Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Weekly Challenge #189

Hey hey!

Welcome back to another weekly challenge.  This past weekend we celebrated Thanksgiving in Canada - and every year my family alternates hosting the big dinners, like Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

it just so happened that this year Thanksgiving was at our place, and for the first time EVER B-rad and i were tasked with cooking the turkey.  We have hosted in the past, but usually we made a ham.

This year, we received turkey - randomly - from some dudes in a parking lot.

that sounds, shady, i know - but i swear it was all on the up and up.

our local grocery store was giving out free turkeys with a certain amount of grocery purchase, and while B-rad was putting our bags into the car, a dude walked up to him and asked him if he wanted a turkey.  B-rad looked over and saw 3 young guys, construction worker type, who said they got the turkey for free but didn't really have anywhere to store it, or desire to cook it.

SO! thanks to those 3 random parking lot guys, we cooked up our first turkey.  I think we did a pretty good job, too!  i even made my stuffing from scratch!

This is the recipe my mom always made... it was successful and super tasty
 The boys were mostly excited that all their cousins were coming over after lunch!

SO EXCITE!
 Considering it was my first turkey ever, i think we did alright!

So tasty
 an awesome thanksgiving moment was walking into the kitchen to find this:

i laughed so hard
 B-rad was totally testing his temperature with the meat thermometer.... the verdict? Totally hot.

Another awesome moment was when the whole family arrived.  My youngest brother was in charge of pies - so he brought the pies he made (he actually made 3! Lemon, Blueberry, and Pumpkin) but he was making the meringue at my place.  None of us really knew how to do meringue, so 4 of us were on our phones reading out the instructions to 4 different recipes for 4 different types of meringue.   In the end, we just decided to wing it.   It turned out awesome.

perfectly browned peaks. 
 All in all there were seven adults, one teenager, and five children in our home.  We crammed the adults into the living room and the kids ate in the kitchen.

almost ready to eat!
 The only person missing was my brother in Victoria BC... miss you brutha!
The Diva Family
It has really been a wonderful thanksgiving weekend here.
I'm so thankful for (in no particular order):

  1. B-rad, Chewie and Artoo
  2. my extended families and friends
  3. my health
  4. even though i have back pain, i am still able to function thanks to my magic chiropractor
  5. i'm so thankful for the many people who i've met and who've touched my life in some way through Zentangle and through my blog
  6. Sakura microns
  7. fresh clean water
  8. my beautiful home: House, City, Province, Country, Planet
  9. being able to run not one, but two 10Ks this year and crossing that off my bucket list
  10. traveling to Providence, and being a rockstar for a day
  11. traveling to Washington DC for the Moebius Conference
  12. love, laughter, singing, music, yoga, running
  13. hugs and snuggles from my still-small boys

Happy Thanksgiving! 
Weekly Challenge #189: UMT "Yuma" by Tina-AKUA, CZT
I'm not going to lie, i was pretty happy to see Tina's tangle come up in the random generator this month.  I met Tina at the 15th CZT conference in Providence this year!

Me and Tina and her book of Diva Challenges!
She was so wonderful and sweet. HI TINA!

Her tangle is called YUMA and you can find the step outs on her blog HERE

My submission
I really liked this tangle, i went with a variation for my tile.  this is one of those tangles i find relaxing.

For those of you who don't know, the first Monday of the month, is a UMT Challenge (Use My Tangle), where the challenge is to learn and use a tangle created by one of you! It's awesome for me, because i don't have time to try all the new tangles i see on the web on a regular basis. This challenge makes sure i'm at least learning ONE new tangle a month... 
if you have a tangle you'd like to submit, please follow this link for the guidelines for submissions. Each month's tangle is chosen at random by www.random.org 
Have fun with this tangle!  Have a great week!

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
i'm currently trying to decide what to do about the challenge slideshows (read here)... if you have any ideas i would love to hear from you! 
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com[not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________ 
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
 I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

22 comments:

  1. Glad you had a lovely Thanksgiving weekend and thank you kindly for organising these Challenges. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun Thanksgiving! Now I want pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's really fantastic, to come and see what is going on on this week's challenge, and then to see our picture and "YUMA" as challenge of the week. thank you so much and have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got me, Laura, again. A pretty, "easy" pattern that turns out to be not easy at all. Well, it wouldn't be a challenge, would it? As always, thanks for presenting us with a focus...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was tough for me. Going to need to practice this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to be remembered about gratefulness and that's what you just did with this post. So, thank you and bless you for being you.
    I like this tangle and you did a great job with your tile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What incredible good luck with the turkey - and you certainly look to have done it proud. Belated Thanksgiving good wishes and thanks for a wonderful challenge and introducing a great new tangle. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I am from germany and this is my first challenge, so I hope, I have done everything correctly!? I do zentangle for a few weeks and I like it really :-)))
    Your challenges are a good idea and I'll come back again surely.
    My english is not too good, I think, because I learned it long long time ago, but I hope, there are not too many mistakes in this comment ;-)
    Many greetings from germany to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy (belated) Thanksgiving. I can't wait for Thanksgiving here. My son will be home from Taiwan for 2 weeks. I love Skype but it just isn't the same. Hug those little ones whenever you can!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU AND ALL YOU CANADIANS!!! OMGoodness!! I got the biggest laugh about YOUR 'one hot turkey'!!! Too funny B-rad!!! How wonderful to have all of your family together. I'm sure your brother was there in spirit!! Good times!!! And I love your thankful list! It is nice to read other peoples lists, as it can bring insight to all of us! Love your tile using 'Yuma'! I think it's a fun tangle, thanks Tina, for sharing it with us!! :0) Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving! I am grateful for all your super challenge suggestions Laura!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Laura!
    I´ve allready visited your blog for several times and now it´s my first time that I take part in your challenge. I like it very much.
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finally got a challenge done, it has been months. Glad to see all the posts. Such talent and creativity. Nice pattern. One I will use once I get the look down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I want to celebrate Thanksgiving when you do. In the states, our celebration is too close to Christmas holidays and also the weather has gone down the tube and makes travel hard. Thanks for Yuma, good choice. I do my tangle before I check out others so I am not overly influenced. After I have submitted, I am amazed to see how many totally different takes on the challenge others create. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You WERE a rock star at CZT 15, Laura. And my daughter and I LOVED having breakfast with you

    ReplyDelete
  16. So exciting to see Tina's pattern featured for the challenge this month... such a wonderful woman!
    Happy thanks giving to you! And I too am grateful that you take the time to keep these challenges coming each week.
    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! Just a thought about a slide show... What if you just let us post links to our own images (hosted on FB or our blogs or whatever using this little blog hack. http://helplogger.blogspot.ca/2012/03/add-videosimages-in-bloggerblogspot.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Many blessings to all for the giving of thanks. Thanks for sharing this new tangle; had a lot of fun with it. Have a brilliant day! cstocks

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Thanksgiving, Laura! Thanks to you for all you do getting these challenges to us each week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday Artoo! Thanks Laura!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!