura. It was inspiring as usual. It took me a while to get into the swing of it, and even longer to get it all posted, but it was fun, Keep bringing it on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laura, Thank you so very much for the time you take to put this site together! I am new to tangling... only discovered it a couple of months ago! This is my very first challenge to participate in. I had "dots of fun!" Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was a really fun challenge, Laura! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made a drawing in 2012. Its nog for the challenge, i just want to show it to you. I put it under mister linky. It toke me several hours to make, but it was so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!