Monday, May 5, 2014

Weekly Challenge #166

Happy Monday Morning everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here I've created a few tutorials to help you out. You can click on the links above or:   See "Getting Started" and "Tutorials"
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above (they are updated sporadically, please bear with me)
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs. A note about entering your images for the slideshows: Those of you without blogs or image sharing sites like flickr or picasa, please continue to email your images to weeklychallenge at mail dot com (not gmail, just mail). Everyone else - Please PLEASE PLEASE submit your SITE SPECIFIC URL in the linkey machine. I understand if sometimes you forget, that's fine. Compiling the slideshows is a lot of work, so any help in this regard is appreciated. Also, please do not use the Weekly Challenge as a way to drive traffic to your website if you are not participating. not cool.
  • i have set up a newsletter, sorta. You can subscribe to it HERE or in the Subscribe tab above! Now, the idea for this newsletter is NOT to send one each Monday before the challenges. That is too much work.  But i thought it might try to write a newsletter once a month-ish... Frankly, people kept asking me if i had a newsletter, so i thought i'd give it a try.
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, I've just redone the code...again.... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva (a t) yahoo (d o t) com
Hello my Tangly friends!

So.  This week it snowed.  Yeah, the last week of April, you'd expect April Showers and all that, not blankets of snow...

Hi!
On Tuesday we had 2 inches of snow, but by the afternoon it was +10C (50F) and the snow had melted and me and the boys got outside for a bit of chalk on the sidewalk and pinecone collecting.

Chewie has always loved pinecones
Thankfully the nicer weather made it more appealing to get outside and run - and so i was able to get 2 OUT DOOR runs in this week! yay! I'm still a little bit terrified of my upcoming 10K race... that's happening on May 25... here's hoping i survive.
these are the ladies i've been running with.  So fun.
Artoo has been sick for the last half of the week.  For those of you who are new, Artoo's condition (Moebius Syndrome) make it difficult for him to handle illnesses, like the common cold.  B-rad and i spent a good 3 days staying on top of his cold and helping him with secretions, and thankfully the cold never got to his lungs.  He's doing much better now.  Aside from the constant coughing and runny nose, you would have never guessed he was sick though.  He was as happy as a clam.

To cap off the rough end to the week, B-rad suggested i go out with some friends for a beer and nachos, and i wasn't about to say no to that.  So here's the friends...
mah pretties
and here are the nachos!!
OM NOM NOM
These were seriously the biggest nachos i'd ever seen... and they're served on the lid of a keg! There were three of us, and we barely put a dent into those nachos.  i'd be surprised if we even managed to eat half.  Oh, we will be going back there some day!!!  mm.  Ohhhh those nachos.

Weekly Challenge #166: UMT Diva style
Hey Hey Hey!!
Yep, i know.  Last week was a UMT challenge as well!  But, today *actually* is the first Monday of the month... and it's also May... Which is the month of my birthday.  (May 12 in case you're wondering...that's next week!) And so i figured this month i would use the UMT challenge to show you the step outs for my new tangle.

Last week i posted the page i did in my journal while battle insomnia.  (You can see it here.) and i captioned the photo "Not quite a tangly thing, but relaxing".  Later in the week  i got an email from Lianne Woods, CZT, who called me on it and asked me to explain why it wasn't a tangly thing.  So, i started to reply to her, but really - i couldn't come up with any reasons why it couldn't be a tangle.  I think my initial resistance to calling it a tangle was become it came from a bit of doodling i did on a separate page where i was writing a list.  But when i moved it to a separate page, and tried to recreate the doodle in a deliberate way - tah-dah! i created a tangle.

There's been quite a bit of debate online, and between CZTs right now regarding zentangle and doodling.  Some very passionate viewpoints are being discussed, and i don't really want to get into a big debate here - but my own personal opinion, and what i teach in my classes, is that doodling is not done mindfully.  Zentangle is done with intention, each stroke made deliberately, because you want it there.  My fellow Saskatonian Margaret Bremner, CZT wrote a really great article about this; you can see it here.  i love this quote:
Tangling can look deceptively like doodling, but doodling it is not.
Doodling is something you do with your hands while your thoughts are
elsewhere, and can be very useful in some circumstances. In contrast,
this art form is very focused. Your attention is on the pen, the paper,
the flow of the ink, the patterns, the drawing; each stroke is drawn
consciously and deliberately.
Anyway, without further ado - i give you my new tangle for you to try out.  It is like a variation of Carole Ohl (CTZ)'s tangle "Tink" and uses the method of drawing behind and is similar to Hollibaugh.


My tips are: Use a variety of sizes for the circles and place them randomly... the more random the cooler it looks.
To keep the connecting lines straight/parallel to each other.  try not to angle out, it's okay if the edges of the circles don't 'line up'.

