Monday, October 6, 2014

Weekly Challenge #188

Happy Monday.

For those of you who don't follow me on facebook, you may not know that i have been in a lot of pain this week.  Sometime on Thursday my back began to hurt, and by the time B-rad got home from work, i was in so much pain.  I could barely move.  It hurt to sit, it hurt to stand, it hurt to lay down.  Everything hurt.  Breathing was painful.

I spent the majority of the weekend laying on my bed or the floor, and i've been taking pain meds every 4 hours on the dot to get me through the day.
I went to see my magic Chiropractor, and she hurt me - a lot.  I told her i would put up with A LOT of pain if it meant i would feel better later.  i felt pretty good for most of saturday.  I think part of my problem is that i feel pretty good - because i'm really drugged - and i think that i'm feeling better than i actually am, and then i over exert myself and hurt myself.  yay.  good times.  

As i'm typing this, my drugs have worn off and i'm about to take some more and they make me pretty drowsy so - here we go, let's get this done, shall we/

Weekly Challenge #188: National Coming Out Day 
This week (before the back pain) i was contacted by a very well spoken young man who sent me a really well written email.  

His name is Daniel, and he is 12 years old.  Hello Daniel! 

Daniel told me that October 11th is National Coming Out Day.  Daniel's friend is gay, and so he wanted me to help him support his friend and to issue a challenge with a LGBT theme. 

Daniel says:
I think it would be a good way to further inspire tanglers and raise awareness if you considered a challenge to somehow put some aspect of LGBT in a tile. Perhaps using the colors of the rainbow, or using tangles that start with L, G, B, and T, or using those letters as a string? 
Seriously!?! This kid is ready for Harvard already.  He even sent along his own tile for inspiration.  

tangles used:
Lanie, Gumleaves, Bunzo, and Tipple

Now.   I know that usually the first monday of the month is a UMT challenge, but with the timing of his request we're gonna reschedule the UMT for now.

I just have to say how impressed i am that a 12 year old boy is such a great ally to the LGBT community.  I am too.  I know that, for some, this topic is controversial and you may feel uncomfortable.  That's okay.   Please just skip this week and come back for next week's challenge if you like.  I am lucky enough to have the best, most supportive readers in the entire internet. That being said, negative comments are not appreciated and they're just not cool.  But i have a feeling this is going to be a non-issue.  you guys are great. (prove me right, Tanglers!)

Have a great week.

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
i'm currently trying to decide what to do about the challenge slideshows (read here)... if you have any ideas i would love to hear from you! 
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com[not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________ 
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
 I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

28 comments:

  1. I am impressed not only with this young man's bravery but with his tangling skills also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great challenge - and as you say, you've got to admire Daniel's style. You have my utmost sympathy and hope that back problem is soon resolved. I often put my back in the hands of a chiropractor and have absolute faith in their abilities.
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh on the back pain thing. I hope you feel better soon. Cool theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear of your back pain. This sort of pain makes you so very tired that sometimes you only want to cry. Hope your chiropractor can help you to get rid of it soon.
    A great kid, this Daniel, and a great Diva that makes a challenge of it. I love to join!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was first : Whoopee! My hat's off to you, Laura, still going through with the challenge when you are in such pain. I hope you are soon on the road to recovery. As for the challenge, we shouldn't NEED to support it, we shouldn't NEED to raise awareness and shame on humankind that we do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am happy to support this challenge and I hope the back eases up on you quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay Daniel!! Impressive tangle and wonderful insights. Love is Love! I REALLY hope you feel better soon, Laura. I understand back issues -- and they're not fun. I have a couple herniated discs and as someone in my 30s, I think - WTF!? I'm too young for this! Be gentle with yourself. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning Laura!! As I LOVE ALL PEOPLE, I will not be participating in this weeks challenges!!! Hugs to Daniel and his friend. See you next week and hope you are felling better. :0) Share Humanity, Annette

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm proud to join in here especially after France managed to make the whole world think all French people hated gays! We don't! Most of us don't but some still need to learn and grow.
    Thank you for the challenge and by the way Daniel, great idea and great tile!
    Love from France

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this inspiring guest post & challenge, Laura! I know lots of adults who could learn much from Daniel. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, kudos to Daniel and to you, too, for this awesome idea. I have family and friends who are LGBT and am so excited to see this represented on your blog. Woo hoo! Can't wait to dive in to this juicy challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great challenge! Back pain is the worst - hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic challenge!! Daniel is awesome!! Susan and I have been together 15 years and married a couple of months ago since now we can get the full benefits in the US. Wonderful and thank you!!

    I too support all people and think that it can be great to celebrate certain people or groups of people ... says nothing against the rest!!

    Laura, I am sorry about your back pain - it stinks!! I hope you can feel better very soon. Hugs ~ Diane Clancy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I tried my best I am new at this but I wanted to support the LGBT in some way :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent guest challenge. I'm happy to support such a talented young artist who demonstrates courage as well as creativity. And speaking of courage, take courage in the face of your pain Laura. I wish you healing and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great challenge! Well done Laura and Daniel... such a beautifully artistic way to show support.
    And wishing you a rainbow of healing energy for your back Laura - back pain is no fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Diva, I hope you are feeling a healing touch and getting back to normality for you and your family. I know what chronic pain is like and I wish you a healthy and brilliant day. c

    ReplyDelete
  18. Still with my granddaughters i was able to do the challenge and post it with my phone. The cut and paste on my phone still eludes me though so I would be most appreciative if you could post it to the linky machine. Www.suejacobs.blogspot.com
    If you are still in pain though, please ignore this and I'll get it done on Saturday when I get home. Thanks, Sue Jacobs

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the first challenge I have tried. You and Daniel both inspired me to try it. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for a great challenge Daniel and Laura. I hope that you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think Daniel is trying to tell you a story that's not very pretty. Try to hear it. .

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great Challenge! Both a challenging string and an important message. Kudos to you and Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My first "official" entry. I accidentally entered #177 about an hour ago, with the correct theme that week and everything, just really late :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't really been in the mood to do the challenges lately, but it was important to me to take part in this challenge, especially when non-participation might be interpreted as discomfort with or even condemnation of homosexuality. I want to stand up and be counted as a supporter. So I got down to business and submitted my entry.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Go girl. Go Daniel & friend. Blessings to all!
    And, after 30+ years of back pain (rolled a car just across from Martensville in 19something)... Pilates has been part of amazing improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This was a great venue to raise awareness. Thank you Daniel and Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sorry to post late but I really wanted to show my support and circumstances were such that I couldn't post earlier. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!