Monday, November 24, 2014

Weekly Challenge #195

Another wonderful guest post for you this week!

this week it's brought to you by Sandy Hunter, CZT

Weekly Challenge #195: "Turning Old into New" 

Greetings, fellow tanglers!

My name is Sandy Hunter, and I’ve been a certified Zentangle teacher since February of 2012. Like all the tangle fanatics before me, I’ve tromped a well-worn cyberpath to that cozy little corner of the internet that is the Diva’s Weekly Challenge blog… and now she’s offered me the chance to plop down by the fire in her figurative living room and uncork this week’s challenge! Hold on to your fuzzy socks!

••••••••••

Imagine your favorite go-to tangle pattern. Something you love; something you draw all the time. Is it a grid-based pattern? Or is it a ‘scatter’ pattern, that you can just use randomly to fill up a space? If nothing comes immediately to mind, go poke around on tanglepatterns.com …or pinterest. They’re gold mines for tangle patterns. 

Here’s the challenge: 
If you picked a grid-based pattern, pull it out of the grid and make it a freeform one. 
If it’s a freeform pattern, make it a grid-based pattern. That could mean several rows or a single row, drawn as a border.

The idea is to change the structure of a pattern, while still retaining its basic elements. Don’t worry about getting every part of it exactly “right”. If you’re having a good time and you’re drawing something you like, it’s perfect. 

Some examples (I meant to stop at two, but you know how it goes when you’re having a good time!):









Happy tangling! 

Sandy Hunter
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
i'm currently trying to decide what to do about the challenge slideshows (read here)... if you have any ideas i would love to hear from you! 
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com[not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________ 
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
 I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

18 comments:

  1. Sandy, what a fun challenge! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh, what fun, sandy! trying this tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear...Mooka in a grid...
    But really, amazing challenge! I'm probably going to end up doing at least 5 monotangles...thanks in bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sandy, I love this challenge. Looking forward to play with the idea tonight when my husband is watching football and I sit upstairs in my small room, just drawing in silence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this challenge of thinking both in and out of the box! :) It was a fun one to do and I think something that I will continue to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was fun with a capital F. I liked the idea of freeing up grid patterns and tried a few I hadn't used before. I eventually settled on Snagz and loved it. Thanks for the Challenge, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting and fun challenge! Thanks, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea - thank you! Hope I did it right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Challenging for a newbie...but such an interesting concept! Definitely makes you think outside the grid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good challenge! It would be good to come back to again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Sandy. Great challenge. I met tangles I have never seen before, and started looking at old ones in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a fun challenge, thank you Sandy! I'm sorry I put in the wrong link at first and I don't know how to take it out. Really sorry about that.
    And a very movint little video of the Diva. I recognized a lot of my own feelings there, as many of us I'm certain.
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a great exercise. Thanks Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This has been one of the most fun challenges I have done in awhile. I plan on playing some more with this idea. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sandy, with Thanksgiving time going on, I just want to give you a big shout out,........"THANK YOU!!!" Thank you for filling in for the Diva, and giving us such a brain stretching, challenge! I loved it, and want to play with it some more!!! Have a Happy day!!
    Laura, I hope all is well! You are all in my continued thoughts and prayers. I loved watching your lil' interview video! You're as cute as ever, even in video!!! Blessings!! :0) XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my first Diva Weekly Challenge entry! I'm so excited!!! I only got part of what I wanted to submit done, but such is life and I'll do better next week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Took me a while but I really enjoyed this one. Thank you Sandy - and here's hoping that all is going well with Artoo's recovery and your time with your family. Axxx

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!