Happy Monday Morning everyone!First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
- If you're NEW here I've created a few tutorials to help you out. You can click on the links above or: See "Getting Started" and "Tutorials"
- To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above (they are updated sporadically, please bear with me)
- Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
- The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs. A note about entering your images for the slideshows: Those of you without blogs or image sharing sites like flickr or picasa, please continue to email your images to weeklychallenge at mail dot com (not gmail, just mail). Everyone else - Please PLEASE PLEASE submit your SITE SPECIFIC URL in the linkey machine. I understand if sometimes you forget, that's fine. Compiling the slideshows is a lot of work, so any help in this regard is appreciated. Also, please do not use the Weekly Challenge as a way to drive traffic to your website if you are not participating. not cool.
- i have set up a newsletter, sorta. You can subscribe to it HERE or in the Subscribe tab above! Now, the idea for this newsletter is NOT to send one each Monday before the challenges. That is too much work. But i thought it might try to write a newsletter once a month-ish... Frankly, people kept asking me if i had a newsletter, so i thought i'd give it a try.
- I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, I've just redone the code...again.... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva (a t) yahoo (d o t) com
Thanks for the break last week, i really needed it. What an amazing event we held last weekend!!
|My dad, running for Artoo|
My family all came out to support our cause - we were raising money for Beads of Courage programs in Saskatchewan.
|the 2014 Beads of Courage Colour Festival Fun Run Dream Team|
(L-R: Danielle, Ali, ME, Jen, TARA, and MARYANN)
My girlfriend Tara and i organized a 5KM colour fun run last year (with the help of a wonderful woman named Maryann) because both of our kids are members of the program here. From there we grew to a team of six people, it we were officially a committee. We were so very lucky to have found such great people to work with!
|Me, taking a quick lap between working|
|The Diva Family!|
Weekly Challenge #171: "Beads of Courage"
For those of you who don't know, Beads of Courage is an Arts in Medicine program that supports children and their families who are dealing with Life threatening or Chronic illnesses.
A child on the program would collect beautiful glass beads in recognition of the things whey have to go through in their daily lives, on their Medical Journey. When a child goes to yet another doctor's appointment, they'd get a glass bead, when they need to have a needle, they get a glass bead. Each bead on their strings represent something they've done or gone through.
|This is Artoo's bead string, from just his first year of life.|
Needle pokes, overnight stays in hospital, isolation, mobility challenges like bed rest or casting, hair changes, tube insertions or removals, therapies, doctors appointments, surgeries, xrays, ultrasounds, infusions, radiation, oxygen/respiratory support, procedures...
As kids collect beads for their strings, they have a tangible way to show their friends and family just what they've gone through. In an interview for our run, i told the reporter if my son (artoo) ever feels like he's not brave, i can show him his beads and say: look at everything you've done! yes, you are brave.
This week, be inspired by courage. At our run we had a big banner where our runners could write a message of what gives them courage - last year our banner hung in Acute Paediatric Care at Royal University Hospital for over 6 months. The Recreation coordinator (Hi Shaylene!) said that families would stand in front of it, and read all those messages. So amazing.
You could use beads as inspiration for your string, or for inspiration for your tangles, or perhaps you know someone who is being particularly strong and courageous right now and you may be inspired by them!
for me, my inspiration is Artoo.
Have a great week!!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com) [not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??