Monday, August 4, 2014

Weekly Challenge #179

Welcome to August!  i know, how is it already August??

The first weekend in August is always a long weekend here in The Skatch... B-rad, the boys, and i are spending the day at a lake a few hours away from Saskatoon with some family!

Typically speaking, the First Monday of every month is a Use My Tangle challenge, and also Typically speaking, on a long weekend i usually post the challenge on a Tuesday - but this is not a typical Monday!

If you receive the Zentangle newsletter, you may have received the latest one with an exciting announcement! (if you don't receive the newsletter you can sign up for it here)

So, what was the exciting announcement you may ask?  Take a few moments and watch this little clip:



Welcome to the Zentangle family, Bijou!!

I first met Bijou in Providence in June, and i was so excited!  As the story goes in 2006 Rick and Maria were visiting Paris just as Zentangle was in it's beginning stages. After wandering Paris, they returned to their hotel where Maria noticed a small snail climbing her suitcase.  Little did they know that that little snail had a thirst for adventure - and he/she stowed away in that suitcase and crossed the globe when they returned home! (Bijou has told us that he/she is of both sexes, but prefers the pronoun 'he')

That little snail was Bijou! And he was so entranced by this new art form of Zentangle, he had to try it out for himself.... however, for a small snail - a 3.5"x3.5" tile is somewhat large...

He talked to Rick and Maria about this, and they hooked him up with his own tiles!  it's not WHAT you know, but who! :)



Bijou's new tiles are 2"x2" and are just ADORABLE.  The smaller size are perfect for monotangles, tangle-studies, or for when you only have a few minutes.

He also has his own website where you can learn more about him... but i am sooooooo excited to share with you an EXCLUSIVE interview with Bijou himself!

aren't we adorable? Mais, oui! Bien sûr!

I first met Bijou in person just shortly after my speech at CZT15.  Bijou graciously agreed to find a little time the next evening after the seminar had ended to sit down with me and answer a few questions.  We shared a cheese plate and wine (the waiter was very lovely and brought Bijou's wine in a thimble).


   
      BIJOU:  Bonjour  Laura,  comment ça va?  i am very happy to answer your questions this fine day.

LAURA: It’s not secret that snails move slowly, and can manage to move great distances.  You are inspirational in your determination and perseverance.

       BIJOU:   Merci, oui,  i  am slow compared to you,  but in my world i am so fast that my cousins think i am "supersnail"  and should wear a cape with a big S on it

LAURA:  Bijou, tell me, what was it about Rick and Maria that inspired you to leave your homeland of Paris and become a world traveller?

       BIJOU:   Rick and Maria were always so happy,  and it seemed i might fit in with their "family".  i love my home in Paris,  but i felt that it was fate that i should meet them and join in the excitement they spoke of. . .  this thing they called  Zentangle .  So perhaps someday i return to Paris,  but for now,  i am in the big city of Whitinsville, Massachusetts.

LAURA:  Have you always had the travelling bug?  As a tiny French Snail, did you dream of seeing the world? or did you simply see an opportunity and seize it?

      BIJOU:   i have always wanted to travel, and happened to be in Rick and Maria's room when i noticed their drawings and fell in love,  once again - i have fallen in love many times, mostly with other snails,  but this time was different. . . .i felt . . . fantastique!  so i found my way into their valise and the rest is zee history.
      
LAURA:  Do you own a tiny Snail Beret? and do you play a tiny Snail Accordion?

     BIJOU:   Mon chapeau. . .  continues to slide off and get in my way in my travels. . . an unfortunate thing, this is.
    Ah,  the accordion,  sadly,  i do not play this marvelous instrument,  but love to dance to the melodies and it often brings a tear and then i miss my family in Paris.

 LAURA:  Were you a member of Paris’ underground art scene before you went abroad?  Were you always an artist?

      BIJOU:  i was artiste for much time (of course my work was more, how you say it? " impressionistique"),  but Zentangle is new and very exciting for me.  

 LAURA:  When you create tangles, you must be literally moved! What artist are you most moved by?

      BIJOU:  J'adore "Monsieur Pierre leMollusk",  who does fabulous "spiralisms" in colors i can only dream about.  Of course,  he is my cousin, and perhaps you have not heard of him but he is very "en vogue" in the circles i move in.

LAURA:  Have you adjusted to life in America? Do you miss your family? Are you ever homesick?

      BIJOU:  Ah,  mais oui!  J'adore my home here.  It is magnifique, in a non-Paris way.  But someday, I will return to ma famille, and dance with the ones i love

LAURA:  Your Bijouisms are inspired.  Did you know that when i spoke at the most recent CZT seminar (15) there was a Bijouism card in my line of sight, under the podium?  It said “Slow Down”.  I come from a very long line of fast talkers, and talking too fast was something that was on my mind.  I saw your card and it really helped me to feel calm and to go slowly.  Thank you for that wisdom.  What are some of your favourite ways in which to slow down?

