Monday, September 22, 2014

Weekly Challenge #186

Happy Monday everyone!

in case you missed it, over the weekend i answered some of your questions in a post i called Ask The Diva Episode 1.  you can see it here.  If you have something you'd like to ask me, just pop me an email lauraharmz at gmail dot com with ASK THE DIVA in the subject heading.

So! How was everyone's week?

Little Chewie was sick.  He had a fever and was sick to his stomach last Sunday night.  It was persistent, and his tonsils were very swollen - so i took him to the doctor and got some medicine on Monday afternoon.  Even with the meds, his fever stuck around until Wednesday.  He ended up being off of school all week - and catching up on a lot of Pokemon.


After a few days, he was less feverish but was still struggling with his swollen tonsils, so we made a totally unnecessary  another trip to the doctor, to see what was up - only to be told to let the antibiotics have a few more days.  

Both my boys were extremely well behaved in the long 1.5 hour wait for the second time that week, so i rewarded them both with giant smiley faced cookies. 


With Chewie at home all week, and monopolizing the TV, Artoo and i made some art.  Artoo asks me every day: "Mom, can i make a zentangles?" and insists on using the "little papers" so we created some bijou tiles together.  Here's one of his creations.

pretty talented, huh?
 Friday night i was able to get out of the house and visit with some friends - ladies night! WOO!  But i couldn't get too crazy because Saturday morning i ran my second ever 10K!

My mama-friend Tara completed her First ever 10K too! so proud of her.
HECK YES!!
My very good friend Deron drove up from Regina (Saskatchewan's provincial capital about 2.5 hours South of Saskatoon) to run with me.  Pretty awesome, as the weekend before he completed a half marathon.  He was very encouraging and kept me going when i wanted to die, or puke, or both.

Mogathon 10K Selfie!! (Photo by Deron)
My time was 1:13:41 - about five minutes slower than the 10K i did in the spring, but i'm going to blame that on the fact that the course was, while extremely gorgeous, very hilly.  (that, and i wasn't particularly as gung ho about training.... eep!)  Still!! It was under 1:15:00 which was the slow edge of the window i gave myself, so yay me!

It was an amazing day for running, too.  A beautiful day, with blue skies, and fall leaves! Running along the lovely river.  Good times. 

Weekly Challenge #186: "String Theory - Leaves! Leaves! Leaves!"
Oh, Autumn.  You are so beautiful and yet so short.  
I love Fall, it's my favourite season.  Everything about it is lovely... it really is a shame that it is so short (at least in Saskatchewan) and that the inevitable winter comes shortly after.  :(

This photo was taken by my friend Tara - this was the finish line for the 10K!
 Saskatoon is so beautiful in the fall.

I took this yesterday (sunday) afternoon!

this one too.  So pretty. 
It's sad that in just a few days all those leaves will be off the trees.... so let's make the most of them! 

this week's challenge is to use LEAVES as your string.  

For my zendala i used a highly sophisticated technique to drawing the leaves on my tile.  

Step one: Acquire leaves from back yard
Step two: arrange leaves on zendala tile

Step three: trace around leaves with pencil

Step Four: Tangle tangle tangle!
This week use a leaf as your string!  You can draw your leaves, or use leaf inspired tangles, or you can trace your leaves like i did. 

 I used a renaissance tile because the colour of the tile screams fall to me.  Feel free to create a fall inspired tile, if you like... if you're on the other side of the globe (hello!) you may be more inspired by the new leaves budding on the trees and the brilliant greens around you!

Have a great week everyone!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
i'm currently trying to decide what to do about the challenge slideshows (read here)... if you have any ideas i would love to hear from you! 
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com[not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________ 
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
 I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

31 comments:

  1. Wow, Laura, your fall tile is gorgeous!!!!!!! Thanks for this great challenge; I'll go to my backyard later to pick some.
    About the slideshow, why not skip the ones from the past and just go on from now? I think that will make things so much easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in the Mid-Atlantic U.S. (Philadelphia), the leaves are still green and this morning was one of the first when I've needed a sweater. I love the Fall. Good idea for the challenge. I'm glad to hear Chewie is feeling better. I hope Artoo isn't next. That's how things used to roll with our 2 boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your leaves zendala is absolutely beautiful! And thank you for this lovely challenge this week!
    About the slideshows of the weekly challenges ... what do you think about the idea to change the slideshow into a gallery? (For example a "pinterest-board" with a button-link to your blog-posts). This is not so time-consuming! I have seen this way of presentation already and it´s wonderful to see a weekly gallery with all the participants´ works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved, loved, loved this one. It might be my favorite ever. :D Thank you! (My leaves are still green here, but not for much longer!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, Laura........Your tile is AMAZING !
    Thanks for this lovely challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed both your blog pieces this morning. I look to you to start my week with a challenge. I wish I had had this last week when I ended up discarding an awesome leaf from my tree. Thank goodness there are a gajillion more on there. I like the idea of a pinterest board, or possibly putting something on flickr.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This challenge is making me jealous of everyone who gets to see the fall leaves. We don't get that here in the Phoenix area so I loved seeing your beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love reading about your boys Laura - they are your priority so give yourself some slack on the slideshows. We can click on the name links to view others' work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the "floatiness" of your leaves. I'm inspired to try that kind of shadowing on my next effort. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great theme for this week. Looking forward to all the colors here in Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When people link to the BlogHer site, I don't see their responses to the challenge. Do you think they realize this?

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful tile, Laura. Mostly still green here in Southern Ontario, but beginning to turn. Great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. :) I had as much fun finding beautiful leaves as I did drawing afterwards. Have a fabulous week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh I accidently posted mine twice - please feel to delete one of them (#35 &36 are me)

      Delete
  14. I posted 4 Bijou tiles in order to submit a pile of leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this challenge - I enjoyed it tremendously :) I do love a good pile of leaves and I know I will enjoy visiting everyone else's work too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your photos of Saskatoon. They bring back some happy family memories of long ago visits. Would love to see it now as I understand it is quite a vibrant, youthful city.
    Great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great challenge, Laura - I can't help noticing how Artoo suddenly seems to be really growing up! Lovely photos. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What beautiful photos! Saskatoon looks really wonderful. I totally understand what inspired your challenge this week. And what inspiration for us too! I was happy to have tangled 2 ATCs for the ATC swap I am currently organizing. Feel free to join. Everybody is more than welcome but it would be an honor to have you join in. You are our muse after all, aren't you.

    Have a great and colourful week.
    Love from France

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmmm... having ID10T problems with the form today. ;) Apologies if you show two from me. I'm going to go pour me another cuppa coffee and see if that helps. Thanks again (and again) for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much Laura for your challenges. Your zendala was amazing and I always love to hear about your boys. Artoo's "little paper" was precious. Another budding artist in the family? Can't wait to check out everyone's leaves now. Thanks again...I think you are amazing with all that you do!
    Hugs, LezliB

    ReplyDelete
  22. Laura, your leaf tile is just beautiful!!! Looks like you really got into your Zen!! Awesome job on your 10k! And I hope Chewie is feeling better!! Bummer thing about school. Kids come home with every kind of bug that's out there!! Stay well, and enjoy whatever time you have of those beautiful leaves. (In sunny CA, we have been having 100degree weather. Just enough to fry the leaves before the winds come and knock them all down, before they can even show their colors) It really is pitiful that we skip right over fall. (Last year, we didn't even have a winter!!!) Yeeeks! Reason for our drought!! Anyway, thank you for sharing those beautiful pics, of the trees and your lil' cuties!!! :0) Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was a nice theme for a challenge and your pictures are great. i enjoy the colors of the fall. Not many have started to turn here in the Midwest. I will try to read the challenge more closely in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really loved your leaf tile! Here in Northern California we do get some fall color (mostly from non-native trees though) but nothing like what you photographed. Congrats on the 10k. I did my first 5k a couple of years ago and finishing is a real high. Thanks for the inspiration this week. I can't wait to see what everyone else did now that I've finished mine. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another great challenge, Laura. Thank you for all the time you share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thats one beautiful Zendala! Can I make some zentangles too? Must have little papers! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great Challenge! It inspired me to take a few minutes to appreciate my favorite season. I'll be continuing to do some more leaf strings. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The yellows of the fall leaves in Saskatoon are so beautiful! Artoo is your artist companion! :)

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!