Monday, July 14, 2014

Weekly Challenge #176

Hey all!!

hope you had a great week!

my family and i are flying away to Washington, DC tomorrow morning for the Moebius Syndrome Conference, so i have some guest posts lined up for you while we are away!

Oh, and Day 2 write up will be coming out this week.... stay tuned!! Oh, and When i was in Providence i didn't get a chance to do a Q&A session, so if you have any Qs send them to me and i'll try to give them As. please send your questions to: lauraharmz (at) gmail (dot) com with subject: Q&A i'll be answering questions in August, hopefully!

This week's challenge looks so fun, can't wait to see what you all come up with! Thank you Amy!


Weekly Challenge #176: "B.Y.O.B"
(Hello, tanglers! I’m CZT Amy, thrilled to be “guest-posting” from Tennessee this week, so Laura can focus on her family and their busy summer schedule.)

We all know that it’s important to stay hydrated, and beverages are definitely a matter of personal preference. What we drink can refresh, soothe, invigorate, or help us relax. Sometimes we crave a certain drink as part of our routine(morning coffee, anyone?); sometimes it helps to mark a special occasion; sometimes we want to sip on something new and interesting.

This week’s challenge to you is to B.Y.O.B.—Bring Your Own Beverage—to your tangling session and utilize it in your art. From coffee to Kool Aid, cola to cabernet, the choice is yours! Cocoa, tea, Gatorade, chocolate shake, kale smoothie, cranberry juice—surely something will quench your creativity! You can dip, drip, drizzle, drop, dab, sponge, spray, splatter, splash, spill, stamp, stain, pour, wipe, blot, brush, blow, and more.

You might choose to tangle at a pleasant beverage-centered business, be that a coffee house, tearoom, poolside tiki bar, or lemonade stand. Or you could choose the kitchen counter, the dining room table, an art studio—wherever suits your fancy. You might prepare a tile or ATC and tangle it after it dries, or tangle WITH the beverage, or add it as a finishing touch. Whatever you do, I’m sure that others would appreciate some of the details of your experience and technique.

I can’t wait to see what you create!

My example for this challenge was begun at Foster’s Market (http://www.fostersmarket.com) in Chapel Hill North Carolina. (Because I am hoping to foster your creativity—get it?!) My daughter Caroline and I enjoyed a delicious brunch there, complete with a latte and a coffee. We chose to utilize the black coffee to prep some tiles and ATCs, so we wouldn’t have any milk from the latte turning sour when we left our tiles & ATCs in our hot car that day.


Coffee Stained Tile, pre-tangling

The actual tangling of this tile was started over a week later, back in Knoxville. I settled in with my tile and sepia Microns at our local Panera,where I enjoyed a large cuppa half-hazelnut/half light roast. I thought long and hard about which tangles to use and settled on

·      c-scape (as in “coffee-scape”) by Sue Olsen, CZT;
·      steem  and ripple by Sandy Steen Bartholomew, CZT;
·      tipple and nipa, by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas

C-scape, steem, ripple, tipple, and nipa.
Sepia and brown microns; various colored pencils
and watercolor pencils.

My tile ended up with a lot going on—almost like I was over-caffeinated when I tangled it, don’t you think?

I plan on continuing my experiments, and bringing a few more beverages to this party; I’ll be posting links as “Amy in TN” in the Mr. Linky machine below.

Cheers!

Art educator Amy Broady has been a CZT since October 2010. 

Her daughter Caroline, a high school student, became a CZT in June, 2013. 

You can read from Amy on her blog, http://tanglefish.blogspot.com; she also contributes to http://www.ztforkids.com.







Have a great day!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com[not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________ 
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
 I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

16 comments:

  1. Laura, I hope you and your family will have a good time ine Washington DC. Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best, Laura - and thanks to Amy for a great idea that was fun to do! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you are finding guest coverage for your blog when you need it. This is good for you and your family once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, this is going to be fun. I love beverages of all kinds but am obsessed with coffee. In fact, I was looking longing at my empty Starbucks cup the other day thinking it would be fun to tangle the cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I should have used Starbucks.

      Delete
  5. Well, being English, it had to be tea. TEA for the string, tea type colours and tangles beginning with T. And all tangles that I hadn't used before, so it was more of a challenge than I'd expected. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say, this was a lot of fun!! I'm brainstorming to think of what else I could use as my 'splat' string. Anyway, thanks Amy, for standing in and bringing us a challenge. Laura, I hope you learn some new and hopeful info at your conference. It's wonderful that you are so involved in the future of Moebius Syndrome. Artoo is so blessed to have such a loving and caring mama!! Have a great trip!!! (hugs) :0) Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Amy for the blotch and blob. I really enjoyed getting out of the rut and into a different groove, especially as my ne_ tombo_ irojiten pencils arrived just in time. [posting with apologies to any spelling ocd-ers, here. the double-u key isn't working, except with auto-corect sometimes]

    ReplyDelete
  8. This challenge was such fun - even though I still haven't worked out how to post my 'results' yet :(. I drink tea AND coffee, so a great opportunity to play with both. btw, did anyone else notice how gorgeous the stained parts of the paper are to tangle on - the texture(?) seemes to change somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Amy.
    Have a super trip Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the challenge, Amy! Nice to see you again! I hope you have a wonderful trip, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello All! This was my first tangle challenge - so glad I tried. Thank you Amy for posting the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even though I have to admit being a bit squeamish about putting edible substances on my artwork (ahem), this challenge definitely resulted in many beautiful pieces of artwork. Thank you for giving those of us who needed it a gentle push!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is an amazing collection of talent here, thank you for the creative push. I was quite perturbed at first with my splats and all as the paper i've been using was not up to the task; it shrunk and warped. I rewet the paper, stretched and dried it; the cabernet (I had leftover wine?! unheard of!) turned a funky brown color. I went with a totally simple interpretation after all was said and done, but will revisit the concept again. NOTE TO SELF: do not store these with other art as the organic compounds will deteriorate quickly and could invite organisms that will break down these doctored papers.
    I thank everyone involved with this project--i've looked at all the contributors--prayers and blessings to all, the Diva most of all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. After being less than pleased with my first attempt and looking at some of the other great pieces posted by others. I decided to try another one. I am more pleased with the second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things reset in the middle. Did not realize that it posted it twice. The last two,#83 & 84 connect to the same post.

      Delete

tangle me some zen, baby!!