      BIJOU:  Well,  i no longer wear my watch.  This helps me not worry so much of the time  (and it was a bit heavy. . .)  and i try to take the time to appreciate all things: each breath of fresh air.  each sip of clean water. each blue sky and rainy day. . .  and the rainbows. . . .the rainbows are heaven on earth.  the smell of the flowers, and the sound of quiet.  i am happy that i could help you through your speaking that night.  Your words were kind and happy.  

LAURA:  I have committed to create one Bijou tile a day for an entire year. This seems like a huge undertaking, but I love how, as a snail, you represent slow and steady growth. (I see my growth as an artist as slow and steady, and so rewarding).  Perhaps you can give me some help by suggesting your favourite tangles to draw?

       BIJOU:  Mais, oui.  J'adore drawing all the tangles. . . but "printemps" is my favorite, of course.   i get a little dizzy,  but that only adds to the fun!  But you may like "Monsieur Rick's paradox",  it makes even me slow down!

LAURA: Thank you so much for spending your time with me.  I do hope you'll consider stopping by my blog again, Bijou!

      BIJOU: Au revoir,  Laura.  A bientôt!



Isn't Bijou just the MOST DARLING!?

Weekly Challenge #179: "Be like Bijou"
You can get Bijou tiles from the Zentangle website or maybe from a local CZT but you don't need to have Bijou's tiles to take part this week.

This week's challenge is to Be like Bijou and to try your hand at something a little small.  Bijou tiles are 2"x2" so try to limit your tile to that size!  This size is also sometimes referred to as Twinchies on the interwebs.

so many adorable bijoux (the plural of bijou is bijoux)
Some things to remember as you try your smaller tile: Breathe! Admire! Slow down.  Relax and Savour, and Don't forget to come out of your shell.

i bet you won't be able to stop at just one. :)


Here's regular 3.5"x3.5" z e n t a n g l e tile vs the BIJOU tile

Have a GREAT week!

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com[not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________ 
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
 I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

29 comments:

  1. I love the whole Bijou interview and this challenge. Thanks for another fab way to make us think out of the box Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the interview and the new look of your website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Bijou! It was so fun to be introduced to him at CZT 14 and I love the new tiles. Going to be a fun week to play!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your tiles, Laura! The interview with Bijou was really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, I love, love, love, your tiles! Fun interview and great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As my friend Aldo would say, "FANTASTIQUE!" Couldn't say it better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet and just great fun. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just did my very first challenge. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bijou is just too cute! The video and your interview were awesome. Looking forward to more Bijouisms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been very busy with the Bijou tiles. Fun interview.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have done such a great job here.I am so new to blogging. Only one month in. I still have no idea how to even change my background, so the work you have done here blows my mind. I know the ideas will come, but just wanted to stop in and say... unlimited web hosting

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, Laura, I've had to admit defeat. I tried, really I did, but these tiny tiles are not for me. I've looked at some of the other work and it's beautiful and I'd love to be able to achieve something half as good. Never mind, can't wait for the next Challenge. Thanks, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're right, I couldn't stop at just one. :) This is a delightful new addition to the Zentangle family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Many, many thanks for setting this one up, Laura. Without it, I'd never have tried 'tiny". To my huge surprise, I totally loved doing one... two... three... 10 so far, and definitely not counting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My 2nd entry above doesn't belong there, but I don't know how to delete it. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved your interview with Bijou. I am enjoying the Bijou tiles. Great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to get the Bijou tiles I just ordered. This is right up my alley - Bijou is so cute, and your interview with him was Pulitzer caliber!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What fun, Laura. Bijou tiles are like Potato Chips; can't stop at one. And your interview with Bijou was top-notch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The interview was a great idea! Photo was neat too. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm liking 'Bijou'!! Then again, I like small and itsy bitsy, anyway! These are great for all of those little bits of time that I have in between picking up kids, doing laundry, making dinner, well,........ you understand, being a mom, All you get is little bits of time here and there. Perfect for me!! :0) Have an awesome weekend! :0)Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
  21. OOPs! Bijou slipped sorry--- accidental double posting #87

    ReplyDelete
  22. Bijou got hungry.......good fun doing a little tile and I nearly ran out of time this week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My first challenge and with Bijou no less...very exciting! Love the interview and great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  24. J'adore Bijou ! LOved your interview with him and I look forward to working on his teeny weeny tiles when they arrive from Rick and Maria. In the meantime I have cut some paper the same size and have been having teeny weeny bursts of fun with them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry if this is a repeat comment, but for some reason it showed up and then it didn't.. Maybe I hit preview instead of post. Oops!!! Well, here's my first Bijou tile and my first posted Diva Challenge.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooo la la, I love your interview with Bijou! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you Laura for your half assed Tutorial on using a site specific URL for our challenge tiles. I always wondered how other people did it. I love your challenges & try to complete them each week. I don't always have the time to add them to my blog & then use the linkey machine. I also love to see all the different ways people complete he challenge. Keep up the good work. I really appreciate all your time involved in this even though you have such a busy and fulfilling life. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!