Monday, November 3, 2014

Weekly Challenge #192

Welcome tanglers!
Today is the first post in a series of guest bloggers as our family gets ready for and recovers from Artoo's eye surgery this month.  (i'll be updating Artoo's condition on my facebook page if anyone is interested)

This week's challenge is brought to you by Cris Letourneau

Weekly Challenge #192: "UMT - Seton by Cris Letourneau"

Happy November, tanglers. This is Cris Letourneau (AKA cris@TangledUpInArt) filling in for Madam Diva so she can focus on her family this week.

Last week, I had 2 students come back from a trip excited to share their sketchbook where they had recorded patterns from everywhere on their trip: the carpet in the hotel room, the carvings on buildings, even patterns on clothing of fellow travelers. Almost every tangler I know has found themselves becoming more attuned to the patterns they see all around them.

Sometimes, though, there are patterns that defy all attempts at deconstruction (the process of breaking down a pattern into a simple “one stroke at a time” tangle.) The windows at our church, Seton Parish, intrigued me for years, but my every attempt at producing simple steps failed.


Luckily, my daughter is much better at spatial problems and figured it out. If you have my book Pattern Play, you can find step outs and tangleations on page 62. If not, I have posted instructions on my website here and also on YouTube here. 

As a quilter, I can’t help but see quilt blocks and sashing when I look at this tangle.



I like to draw it with a fairly large grid to leave lots of room for tangleations. Here is a version filled with paradox and onomato.

Your challenge this week is to use Seton or a tangleation of it in your art this week OR deconstruct a pattern you see around you and use that in your art. Enjoy observing the patterns all around you.
Cris


Cris is a graduate of both CZT 5 and CZT 14. She enjoys teaching Zentangle classes in central Ohio and elsewhere. Information about classes and copies of her books:  Made in the Shade, Pattern Play, and Seeing Stars can be found on her website: TangledUpInArt.com and on her Facebook page: Certified Zentangle Teacher Cris
If you have a blog or an image hosting site such as Flickr or Picassa, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
i'm currently trying to decide what to do about the challenge slideshows (read here)... if you have any ideas i would love to hear from you! 
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com[not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________ 
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
 I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??


15 comments:

  1. I've always had some aversion to grid tangles...but I can't say no to a Diva Challenge (or such a fun-looking pattern), so, here goes. Off to try and find out a way to get this __out__ of grid! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with the grid tangles too, this was a good challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My apologies for accidentally posting an old challenge first. Second one is the one for this week - really enjoyed this challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonjour à tous! C'est mon premier Challenge. le motif proposé par Chris Letourneau était propice à de nombreuses variations. J'espère avoir respecté les règles car je comprends l'anglais de façon un peu approximative !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, I hope all goes well for Artoo and all the family. Hugs to you all. Chris, why do I have so much trouble with this pattern? Five attempts and I still can't get those curves right. And all the others are SOoooo good. Going off to sulk in a corner! I really like looking at this pattern but I can't get to grips with it., Dagnabbit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, I'm sending positive thoughts for all of you. Chris, I tried this challenge in a very jet lagged state. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I may have been slightly confused by the instructions this week. I thought that we had an option of doing either Seton or creating our own step out. I went with the latter, but after having looked at everyone else's posts, I think maybe I was supposed to use Seton. I will work on that, and post again later in the week. Until then, I apologize for posting something other than the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the same happened to me. and when i posted my entry on the challenge it disappeared again....hope it gonna appear back.but thank you cris, and all the best to diva and family.

      Delete
  8. My prayers go out to the Diva; may the medical professionals be empowered with superhuman abilities and a chorus of angels protect her family. I thank Cris for the challenge and will look for the book; I'm sure it's full of all sort of tangly good stuff. Have a brilliant day! c

    ReplyDelete
  9. so, my entry is on place 50., unfortuntely, i was pressing again,
    so there is the entry of last week on place 51.
    can anybody tell me if ican delete it, or could cris or diva do that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope things go well with Artoo's surgery and recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Cris, for this challenge. I do like your tangle and it's possibilities!
    So, the big day is tomorow for Artoo and his family. My thoughts will be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Cris.....had fun doing my very first tangle challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was my first weekly challenge. I liked it so much I created a blog so I can post what I created. ^_^'

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!