Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Weekly Challenge #180

Hi everyone!  Thank you for the day's rest, i needed it! 

I drove out to Big River, Saskatchewan about 3 hours from Saskatoon to Ski Timber Ridge where the retreat was being held.  The location was beautiful on the edge of Saskatchewan's boreal forest.  

such a lovely place
To be honest, i didn't know this little ski hill existed.  Turns out it's a community co-op run Ski Lodge. The money raised at this retreat went towards the upkeep of the ski hill, and that's pretty rad.  :D

AHHHH!!!! HOLD ME!
 While i was there i got a chance to get up close and personal with the local wild life (see above) this little guy was terrifying.  he was about 1.5-2" long, not counting the freakishly long antennae.

One of the perks of being a presenter at the retreat was being able to attend the classes and workshops that i wasn't teaching.  on the first night i attended a yoga class called "Shake your Bodhi" which was HANDS DOWN the most fun i've ever had in a yoga class...in my life.

feelin' pretty bad ass after the Bodhi shakin'.
It was like a yoga dance party.  one minute we were all clubbing, the next, we were all doing downward facing dog.  The instructor, Colin, was hilarious and made us all feel like twerking while doing yoga was the most natural thing in the world.

 Friday night brought on super intense rain and thunder/lightning storms.  The thunder was so loud, it was crazy intense.  A lot of the campers did not get a good night's rest - but we were all up and eager to get going at 6am to get our Yoga on.


In the morning we shared meals and did 108 Oms together which i'd never done before.  it was interesting to hear the voices of almost 80 yogis coming together in oms.

Saturday had some inclement weather leftover from the night's storms, a lot of the classes were scheduled to be outdoors and so some of the classes got moved around.  mine as well.

Storm a-comin'
 But we made it work, and Saturday's workshop was held in the basement instead of the balcony.

Yogis creating Zentangle!
 My first class was really fun, and there was a lot of laughter.  Those are the best kinds of classes.

Tile number 1
 I only had an hour to teach so things were a little more rushed than i would usually do.

Tile number 2, guided spoken tile
the evening's weather was much nicer.


one of the instructors brought these smudge medicines back from Nepal with her
 Of course, the food they fed us was always amazing.

Moroccan Lentil Stew and Quinoa Salad. yum.
 By evening, the sky was clear, and i got to take part in a sing along by the fire in the light of the full Super Moon. A few of us stayed out singing and reading Poetry by Hafiz into the night...

So fun. 
Up again at 6 am for breakfast and 108 Om meditation.  Yawnnnnn.

Where my class was held... just gorgeous!

Sunday morning's weather was lovely and my second class, with 17 participants was held on the lodge balcony.  Seriously, the classes were so great.

Tile number 1
 I had the pleasure of teaching an adorable little 4 year old in this class as well.
Group shot of the group watching a group shot of the tiles being taken. ;)

Tile 2, guided spoken tile
It was a wonderful weekend.  My body was exhausted in a great way from all the yoga practice through out the weekend.  The highlights for me were the Shake your Bodhi class, a handstand workshop (where i ACTUALLY got into a handstand, spotted of course) and a storytelling workshop - which was great and hilarious.

Giving thanks at the retreat's end. 
I was so lucky to be asked to teach here.  A beautiful setting, with beautiful people, doing beautiful yoga.   I hope they ask me to come back next year, because i'd be there in a flash.  :)

Yoga at the Ridge Retreat

Weekly Challenge #180: "UMT - MacDee by Anneke Van Dam"
Last week's Bijou challenge was so much fun!  i'm so glad you all enjoyed it.  This week is the Use My Tangle challenge, and this week's tangle to try out is called "MacDee" you can see the step-outs here


Have a go at this great grid based pattern!

For those of you who don't know, the first Monday of the month, is a UMT Challenge (Use My Tangle), where the challenge is to learn and use a tangle created by one of you! It's awesome for me, because i don't have time to try all the new tangles i see on the web on a regular basis. This challenge makes sure i'm at least learning ONE new tangle a month... 
if you have a tangle you'd like to submit, please follow this link for the guidelines for submissions. Each month's tangle is chosen at random bywww.random.org 

Have a great week!!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com[not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________ 
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
 I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

19 comments:

  1. Love the tangle this week. Your retreat looks like it was a blast too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great retreat. Lovely surroundings although I think the thunder storm would have terrified me. Did your power go out?

    Your tangle is just lovely. It's a greet choice and I'm going to have fun playing with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh-oh! my first post was my blog preview site, so I reposted the correct link. Sorry for the double post.

    The retreat looks amazing - what a wonderful opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your efforts with all of us and weaving some zen into the fabric of all our lives. Plaid seems to factor prominantly in a lot of lives and can be so colorful. Cheers! Have a brilliant day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous tile, and such a beautiful place! I'm glad you had some time to enjoy and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curious about the "guided spoken tile" . . . how are you doing that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've put a shortened URL to my blog post, I hope it is alright :) This is my first attempt at your challenge in 'real time' ^^ I've completed some of your others, but I chose to begin again from Week 1 so I have a loooong way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really, really enjoyed this one. Your tile gave me the idea of using MacDee as the background and then I decided on monotangle and used it for everything. Thanks to both Laura and Anneke.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely surprise to discover that MacDee is the subject of the UMT Challenge!! I'll try to visit all the entries. Thank you for this opportunity, Laura, and I love your tile! {} Anneke

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just want you to know that I love your blog! Thanks for always being there for us! Your tile is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your retreat looks like it was lovely! I'm a little jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great new tangle for me. Thanks for calling attention to it with this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That retreat sounds FANTASTIC!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like the retreat was fun. I have posted my entry for this week, it is in amongst several other photos hope that is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, feeling a little envious that you got to have such a wonderful getaway!! Ok, I know you deserve it, but still,............(way-wah, way, my own pity party) Anyway, glad you had a great time. Looks like it was beautiful! And I just love your Macdee tile. Beautiful!!! Have a great weekend! :0) Share humanity

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laura, Looks like you had a fabulous time at the retreat. How wonderful to feed your creativity and strengthen your mind and body. Thanks for sharing and of course being our Diva!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you had such a great time at the retreat. And I love your tile. At first I wasn't sure about MacDee; thought it wasn't my type. But after using it in this tile, I can see that it makes a great background or fill. I'm pretty sure I'll be using it again.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!