Monday, July 21, 2014

Weekly Challenge #177

Hey Tanglers!!

My family and i are still in Washington, DC! We'll be home this week, but until then - i hope you'll enjoy this Guest post, by the youngest CZT to ever have hosted the weekly challenge! :D

When i was in Providence i didn't get a chance to do a Q&A session, so if you have any Qs send them to me and i'll try to give them As. please send your questions to: lauraharmz (at) gmail (dot) com with subject: Q&A i'll be answering questions in August, hopefully!

Weekly Challenge 177: "Truffle by Caroline Broady, CZT"

Happy July, fellow tanglers! Caroline here, from CZT 11. I am really excited for the opportunity to guest-write on the Diva’s blog. I figure this is a golden opportunity to finally publish my tangle, truffle. I actually developed this pattern at my CZT training seminar in June 2013, inspired by some wallpaper at the Hotel Providence.


My challenge to you is (quite simply) to try out truffle. There is a lot of room for tangleations, so I hope you will have fun.


I start with a sinusoidal curve in pencil as a string for a guideline, but feel free to plot points freehandedly. A straight row even would probably work.


When I use truffle, I like to leave an open space in the dots (like an “O”) and fill in every other section with another tangle. Border tangles like onomato and shattuck work well.


I used Golden High-Flow fluid Acrylics and a white uni Posca pen on watercolor paper to make this ZIA.

Happy tangling! :)





Caroline Broady is a rising junior at Webb School of Knoxville in East Tennessee. She is one of the world’s youngest Certified Zentangle Teachers and a graduate of the 11th seminar. Her blog is zenticed.blogspot.com.

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com[not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________ 
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
 I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (typo in last comment!)

    Great tangle! I also love how Caroline made the lovely acrylic paint background and then Zentangled on top with white ink. GORGEOUS. I might be trying that myself later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Caroline, truffle is elegant and graceful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful tangle, Caroline! It's so lovely and graceful. Your background for your ZIA is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the beautiful pattern, Caroline. I enjoyed drawing it even though I mucked it up! YOUR tiles are gorgeous! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos to Caroline! Thanks for sharing; I hope I did the pattern justice as I was channeling more of my edgy bad-self than the elegance and gracefulness of the original tangle that so many others were able to captivate. May we all be able to channel our younger selves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caroline, thanks of filling in for Laura!! Your tangle is fun and I can see there are a lot of options with it!! Thanks for sharing! It is so wonderful that you and your mother can share Zentangle together! I just love spending crafty and artsy time with my mom too!! It makes for Hearfelt memories!! Cherish that!! Keep on tangling!! :0) Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Laura, one last thing! Did ya' notice that you made it to 1001 followers on your blog? CONGRATULATIONS!!!
      You truly are a blogcelebrity!!! Totally Cool!! :0)

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing. This is my first challenge and I hope my interpretation is ok for Truffle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see this being a really useful pattern. Now I need to practise some more. Thank you, Laura and Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun pattern to play with... And it offers so many possibilities... Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! Caroline, your guest appearance has been really inspiring. Not only am I so excited to see such a young artist so accomplished, but I, as an "older" individual, am learning every day from people like you! Thank you for your challenge, and for prompting me to start my very own blog just so I can be part of The Diva's world and the greater Zentangle community. Success today, and I can't stop smiling. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this challenge! This is only my second attempt at tangling, and I appreciate having such a light, wispy pattern to try. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was fun! Thanks for the site Laura and thanks for the guest challenge Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Truffle was more challenging than I anticipated, I had fun working on it this week. So impressed with Caroline's work. Hope DC was a blast, one of my favorite places to visit.
    Minette
    ----
    Minette Riordan, Ph.D.
    CEO, MinetteRiordan.com

    Ready for some creative ways to relieve stress?
    Free 8-week course: Let the Crayons out of the Box!
    www.minetteriordan.com/relieve-stress

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was a great challenge, Carolyn. I love Truffles; it really has a lot of possibilities.

    Hope you and the family had (or are still having) a great time in Washington, Laura. We're all looking forward to your return.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gee! I got to play like a kid. Thank you for the fun tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Decision to computer enhance or not? This is an interesting question. After I do a zentangle or ZIA on paper, I am usually curious about how can it be changed by digital media. There were a few interesting surprises with this challenge. I address this question with the post at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/27504630@N07/14750222991/

    Thank you Caroline for the truffle tangle and everyone's interesting individual interpretations. I learned a bunch this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My first ever entry into the contest! I've been tangling about a month and I'm completely hooked.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!