Monday, October 21, 2013

Weekly Challenge #141

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, i've redone the code a few times... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva (a t) yahoo (d o t) com

Welcome back everyone.

in case you missed it on Friday, my new mixed media post is up on the Artist Cellar blog!! come check it out and say hi... comments make all the kittens of the world happy.  :)

Birthday Boy
This week we celebrated Artoo's 3rd birthday, and i still can't believe my baby is 3.  This has been simultaneously the LONGEST yet quickest three years of my life.

HOT DOGS!!  a birthday party staple
We had a small birthday party with friends on the weekend, the weather was miserable, but it was a perfect day.   The kids played with balloons and toys while i made lunch, then we all had hot dogs, and opened presents, then had some birthday cake, and that was it! Perfection.

Opening gifts!  there was a Ukelele inside this one!
To me, though, i think the best part was when B-rad and I sat down to watch Shrek in the afternoon with the boys, and we all fell asleep on the couch... well, not all.  Chewie was wide awake...  lol.

Also this week, Chewie decided on his Halloween Costume!  He's finally decided to be Harry Potter! But, this may have had something to do with the fact that we finished reading the third book, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, this weekend.

I've been really impressed at how much he was into this book.  He (mostly) paid attention and even remembered things later on, and was trying to deduce the ending as we read it together.  I'm so glad he loves this series, because it's so so good.  :D

Weekly Challenge #141: DuoTangle - Fengle/Quandry

Oh man, i loves me some DuoTangles. If you're brand new and have never heard of this fancy shmancy term - a DuoTangle is a term i came up with waaaaaay back when that describes a Zentangle piece done ENTIRELY with two tangles (and their tangleations).

 This week's challenge is to use ONLY the tangles Fengle, and Quandry.  (Follow the links for the step-outs)

I LOVE the look of both of these tangles.

I've done mine as a zendala, using a white sakura gelly roll pen and a soapstone pencil for shading, as well as a bit of white charcoal pencil and a Fabrico marker in cool grey for shading.  Also, i have to say that the new zentangle soap stone pencils blend beautifully!! like But-tah. ;)

have fun!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  I just ask that you put in the subject line:  Challenge # ________

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

13 comments:

  1. Your tile is beautiful. Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are two new patterns for me, can't wait for this evening after work to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I love you zendala tile! It has so much movement and depth, and your Quandary is perfect! I have a hard time with that one. Thanks for the challenge! Artoo is getting so big!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a good birthday celebration. and it's great to get your kids interested in books. here, when giving presents, there's always a book included. I have a daughter with adhd but she's always loved to read.
    both tangles were new to me. I love fengle. your tile is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  5. I struggle with getting quandry right, but oh well. It is in my own sort of loosey goosey style. LOVE the fengle. never used it before and it will soon become a favorite I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are both tough ones for me. I just don't like the way my fengles look and quandary keeps going funny, but I think I finally figured it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Laura! Great Challenge. Quandary is an awkward one for me (it's those rice bits!) so I haven't done it much. This gave me a chance to get to know it a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Laura... great combo! And since I missed last week's challenge (and a whole mess more), I thought I'd go crazy and do Fengle and Quandry ala challenge #140, with dots, AND on black tile! LOL... that got me going this week!
    Sadelle, CZT#7

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura, thank you for giving us your time to put together these weekly challenges. I am new to Zentangle so it's really helped in introducing all these wild an awesome tangles to me. I have been trying to go back and look at all of your past posts too!!!
    And it is always amazing to see your tiles as is looking at all the other talented CZTs out there!!! I hope you keep it up!! Thanks again for your precious time and talent!! :0) Peace be Yours Annette xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how your tile looks. I wish I could get Quandry to work for me but those little pieces of rice just want to slide out of the right spots. Well, that's what tangelation is for I suppose :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura, thanks for another challenge that causes me to expand my abilities, and adds new tangles to my arsenal. I have used Fengle and Quandary, but never very well. This challenge caused me to look at them in a different way, and I think I finally got them under control. Thanks, again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laura, the birthday celebration looked and sounded like bunches of fun for the kids! I had a great (although a little "challenging") time learning these two, new to me, tangles. I am very new to zentangle and have only learned a few tangles... Thus far, I have enjoyed them all! Thank you for the time and effort you put into your lovely site and art! You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!