Monday, June 16, 2014

Weekly Challenge #172

Happy Monday Morning everyone!
First of all, as always - a few house keeping items:
  • If you're NEW here I've created a few tutorials to help you out. You can click on the links above or:   See "Getting Started" and "Tutorials"
  • To see all the past weekly challenges - click the tabs above (they are updated sporadically, please bear with me)
  • Please grab the button for the Weekly Challenge (on the right sidebar) to display on your blogs! share the fun!
  • The limit of submissions to the slideshow is TWO, but please feel free to post as many as you like to your blogs. A note about entering your images for the slideshows: Those of you without blogs or image sharing sites like flickr or picasa, please continue to email your images to weeklychallenge at mail dot com (not gmail, just mail). Everyone else - Please PLEASE PLEASE submit your SITE SPECIFIC URL in the linkey machine. I understand if sometimes you forget, that's fine. Compiling the slideshows is a lot of work, so any help in this regard is appreciated. Also, please do not use the Weekly Challenge as a way to drive traffic to your website if you are not participating. not cool.
  • i have set up a newsletter, sorta. You can subscribe to it HERE or in the Subscribe tab above! Now, the idea for this newsletter is NOT to send one each Monday before the challenges. That is too much work.  But i thought it might try to write a newsletter once a month-ish... Frankly, people kept asking me if i had a newsletter, so i thought i'd give it a try.
  • I know that some of you have told me that the paypal button does not work, and some of you have had no trouble, i'm not sure why it's inconsistent, I've just redone the code...again.... If all else fails you can donate to my paypal address which is madam_diva (a t) yahoo (d o t) com
Hello my Tangly friends!

Summer is just about in full swing, up here at Casa Diva!
Sometimes Birthday moustaches happen.
 My girlfriend Tara and i got a chance to celebrate a friend's birthday - it was a wine tasting party, which i thought was just the bees knees, cuz i'm all about the wine... and all the cheese.  so much brie. mmmm.

Always some sweet Lego Creations happenin' here....
Chewie is pretty excited that school is almost done for the summer.  He keeps asking how many school days left - and i'm pretty certain that the thinks that this means he gets to play nothing but Nintendo all summer long... he's in for a surprise. lol.  I'm excited for school to be done too.  My mom is a teacher so she has the summer off as well - and we like to go to the beach and to the parks and swimming and fun activities.  Can't wait.

Artoo is the most beeee-yoooo-teeful Butterfly!!
 Artoo is just adorable - but he's been having some nuclear melt downs lately - i'm chalking this up to his being three.  Still, who could stay mad at that face?? no one.

Chewie caught all the Pokemon!
One of Chewie's summer time chores is to pick up all the pine cones from the front yard... he gets $0.01 for each pine cone he collects - this haul was 255!  he's up to $6.35 from pine cones alone!

B-rad is a great model. 
 This week was Chewie's Kindergarten Play - The Kingdom of Kindness - and we were to dress them up as some kind of medieval character.  SO i made this pretty rad breast plate out of cardboard, aluminum tape and duct tape.  Nerds out there will recognize the hyrulian design, and the triforce. :)
B-rad, Artoo and I outside Chewie's school for the play
 B-rad took this quick selfie as we waited for Chewie's play to begin.
Chewie's Kindergarten class year end play: "Kingdom of Kindness"
he's in the back row on the left.  I could have died from the cute.
B-rad had his annual boys only family fishing trip this weekend, so i had the kids to myself for the past 4 days.  We mostly had a good time, lol - we went to see the Lego Movie together and we had picnics in the family room and we played on the deck.  Then on Saturday the boys went to Grandma's for a sleepover, and i went STAG to a friend's wedding.

STAG!!
Weddings alone are not much fun, luckily i have pretty great friends!

we were the cutest couple there
Father's day was pretty low-key, we played Mario Kart together and then put the boys to bed and watched Game of Thrones!!  B-rad is a pretty awesome dad, and i'm so lucky to have him.

i love my boys
Weekly Challenge #172: Duotangle - Auraknot vs Mooka
It's been a while since our last duotangle challenge, so this week we are going to create a tile using ONLY the two tangles Auraknot and Mooka.

For those of you who are regulars here, you may know my love/hate affair with Mooka.  I just love the look of it, yet i still don't feel that i've mastered it.  For that reason, i try to throw it into tiles once in a while so that i can some day master it... Keeping in mind that i have a Maria Thomas original mooka tattooed on my left wrist, i want to get to that level of mastering.  ;)

You can see the steps for these tangles in these youtube videos







Here's my contribution, using Marie Browning's colour embossing technique.... (another thing i'm attempting to master)


Have a great week!!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com[not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________ 
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
 I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

22 comments:

  1. I'm ACTUALLY FIRST?!?!?! Guess there is something to be said for being up early!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry guys....my computer and my mind are acting crazy today! Thanks Laura for a lovely challenge and your you fun tile! I am so happy you are having a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same about Mooka! I love how it looks, but I'm never happy when I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mooka is my favourite tangle, Auraknot on the other hand is one I've never got to grips with. Loved dusting off my pens and having a go, it has been a while since I joined in with the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think putting butterfly wings on a child who is getting under your skin is brilliant. How can you stay angry? I love the pictures and stories that you share. I was also very happy you shared the auraknot video. I had never used this tangle and that video was gave me a jumpstart. The execution of the tangle with crayons did not work out super well. I do like the mooka with crayons, though. I may post a better, more traditional response to the challenge if I can later in the week. But thanks again for a fresh, new challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer and kids just go together to equal fun. I hope you have a splendid time. I like your duotangle. Thanks for always coming up with such fun things for us to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to join in on your challenge Laura! I hope to participate in more this summer as time allows! Always nice to see a fellow Canadian blogging too!
    Thanks for keeping us inspired,
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a good challenge. I love how these tangles are perfectly matched -- lots of could-be evenly spaced lines and ambiguity about where a line begins and ends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for yet another fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am blown away by all these amazing tangles. The level of complexity is staggering and I wonder, what do you visualise when you start? Or do you just start and see where it goes?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really enjoyed this week's challenge! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there, Laura .... your family is looking great in all the pics you put up, glad to see everybody well. Just letting you know that I got myself into the Linky Machine ok at number 61; ready for your inspection. See you next week. Duane.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the first weekly challenge I've tried, it was really fun, but I had to keep the thing color-coded to make sense of it. I will try a grayscale one later in the week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great combination of tangles. Looking forward to seeing all the other submissions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have missed doing the Diva Challenges so much - I'm trying to get it back in my routine. Thanks, Laura! BTW - your boys are getting sooooo big! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Laura, for proposing this fun exploration that erased my Auraknot aversion and started me on an exciting new combo series.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Laura, have a great time in Providence! And thanks for a challenging challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved the challenge and seeing all your pictures, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've missed a few challenges and I'm glad to be back again. I love Auraknot, and I like Mooka; although I've never been able to get it to look the way I envision it. I almost got it there this time. Thanks again for all the great challenges,

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love both tangles and the challenge. My entry is at "Day 19" of the post I linked :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was a really fun challenge. I had never tried Auraknot before and was so glad I did! I filled many pages of my sketch book with these two tangles and loved nesting the Mookas inside and around the knots.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!