Monday, January 13, 2014

Weekly Challenge #150!

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:


  • If you're NEW here I've created a few tutorials to help you out. You can click on the links above or:   See "Getting Started" and "Tutorials"
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above (they are updated sporadically, please bear with me)
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs. A note about entering your images for the slideshows: Those of you without blogs or image sharing sites like flickr or picasa, please continue to email your images to weeklychallenge at mail dot com (not gmail, just mail). Everyone else - Please PLEASE PLEASE submit your SITE SPECIFIC URL in the linkey machine. I understand if sometimes you forget, that's fine. Compiling the slideshows is a lot of work, so any help in this regard is appreciated. Also, please do not use the Weekly Challenge as a way to drive traffic to your website if you are not participating. not cool.
  • i have set up a newsletter, sorta. You can subscribe to it HERE or in the Subscribe tab above! Now, the idea for this newsletter is NOT to send one each Monday before the challenges. That is too much work.  But i thought it might try to write a newsletter once a month-ish... Frankly, people kept asking me if i had a newsletter, so i thought i'd give it a try.
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, I've just redone the code...again.... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva (a t) yahoo (d o t) com

Hello my Tangly friends!!
I hope you all had a great week and are ready to tangle....

First, let's catch up on all the slideshows that went live this week! In case you missed them:

Weekly Challenge #141: DuoTangle Quandry Vs Fengle
Weekly Challenge #142: Comfort/Danger Zone
Weekly Challenge #143: UMT Cruze
Weekly Challenge #144: A Bug's Life
Weekly Challenge #145: New Tangle: Quib
Weekly Challenge #146: DuoTangle Peanuckle Vs Well

Also, i have some posts up on the Artist Cellar Blog if you care to pop over... my time there is almost over! My last post will be on February 28th!
Creating an Underpainting
Happy New Year
Just Make Art
Creating Keepsakes

This week was pretty cold, and i'm not going to lie - winter is hard in the Skatch.

I know that a lot of places in North America were dealing with way below normal temperatures, and something called Polar Vortex?  Anyway, dealing with temperatures of -50C (-58F) is not something that is NORMAL in Saskatchewan, but it's certainly not unheard of, either.

That being said, there is a lot of Cabin Fever that happens when skin freezes in less than five minutes.  Especially when said cabin is home to two small boys.

So, the first nice day we had, we threw chucked tossed sent the boys outside to play.


 Artoo only stayed out for a little while, but Chewie had lots of fun building a snow fort with his dad, and going down the snow covered slide on his belly.

Chewie also had a playdate with a friend from school this weekend, so we made some Star Wars cookies and and had some blue milk.


Sunday morning was pretty lazy, and the boys helped me make some pancakes for breakfast.  They were both pretty proud that they helped, and they made sure to tell their dad at breakfast that they did the stirring.


This week B-rad celebrated his birthday.  Unfortunately he wasn't feeling very well, so it was  low-key day for us.  I painted a bit in the studio and he played some video games then we went to bed.

We had a big family supper on Sunday at my parents', though, a combination of his birthday and Christmas.  My brother's family was in New Mexico over Christmas, so it was the first chance we had for all of us to get together... but Christmas is now officially done.  phew!

B-rad liked his cake.   :)


Weekly Challenge #150: One Little Word
I know that the i said that this week would be the UMT challenge that should have been last week, but i figured that my blog = my rules, and what's the fun of being the boss if you can't bend the rules?? Stay tuned for a UMT challenge in the near future....

Around the internet arting/crafting world you may see people talking about their one little word for the year.  One Little Word started (i believe) on Ali Edwards website and she offers an online course you can take...  My understanding is that you pick one word that you want to be your focus for the year.  I've not taken any of her courses, so i could be wrong, but last year i picked a word: "Emergence" which means the process of being seen or coming into ones own self. 

This year, my word or focus is "Open"

o·pen

adjective
  1. 1.
    allowing access, passage, or a view through an empty space; not closed or blocked up.

  2. 2.
    exposed to the air or to view; not covered.












verb
  1. 1.
    move or adjust so as to leave a space allowing access and view.



