Happy Monday Morning everyone!First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
- If you're NEW here I've created a few tutorials to help you out. You can click on the links above or: See "Getting Started" and "Tutorials"
- To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above (they are updated sporadically, please bear with me)
- Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
- The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs. A note about entering your images for the slideshows: Those of you without blogs or image sharing sites like flickr or picasa, please continue to email your images to weeklychallenge at mail dot com (not gmail, just mail). Everyone else - Please PLEASE PLEASE submit your SITE SPECIFIC URL in the linkey machine. I understand if sometimes you forget, that's fine. Compiling the slideshows is a lot of work, so any help in this regard is appreciated. Also, please do not use the Weekly Challenge as a way to drive traffic to your website if you are not participating. not cool.
- i have set up a newsletter, sorta. You can subscribe to it HERE or in the Subscribe tab above! Now, the idea for this newsletter is NOT to send one each Monday before the challenges. That is too much work. But i thought it might try to write a newsletter once a month-ish... Frankly, people kept asking me if i had a newsletter, so i thought i'd give it a try.
- I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, I've just redone the code...again.... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva (a t) yahoo (d o t) com
So. This week it snowed. Yeah, the last week of April, you'd expect April Showers and all that, not blankets of snow...
|Chewie has always loved pinecones|
|these are the ladies i've been running with. So fun.|
To cap off the rough end to the week, B-rad suggested i go out with some friends for a beer and nachos, and i wasn't about to say no to that. So here's the friends...
|OM NOM NOM|
Weekly Challenge #166: UMT Diva style
Hey Hey Hey!!
Yep, i know. Last week was a UMT challenge as well! But, today *actually* is the first Monday of the month... and it's also May... Which is the month of my birthday. (May 12 in case you're wondering...that's next week!) And so i figured this month i would use the UMT challenge to show you the step outs for my new tangle.
Last week i posted the page i did in my journal while battle insomnia. (You can see it here.) and i captioned the photo "Not quite a tangly thing, but relaxing". Later in the week i got an email from Lianne Woods, CZT, who called me on it and asked me to explain why it wasn't a tangly thing. So, i started to reply to her, but really - i couldn't come up with any reasons why it couldn't be a tangle. I think my initial resistance to calling it a tangle was become it came from a bit of doodling i did on a separate page where i was writing a list. But when i moved it to a separate page, and tried to recreate the doodle in a deliberate way - tah-dah! i created a tangle.
There's been quite a bit of debate online, and between CZTs right now regarding zentangle and doodling. Some very passionate viewpoints are being discussed, and i don't really want to get into a big debate here - but my own personal opinion, and what i teach in my classes, is that doodling is not done mindfully. Zentangle is done with intention, each stroke made deliberately, because you want it there. My fellow Saskatonian Margaret Bremner, CZT wrote a really great article about this; you can see it here. i love this quote:
Tangling can look deceptively like doodling, but doodling it is not.Anyway, without further ado - i give you my new tangle for you to try out. It is like a variation of Carole Ohl (CTZ)'s tangle "Tink" and uses the method of drawing behind and is similar to Hollibaugh.
Doodling is something you do with your hands while your thoughts are
elsewhere, and can be very useful in some circumstances. In contrast,
this art form is very focused. Your attention is on the pen, the paper,
the flow of the ink, the patterns, the drawing; each stroke is drawn
consciously and deliberately.
My tips are: Use a variety of sizes for the circles and place them randomly... the more random the cooler it looks.
To keep the connecting lines straight/parallel to each other. try not to angle out, it's okay if the edges of the circles don't 'line up'.
OH - and you may have also noticed that this particular tangle is not named. So, if you have an idea for a name for this tangle, leave it in the comments and i'll pick one next week! I was toying with *Somnee* because i had insomnia when it came about - but what do you guys think?
For those of you who don't know, the first Monday of the month, is a UMT Challenge (Use My Tangle), where the challenge is to learn and use a tangle created by one of you! It's awesome for me, because i don't have time to try all the new tangles i see on the web on a regular basis. This challenge makes sure i'm at least learning ONE new tangle a month...
if you have a tangle you'd like to submit, please follow this link for the guidelines for submissions. Each month's tangle is chosen at random bywww.random.org
Have a great week!!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com) [not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??