Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Weekly Challenge #183

Happy September!

Yup. September time is here.  I switched over my wall calendar and everything.

Sorry to everyone who came by yesterday, apparently my "HAPPY LABOUR DAY, SEE YOU TUESDAY" post did not publish, but hopefully y'all figured it out.

This last week B-rad put the final finishing touches on the bed he designed and built.
finished, kind of
It just needs to be stained now.  So imagine that ^^ a dark brown.  That B-rad, he's a pretty Rad guy.

Speaking of being rad.... here's B-rad and I on the roof!

CHEESE
You may not know this about me, but i am SUPER afraid of heights.  Sometimes even watching movies or seeing pictures of heights will make my palms sweat.  But this weekend B-rad was up on the roof fixing a piece of Fascia that blew off, and i saw the ladder there and i had an unexplicable moment of stupidity bravery and decided to climb up there too.  And i did not too bad - except for the part where i had to climb back DOWN the ladder.... what was i thinking?

This morning marked Chewie's first day of the First Grade!  every milestone these boys go through makes it harder to believe that they were every so small.

i forgot to post his kindergarten graduation photo in June, he's so cute!
I am pretty excited that he's in school full time, i have to say.  He seems to be too.


Artoo is pretty sad that his brother will be gone all day, but he has a pretty full schedule of therapies coming up, so that will be nice to have one less kid to cart around.

cutie patootie
Oh, and a few of you have asked me how my Bijou a Day project is coming along, the answer? Not too bad.  I'm a little behind but i'm catching up.   here's a couple of them:



If you are on Instagram you can follow me at @iamthediva and look for the hashtag #bijouadayproject to see more of them.

Weekly Challenge #183: "UMT - X-Did" by Annette Carlo

If you are a regular here, you'll know that (generally speaking) the first Monday of every month is a Use My Tangle challenge where the challenge is to use a tangle created by one of you!  (If you have a tangle you'd like to submit you can see the submission guidelines here)

This week's tangle is called "X-did" by Annette Carlo, and you can find the step outs HERE

I like the look of this tangle, and i think there's a real potential for some sweet tangleations.  I love a geometric pattern.

my first go was on a bijou tile:

and then i tried again on a Renaissance tile.  I bought a few packs of Renaissance tiles while i was at the CZT15 seminar this spring, because they always looks so amazing... but i still struggle with them.

"X-did" is in the left and right of the frame, it took on a whole different look when i tangled in the negative spaces around the x shapes.

I made a HUGE error on the top and bottom of the frame, hence them being filled in with black.  i really and truly wanted to pitch this one and start over again - BUT I CAN'T!!  My on-going challenge to myself to ALWAYS post my submissions would not allow me to.  SO, i kept going, and thought: "maybe i can save this, maybe not"

Well, it didn't turn out as horrible as i thought it would.  I'm glad i didn't throw it out, but - let's be honest - this one won't be framed any time soon. LOL

so this week - try out "X-did" and see how you do!
Have a great week!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com[not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________ 
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
 I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

22 comments:

  1. Love the bed. Can he build me one? :) The Bijou tiles are wonderful and X-did is an Xcellent choice for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do I find X-did so I can try to take the challenge, confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scroll up. There's a link above the first tile. :)

      Delete
    2. thanks Loren, i was having trouble replying from my phone.

      Jenjen, if you look there is a link to the stepouts:
      (This week's tangle is called "X-did" by Annette Carlo, and you can find the step outs HERE)

      Delete
    3. Found it THANK YOU!!!! :) Happy Zenning

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, my first comment got frozen or something, I was having problems!!!

      Oh my gosh, oh my gosh!! Too funny Laura!! I woke up this morning and before do all the stuff I have to in my day, I checked my blog and it showed I had like 60 something page views already. So I figured there must be a mistake and I was clicking on the wrong thingy. But then it hit me, Oh my gosh , Oh my gosh!!!!! Maybe one of my tangles got chosen for UMT. You can't believe how excited I was!! THANK YOU SO MUCH, LAURA!!! I hope I don't let Zentangle down and people enjoy it! You know this month is my anniversary with you!! So that makes for a double celebration!! Woot Woot!! Last Sept is when I did my first challenge on your site and really found out about what Zentangle really is. Thanks to you and Linda Farmer, I learned more and then found out about the creators Maria Thomas and Rick Roberts. I don't know what I would do without Zentangle in my life now. My kids and my people around me probably get tired of hearing me talk about Zentangle, but actually I think they find it very amazing! They can't believe some of the things that I'm able to draw now! You made me day today, or should I say week! I can't wait to see what all the wonderful Tanglers out there are going to do with it!! Your two tiles are beautiful!! And I love your Daily Bijou!! Have a fabulous day! You are awesome!!! (big smiles) Annette :0) Share Humanity

      Delete
    2. Annette, I really like x-did. It has lot of creative "play" about it. Congrats on getting picked for UMT.

      Delete
    3. Annette! your comment just made MY day!! :D

      Delete
  4. This is a strangely adaptable pattern. I thought it would have to be perfect to look good but it works well when a bit higgledy piggledy too. (Most things i do are a bit higgledy piggledy, I'm afraid.) So I enjoyed this one quite a lot. Thanks to both Laura and Annette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this week's challenge - I'd never have tried out such a fun tangle without it! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your X-DID pieces. Mine is bit more humble. I need to play with the other variations of it. Now that I know how it is created, I can see it more clearly in your lovely work.

    Thanks for the challenge. (This is two weeks in a row that I've participated - Whoo hoo! Loving it!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really love following your blog - thank you for extending my skills

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found the Challenge a bit more challenging than usual this week - but sitting with the tangle for a bit, I've now drawn something I'm happy with. Thanks as always for the fun and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a great challenge! Took me way out of my comfort zone. But it was fun AND extremely challenging this week. Thank you once again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous pics of the boys - good luck for the coming school year. Great bed! Brown will be lovely.
    X-DID was a great tangle - probably wouldn't have given it a go - looked too complex - but thanks to your challenge found I loved it. Which is one of the great bonuses of a challenge :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved seeing the boys :). Great tiles; love the bijous :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That B-Rad is pretty talented! So nicely built! (The bed... get your mind out of the gutter, Laura!) Thanks for this challenge... It definitely took me out of my comfort zone and yet... I got to drawing and realized I WAS in my comfort zone. Thank you, Laura! (Wonderful pattern Annette!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing all the happiness. Until the wee hours of the overnight this challenge was, well, quite the challenge. And so was trying to leave notes for Annette. THANKS for all you do and for all the creativity. It was quite a workout this week! Have a brilliant day! cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had trouble trying to leave a comment for Annette.

      Delete
    2. Hi there Ladies!! I'm so sorry about my blog and the comment section. I have know idea why that happens. I left Google a message to figure out if there is something that I can do to fix that. (When it comes to technology I'm always challenged!!! Yeeeks!) Thanks for saying something about it though, because otherwise I wouldn't know! Thank you for giving this weeks challenge a go!!! Have great day! :0) Annette Share Humanity

      Delete
  14. Thanks for the challenge, Laura. As usual it got me to stretch my abilities once more.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!