OH - and you may have also noticed that this particular tangle is not named.  So, if you have an idea for a name for this tangle, leave it in the comments and i'll pick one next week!  I was toying with *Somnee* because i had insomnia when it came about - but what do you guys think?

For those of you who don't know, the first Monday of the month, is a UMT Challenge (Use My Tangle), where the challenge is to learn and use a tangle created by one of you! It's awesome for me, because i don't have time to try all the new tangles i see on the web on a regular basis. This challenge makes sure i'm at least learning ONE new tangle a month...

if you have a tangle you'd like to submit, please follow this link for the guidelines for submissions. Each month's tangle is chosen at random bywww.random.org 

Have a great week!!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com[not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________ 
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
 I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

58 comments:

  1. Fun, fun, fun! Thanks for the challenge and the step out instructions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, my first link didn't work.

      Delete
  2. :) Thank you for that easy but funny tangle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a fun-and-easy. I've combined its stop-and-go effect with Diva Dance to help you keep moving along your marathon route, so... drumroll...I name you "DivaThon".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that... comparing it to running with the start and stops. :D

      Delete
  4. Such a fun tangle. I think that you should name it in honor of your birthday somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about that. My previous naming scheme has been to name tangles after my family. Artoo, Boo*kee, and Undine... but i feel weird naming it after myself - plus i already have Diva Dance.

      Delete
    2. Ok, How about LBDay, for Laura's Birthday?

      Delete
  5. Hmmm...a name.... This reminds me of Tinkertoy, building monumental things with wooden wheels and spokes as connectors. Check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinkertoy
    Way too many options for names...a plethora...
    Construct/Construkt (everything is cooler with a "k")
    Pajeau
    Pyth
    Spool/Spools/Spoolz (everything is cooler with a "z")
    Tink (but maybe too close to Disney fairy Tinkerbell)
    Coupling/Couplings/Couplingz
    ...and on and on and on... :)
    Diana Hirsch, CZT6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, i know what you mean about the tinkertoy thing. Carole's tangle Tink is very similar to this one, and is named that because of tinkertoys. :D great minds!! i kinda like spoolz though!

      Delete
  6. Oh...note the above...I did not do a search on any of the names to see if they're previously claimed.
    Diana Hirsch, CZT6

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a fun one.
    Joyce - A Zentangle Enthusiast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how about going with the start/stop and calling it redlight greenlight?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks kinda like the Falkirk Wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Laura for that tangle. It reminds me of my chemistry lessons about molecules and atoms therefore my suggestion for a name is moleca.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, Laura. I have successfully entered my info into the Linky machine and am #14. Come visit my "Crazy Rabbit Trail" that's what I'm suggesting for the name of your new tangle. It's an easy one to draw and I really got into the "zone" while doing it...my mind just had a total relaxing encounter while drawing every little line and circle. Thanks kiddo. from Duane.

    ReplyDelete
  12. By the way, Laura, I forgot to mention...I really like those friends of yours....you all are way to cute to be out on your own....happy cinco de mayo.
    from Duane.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Laura

    I'm one of Lianne Woods students (in Australia for those of you who don't know her). I had a class with her last week after I had seen your 'not a tangly thing' and asked her why it wasn't a tangle! I began tangling it in the small wee hours during my own insomnical (is that a word??) bouts and it really helps. Why not simply "Insomnia"? - after all that word/name doesn't influence the tangler as to what it should look like.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your new tangle Laura. It reminds me of Popsicle stick art so I would like to suggest the name Stix.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Somnee sounds a super name, it's definitely a sensational tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed this tangle. I found that I really like connecting dots. I too like the name "Somnee" for your pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I suggest 'ANAMIKA' name. It means, in many Indian languages, some one or some thing that has 'no name'!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the tangle, Laura. Very relaxing. It flows really nicely once I get into drawing it. My suggestion for a name would be Cella, for "celebrate Laura". Thank you for sharing your new tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was thinking it reminded me of my brother's erector set when we were kids. But the tangle name 'Erect' might have a few -ahem - problems. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read your message and,.........I good a good chuckle out of it!! :0)

      Delete
  20. It's good to see you having fun. Love the new tangle too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fun tangle :) I hope your baby is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Laura, this was a fun pattern! I've liked Think before, but I really enjoyed it with more lines. I felt quite inspired by this one. Thanks!

    Following on Sue's Erector set idea, how about Erectink (combines Erector and Think). Wow, it keeps autocorrecting to "Think". Just remove the h as in Carole's pattern name.