  2. 2.
    unfold or be unfolded; spread out.



noun
  1. 1.
    a championship or competition with no restrictions on who may qualify to compete.
  2. 2.
    an accidental break in the conducting path for an electrical current.

It's so perfect for me.  I think.

Have you picked a word for 2014?  Maybe you'd like to?
The challenge for this week is to do a tile or ZIA based on your One Little Word!  If you don't want to pick a word for the year - the please feel free to do your challenge submission inspired by the word "open!"

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com) [not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________ 
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
 I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??


23 comments:

  1. Laura, our minds must be tracking alike! I have shared my post from Dec. 27 when I decided on my word of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, i love STRETCH as a focus word!! and how cool is it that we both chose Open? love it.

      Delete
  2. Laura, I have been toying with the word "Emergence" for myself this year. Another I like (but it's two words) is "Mindful Intentions". I guess I should decide soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Emergence. It's a good one... especially looking back at the year. Without knowing, i've put myself on a path to be seen more. ;) With my blog rolling over 1,000,000 hit this year and with doing my posts for ArtistCellar and working on my presence on my instagram account... (@iamthediva) i have made myself more 'seen'. now for the coming into one's own self... but i think that is a life's work in progress. ;D

      Delete
  3. I had more or less decided that "mindful" might be a good word for the year, so the challenge this week makes it official for me. I have already done five tangles of mindful, one for each letter, and will finish the last letter(L)today, but will now do a special tangle for mindful as the challenge. Good challenge, Laura!

    Also want to let you know that I love the pic of your boys stirring the pancake batter. I can see Artoo's smile in it, and that's just such a precious sight. One thing I've enjoyed about this site is being able to watch him grow.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tile and a great word. Since my official word was "Faith" (as you know), I decided to choose a different word for this week: THANKS. And I did it in Gallifreyan, just for you. (And to thank everyone who has been helping me feed the hungry kids in Haiti.) I'm also thankful that we're no longer having Canadian weather :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly not original, but my word is "Zentangle". My plan is to immerse myself in this love of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, fantastic tile. Love the thought you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Open' is a lovely word to choose and I do so agree with your sentiments - love the 'opened' effect on your tile too. I have chosen 'Inspire' - and aim to find myself inspired this year but also to inspire others when and where I can. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am brand new to Zentangle. I started just before Thanksgiving. This is my first time participating in any kind of link up or challenge, but since I already had a piece done on topic, I thought I'd give it a go.

    Thank you all for sharing your work. I learn so much from studying your pieces. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the first challenge I have taken part in. I will hopefully be coming back for more.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the challenge this week, and it's so cool that I was doing a project that fit with it so well. My tile for the challenge was a 20-minute piece of pure joy. So happy to be a tangler and grateful for you and your hard work on this site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for this challenge, I had never thought of focussing on one word like this before. Last week's challenge was my first and I really enjoyed visiting everyone's entries and seeing how very different they all were.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Laura! I love your Zia! i tried that affect on my Challenge last week but did not conquer it as well as you! Is there a step out, or info on doing the torn paper look? Yours looks fabulous!! Oh, and I have to say, I am enjoying this week's challenge and can't help to read everybody's posts. They are all so thoughtful and meaningful. Such AWESOMENESS!!! Thank You for bringing us all together, with your challenges!! You are Awesome!! :0) Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first challenge, I've really enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I have just realised I linked wrong... sorry, it was my first go. No 41 (me - is incorrect and can be deleted), I thought it would just amend and fix up the link when I added the correct url, but it's added me twice. Sorry for the mistake, I will make sure I don't make it again

      Delete
  14. Posted my entry with the word ACTION... time for me to get up off my butt and do stuff, FUN STUFF!!! ;-)
    I love all of the entries and the thoughts behind them. Excellent group everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Diva,
    what a nice challenge. It forced me to try something new and I really liked it!
    Can't wait to go on with the next challenge ;)

    Greetz, Filia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool Challenge, Thanks for sharing!!! I know it's only one word and I only chose one word "Peace" the other 3 words are the kind of "Peace" I am striving for.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the challenge, I hope my entry isn't too late!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Better late then never…Just posted my tile….hope you all are doing great…..wishing a very happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are making me do artwork each week! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!