Thursday, September 4, 2014

10 Amazing Years

the challenge is here (CLICK)

Today B-rad and I are celebrating our 10 Year Anniversary!  I have been so very lucky to have spent the last sixteen years with this man, and 10 years of those as his wife.  He's a pretty awesome dude, i have to say.


B-rad and I met in the 9th grade.  I had just moved to the province of Saskatchewan from the province of British Columbia because when i was 14 my dad decided to go back to University and moved us to the middle of the country.  The first time i laid eyes on B-rad was in Mrs. Beck's English class, when she was introducing me as the New Girl.  He was sitting in one of the front desks, chatting with a girl named Stacy (who later became my best friend).  It was 1994 (OMG, 20 years ago?!?) and he had long wavy hair and was trying to dress like a skater. (I shouldn't comment on his clothes, though, as he likes to remind me that i was wearing very high waisted jeans and a vest)  But he had the bluest eyes i've ever seen.  I'm pretty sure it was love at first sight, as much as it can be when you're 14. 






I crushed on B-rad for most of the 9th grade, and near the end of the school year i devised a master plan to get him to notice me and maybe ask me out: i said "Hi Brad" every single time i saw him in the halls.  every time. LOL looking back at it now, i thought i was so clever but i was just being painfully PAINFULLY obvious.


My plan worked and shortly after my 15th birthday i became his girlfriend.  :)  For a few months anyway, then summer happened and we broke up. 

i dated other guys in high school but always had a soft spot for B-rad.  I was single for the majority of the 12th grade and we hung a lot because we had mutual friends (Stacy and Rae), and because we are both musicians.  We started dating again right after graduation. 


We dated on and off for several years  - but when even we were "off" we could never really stay apart from each other EVEN after he moved away to Calgary.  We talked on the phone regularly and wrote snail mail and emails to each other until eventually we'd be back together. My life revolved around 11pm when he would call me.   Long distance is really hard, so eventually i moved to Calgary to be with him. 

In Calgary we formed a prog rock band and played a few gigs - those were crazy fun times.  My brother, Patrick, was living with us, and we had so much fun in those years there.



On the day he proposed he took me to a play and then out for dinner, and then we drove to the top of a beautiful hill where he asked me to marry him. (after asking me if i wanted to make out, he's funny)


B-rad and i have almost developed a secret language that we speak to each other that consists almost entirely of movie quotes and inside jokes.  We think we're pretty hilarious.


We have the same sense of humour and have the same tastes (more or less) in music.  He is the best person in my life, and i'm so lucky to have him as my best friend, my partner, and my husband!

Happy Anniversary B-rad!!

19 comments:

  1. Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! Thanks for the back story. I am always curious how people end up together. Here's to another 50 years (at least) together. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Laura (and Brad)! That's awesome! It was so fun to read about your story... Very special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and best wishes to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to both of you!!! BRad must be very happy with the post and the love that it shows.
    Great to know that you are so happy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary Laura! I can tell you 2 are really fond about each other! So the story and the pictures tell us? Hope you will be happy for many many years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary Laura and Brad! Sounds like you know how to take care of each other. I was lucky enough to just celebrate my 32nd Anniversary a few days ago, so hang in there and you'll make it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. May you be happy together forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary! You both look very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Laura! A wonderful milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to you both and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary to you both! How wonderful to find your "soul mate" so young! (You get lots of playtime together!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many congratulations to you both.. sounds like you were always destined to be together. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to you both! I love how back in the day he had more hair than you, Laura... Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations and best wishes to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cool, thank you Laura for sharing your 'love at 1st sight' history!! Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the story and the pictures. Congratulations to the both of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy anniversary and thank you for sharing your beautiful story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LAURA, A HAPPY 10TH ANNIVERSARY TO YOU AND B-RAD!!I l love all your pics, especially the one where it looks like you're trying to take a big healthy bite out of his head! (I'd like to know what prompted that!) You two are definitely meant for each other! Total Awesomeness!! I hope you enjoy many many more years with each other!! Many blessings! xo Annette

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!