    I think Tinker would be a good name.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Laura, since doing the tangle got you over the insomnia, I suggest "lullabe" (a riff on lullaby)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Laura, I love the new tangle!! And I do like the name "Somnee", but I thought that might bring a bad feeling every time you use it. So what about "Partee Nitezzz"? ( I added a few extra ZZZs since you were lacking them, and then I just hope that you will be out Partying on your birthday til' the wee hours.) It's a fun tangle I'm kinda glad you didn't get sleep that night,,(jk) otherwise we wouldn't have this new challenge. Love all the pics!! Your awesome!! :0) Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or Logzzz! My brothers played with Lincoln Logs when they were little and they remind me of them too. Plus a little extra ZZZZs for the ones you didn't get from insomnia! :0)

      Delete
  25. Cool tangle. It reminds me of Snap Circuits toys. Here's a link to show what I mean http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-SC-100-Snap-Circuits-Jr/dp/B00008BFZH

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope Artoo is feeling better by now. Thank you for the fun pattern and the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you Laura for a fun tangle. I love the name that Dilip brought up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Connex (because your tangle reminds me of the building things my sons used to play with)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Meccano (after those retro linky toy things) :)
    I hope your family are all much better now. Thanks for all your efforts in organising these weekly challenges for us Laura - much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  30. A fun tangle ... thank you Laura! So many suggestions for a name ... I like MsLalynn´s "Connex"!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great tangle - thanks for sharing it along with your, as always, inspiring challenges. I think the name Somnee is great - it reminds me of a sci-fi drug! Another suggestion might be Twang - as it looks like it would make that sound if you could pluck it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I did a tangleation, substituting Meer for the lines. This was one of those drawings that you have a hard time knowing when to stop. I usually don't stop in time, so I was careful to this time. I like the white space and the simplicity of this monotangle.

    I nominate the name "Lyncs" because of the way they link up with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very cool tangle, Laura! I'm glad you gave it its due and called it a tangle! After seeing Ken Zutter's version, I want to say it looks like bike chains -- or links! So many good name suggestions -- and suggestive names ("erector"). :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Like tangles that use a few of the basic strokes of Zentangle® in their simplest form. This one does. was fun to do. Do not have a name suggestion, but looks like people have come up with some good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  35. A very fun pattern to draw with a nice, bold look to it. So fun to see what other people come up with, too. I am going to vote for Dilip's name suggestion, but Somnee is also good.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your new tangle, Laura. In honor of you and it, my choice for a name is "Laurole" which uses your name and the feeling of circles.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love this new tangle, Laura! It's a bold tangle, so I used a big markers to tangle it in my altered book. I'm curious how you're going to call it (sorry, no suggestion from me!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I think Somnee is an excellent name. Some of the suggestions are just too long for my liking. There are plenty of tangle names already that suggest gears, wheels, etc.. Somnee seems different somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  39. i wish I had come across this last evening as I was working on a challenge with friends and we were only to use tangles who's names start with S. somnee would be perfect. back to the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete
  40. That's a fun tangle and the more you turn your tile around the more you see how you can connect different orbs together! I am useless about coming up with names, so sorry, but I have nothing to offer in that area!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I think you should name it NQATT (for Not Quite a Tangley Thing) or NATT. (Because the Q would be hard to pronounce!)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Fun tangle and challenge. My vote is for Somnee!

    ReplyDelete
  43. really had a go at the industrial nature of this tangle ....what a fun time! ...used tacks and rivets and gears and wheels and anything that came to mind...there was a movie several years back with a stellar cast (Tom Hanks.Hugh 'whats his face' (English guy) lol sorry terrible with names.....Halle Berry...etc.... one of the characters in the film was a humanoid and her name was Somnee...wierd eh? all the association for me with this tangle is Sci fi... Grant! Hugh Grant...llol

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks for the new tangle. I had fun playing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I really had fun with this pattern. I'm adding it to my Zentangle "Bible" of patterns. My suggestion for a name is Plinko. If you have a chance to check out my blog post with my ZIA using this pattern you'll understand my name suggestion. Congratulations for creating a wonderful new pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I tried to enter my comment once already; I hope it works this time. I finally got to post my finished tile/s. Great tangle, Laura. I'm sure I'll use it again. Can't come up with any names better than those already suggested. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I loved this tangle so much I've been playing with it all week. This one is version umpteenth.

    ReplyDelete
  48. dear laura,first of all:happy birthday,wonderful that you are on this earth,that you put so much energy and time for the challenge.when i started with the no-name tangle,i thought "i don't like it".but after some time,my fantasy started to flow in never-ending direction.thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  49. So-o-o... is it Somnee? or something else? hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  50. I have been absence for more than a year I believe, but try to participate again. I'm late for this one though. Happy Belated Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!