Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Weekly Challenge #144

Happy Tuesday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:

  • If you're NEW here (and there've been a lot of new additions to the party!) I'm working on creating some tutorials to help you out.  You can click on the links above or:  See "Getting Started"  and "Tutorials
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right  sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs.  I will take the first two presented to each challenge. 
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, i've redone the code a few times... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva (a t) yahoo (d o t) com

Welcome back everyone.

in case you missed it on Friday, my new mixed media post is up on the Artist Cellar blog!! come check it out and say hi... comments make all the kittens of the world happy.  :)

It was a crazy whirlwind trip to Vancouver for Artoo's appointments.  It was a good trip, and Artoo is (thankfully) a great flier.

Happy as a clam, as long as he had chocolate milk and his dada.
 Here's a shot of the Rocky Mountains as we made our way back home.


When we got back from Vancouver, we were met with THIS.... snow.  Winter is finally here in The Skatch.  Chewie is happy to finally be able to play Hoth Base outside.

But one of the best things about winter is....

MMmmmm Hot Chocolate.  Or as we call it in our house: Hoth Chocolate. 


Like my mug? it's a Quandry!

Weekly Challenge #144: A Bug's Life

Last week i got a really interesting email from the Marketing Assistant of Sakura America.  (Sakura is the brand of choice for Certified Zentangle Teachers).   Samantha Taylor, CZT, has been working with Sakura on a really adorable video being released today!  SO!

Together, with Samantha Taylor, and Sakura America, we are debuting the video here on my blog! HUZZAH!!



Wasn't that just adorable?

Today's challenge is to take inspiration from the video!

Use colour to bring a  Zentangle tile to life!
Camouflage a bug somewhere in the tile. (i.e. a drawing of a bug, a bug-shaped tangle pattern, etc.) Create a tile inspired by nature!
Shade your tile using some colour!

here's mine! (I used one of Tam Laporte's Whimsey stencils, Butterfly Wings!)
Have fun with this!

Oh! and for more fun, Sakura is giving away two fun packages!
1.       Gelly Roll® Metallic™ 10 pack set
2.       Gelly Roll Stardust® 6 pack set
3.       Gelly Roll Stardust® clear 2pk

Unfortunately, these prize packs are only available for US or Canadian residents.

to enter please create a tile inspired by the video and tell me which number you are in the linkey list!

Good Luck!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here)

Also,  please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will post it here. (See the contact tab above for my email address).  I just ask that you put in the subject line:  Challenge # ________

The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam.  PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

37 comments:

  1. I so love your butterfly and you really have winter! Your butterfly makes a bright spot on a cooler day! Thanks again for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGOODNESS!! That was the happiest lil' video ever!!! It just made my day!!! Thank you,Laura!! And I really like your zenbutterfly!!! This is going to be a really fun challenge! I'm so glad your trip went well and pray that all is well with Artoo!! :0) Peace be Yours xo Annette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am entry number 4, Laura. I would love more gel pens from Sakura. That video was really fun to watch. Your butterfly is so nice with just that little splash of red. Snow? Our daytime temps are still in the 90's! I can't even imagine LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm # 6 - if I show up twice I apologize. I had my browser freeze up as I was posting so I did it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm number 8, and would love to have any gel pens as I don't have any colored pens I like to use yet--it'd be nice to find some that don't bleed and smudge like crazy. Love that butterfly. The wings are so dimensional!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for a really fun challenge, Laura. Loved the video and your tile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am #20, and would love to get my hands on some pens! I loved the video, it was so fun! Your butterfly is beautiful and I have been enjoying your other posts too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sweet, Laura! I'm #21 & would love to win some Gellis! I just have 3 of these pens & would love to have more! All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful challenge as always. I'm #22 on linkey and would love to win Sakura products.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Laura, I am Annette Carlo, I am # 24 on the Linky Machine, and I would LOVE to be entered in the give away for Sakura pens!!! Please Please Please!!! :0) Peace be Yours

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this challenge - but then I always do! I am number 25 on the linky machine and would love for "Santa" to give me an early gift! Ho - Ho!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this colourful challenge, gutted i dont count for the prizes but what a great incentive to enter. I borrowed some sakura stardust pens from my mum to try on my tile and they are amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your challenges are always great but this time it´s so wonderful. I love it! I´m # 33 on the Linky Machine and I would like to be entered to the give away for the sakura pens! In my country it´s so difficult to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Laura, I just entered my ZIA for the #144 challenge, I am #35. Love your challenges, wait for them every week, sometimes I can enter one!! Now I have a blog!!!!! yes, yes, yes thanks to my daughter, Delphine. So I will be able to participate more often,
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhhhh, this was the most fun challenge! I am # 36 on the linkey thing and am keeping my fingers crossed to win those pens. I love the bugs everyone has posted -- fantastically fun! Will you be making a collection of them to see them all in a slide show or something of the sort?

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  16. (I am # 37) Great challenge and good luck to all for winning the Sakura prizes. Personally I find the metallics really fun to work with.
    Also, glad to hear the trip to Vancouver for Artoo went well. He is a trooper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like your challenge. One of my students creates beautiful quilts and always includes a little ladybug in her quilting and embroidery. It's always fun trying to find the bug.
    Good to see Artoo and Chewie's development. Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok, I had to delete my last comment because suddenly Mister Linky doohickey decided I was #40...

    This challenge made my week! BUGS!
    You can find my challenge entries at lucky number (i hope) 40 on the Mister Linky. I sadly don't own any of Sakura's lovely shiny glittery pens, but I waaaaaant them bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am #43. Believe me...I don't usually do bugs! Creep me out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. #44 came up when I posted by ZIA. I hope it doesn't change. Would love to win some of those pens. :) The video was adorable. Thanks for sharing about your family. Have fun in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am #46, feelin' lucky and keeping my fingers crossed for one of those prize packs ;o)
    The video was terrific, wonder how long it took to make it?!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fun video and lovely butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fun challenge! I'm #53 linkey above. Diana Hirsch, CZT6

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! So many entries. I haven't time to look at them right now, but will do later! My own attempt is a stylized mandala concoction. Not my usual style. I resisted the temptation to fill the spaces with polka dots and knightsbridge.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fun! First time I tried to use color!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sorry forgot to tell you I'm #58!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Well, this was a fun challenge! I love bugs! Thanks for the weekly challenges. I don't always compete, but always look at all the entries.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am #61. Cute challenge. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Laura, you are doing a great job on this challenge! Thanks for all the hard work keeping it going. I am #63 this week and would love to win!!!
    NancyD

    ReplyDelete
  33. If I sent my entry by email, where do I find it on the blog? It is my first time entering, and I am unsure if I did it correctly. Thanks so much for the challenge, and for making it so easy to link to other blogs and see everyones beautiful artwork

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am #64 and would love to win some fun pens. Thanks for the challenges, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think I figured out how to create a blog, so I am #65. I hope this worked!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, Laura. As usual another great Challenge. I had a lot of fun with it. I am #66, and would love to win one of the Sakura pen packs. Thanks again for the work you do setting up these challenges; I look forward to them every week.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!