Monday, March 31, 2014

Weekly Challenge #161

Happy Monday everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here I've created a few tutorials to help you out. You can click on the links above or:   See "Getting Started" and "Tutorials"
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above (they are updated sporadically, please bear with me)
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs. A note about entering your images for the slideshows: Those of you without blogs or image sharing sites like flickr or picasa, please continue to email your images to weeklychallenge at mail dot com (not gmail, just mail). Everyone else - Please PLEASE PLEASE submit your SITE SPECIFIC URL in the linkey machine. I understand if sometimes you forget, that's fine. Compiling the slideshows is a lot of work, so any help in this regard is appreciated. Also, please do not use the Weekly Challenge as a way to drive traffic to your website if you are not participating. not cool.
  • i have set up a newsletter, sorta. You can subscribe to it HERE or in the Subscribe tab above! Now, the idea for this newsletter is NOT to send one each Monday before the challenges. That is too much work.  But i thought it might try to write a newsletter once a month-ish... Frankly, people kept asking me if i had a newsletter, so i thought i'd give it a try.
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, I've just redone the code...again.... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva (a t) yahoo (d o t) com
Hello my Tangly friends!

Hope you had a great week, i know i have!

We've been playing some Lego, behold our Lego family...

We are so cute.
 I've also been working in my Documented Life Planner... any other DLPers out there?  i am totally loving this project.
my happy planner
 Chewie and i also had some time this weekend to play the Wii - he was pretty excited to finish a level, we are a good team.

PROUD

I also received my CZT Trading cards this week, they are so cute - i'm excited to hand these out at zentangle meetups... this also means that i need to attend more zentangle meetups. ;)

Check out Sandy Steen Bartholomew's blog to get your own...
she also designed trading cards for Zentangle Addicts
 This week the temperatures dropped back down below freezing.  Someday we will have spring, but until then.... I've signed up to volunteer for a program at the YWCA called Just Tri-It, a mini triathlon. I did the program 5 years ago after Chewie was born, and my one take-a-way from the Just Tri-It program was that i'm not a triathlete.  I'm a runner.  So I am a run team volunteer.

Go Team Green!! Running in -6C because we are hardcore.  (21F)
 If you're following me on instagram (@iamthediva) you will see that i've signed up to do the #100days project, here are some of my happy moments....
Chewie is very excellent at drawing Spongebob Squarepants and Patrick Star
Saturday mornings are made for pancakes and bacon
i got to snuggle with my girlfriend's little guy - he's so cute.


Oh, and the other exciting news in my life is this: 
oh holy moly
I signed up to do my first ever 10k run this spring... i'm only slightly terrified, but i am super excited to cross this off my bucket list.  ...hold me...

Weekly Challenge #161: "In a Quandary about Quandary"
There's a lot of discussion among CZTs on the best way to do this tangle... 
This week's challenge is a practice challenge - to find the way that works for you.  For ME i concentrate on one seed then building a triangle off it. 

You can see the step outs from Rick and Maria for this tangle here.

I just wanted to add here that a lot of people get concerned that their version of quandry is not 'perfect' or that it's not symmetrical - and i'd like to counter those concerns with "So what?" in my humble opinion those imperfections make the tangle interesting and give it character.  Trust yourself - you got this!!


Have a great week!!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com[not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________ 
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
 I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

27 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tile you've done! And thanks for making Quandry the challenge - it's a tangle that I avoid because it causes me stress. However, I know that if I just spend some time with it, I'll come to enjoy it and find it easier (like tripoli). It's time now for Quandry! Thanks Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quandry! My Nemesis..:( Avoid it as it gives me ulcers! But its a Challenge and I hope by the time Im done I will be able to draw it better..:) Your tile is awesome Laura and thanks for the Challenge!. You and the kids look great...:) HUGS....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nifty challenge, Laura.
    What a lovely, and tidy [!] tile you made.
    My past adventure with quandary when I used it as background in challenge 141 was soo messy,[https://www.flickr.com/photos/lookingatnow/10475327464/
    Then I discovered that if I imagined the seeds as hands of a clock, arranged at 12-2-4-6-8-10, they hooked together easy-peasey
    Now to find out if the muscles remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First link is a video how to draw Quandary without grid...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O157ohw0hc&index=15&list=PLGAZuRY82wMyTnHH-CsYhHeWblxLpjn9o

    and this link is about drawing Quandary with grid:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4LZbKOJs5k&index=16&list=PLGAZuRY82wMyTnHH-CsYhHeWblxLpjn9o

    HAPPY TANGLING AND GOOD LUCK!!!
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love quandary! Thanks Laura. I love your tile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first post. seeing if it works

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a huge fan of quandary and this week I had made a little mental challenge to be one of the first 10 to finish my tile. So thanks, Laura for a real challenge. I'm not thrilled with how mine came out, but adding color made it fun. I'm happy with my tangling growth you have inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is the 100 days project?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool planning and good luck running :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Laura!!! Another great challenge, and your Quandary tile is so beautiful!! I just love how those renaissance tiles look, all tangled up! Like your CZT trading card too! You and your family are such cuties!! Anyway, I made a step out of how I do Quandary. Hopefully it'll be helpful to someone! Have an awesome week!!! XO Share Humanity :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quandry really is a challenge! I hope I find the time to do a tile this week. At the moment I work on my "one tangle a day" calender a dear friend gave me.

    The trading card looks stunning and I have to admit that I'm a little jealous that you have Zentangle meetups!? I try to plan something like this with a few tangle friends in my apartment. I'm sure it will be fun to tangle together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow definitely a challenge this week. After many attempts on scraps I finally worked out how to get some order to my Quandry so that the petals at least meet up although by no means perfect!
    Love looking at the family pictures and good luck with the 10k. Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the challenge! I think I may have finally mastered Quandary! Good luck with your run.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My quandary was less about how to draw such a super-static pattern than figuring out how to get some flow while doing it.
    Haven't discovered it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO enjoyed this one, Laura. I love your tile and have popped back to admire it several times. It works so well, morphing elegantly into Mooka. For me, it's been an excuse to practice, practice and practice. And I've seen some improvement, which is good. Thank you, Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your challenge is really a challenge. Your tile is great. I like your highlighting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for this! I feel like I'm finally getting the hand of this tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the color in this wonderful example of "Quandary", Laura. Thank you for another week of cute pictures of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great challenge. I was in the CZT class when Quandary was introduced. It is a great tangle. Looking forward to seeing all the different things that people do with it. Like your tile and the transition with Mooka.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, I am Annette from Munich and I follow your blog this weeks. I am a very beginnger in Zentangle. Now I tried to do the Challange.. :-). I love all the tangles.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I look forward to seeing your pictures of your family each week. Oh, yes I like your Quandary as well but it's not nearly as cute as those two little boys!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just posted for the first time...hope its up to par with everyone else's!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just posted here for the first time this week. Quandry is certainly a challenge for me. I'm looking forward to many more! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your Documented Life Planner is gorgeous!! I want to start one now. Thanks as always for the weekly challenge, although quandary definitely isn't my jam, I like to work on things I am not super strong at sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good to see in these comments that I am not the only person who considered this a real challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ok. I did it!! It was hard! Thanks for keeping us on our toes!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Another great challenge, Laura. I usually do all right with Quandary: not always symmetrical, but usually recognizable. I love your tile; the Renaissance tiles really are a good backdrop for Zentangle.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!