Monday, December 1, 2014

Weekly Challenge #196

Hey my wonderful Tangly friends! Happy December!  Today's post is the last (but not least) in the series of guest bloggers! Please hang on, if you were expecting a UMT that will (most likely) happen next week!

Today's challenge is brought to you by the wonderful Emily Classon, CZT.  See y'all next week!

Weekly Challenge #196: All Dolled Up

Hello!  I am thrilled to be helping our fabulous Diva with her post this week.  We’re all sending along healing vibes to the Diva and her family.

As the mother of an adorable four-year-old girl, my life is surrounded by dolls--stuffed dolls, magnetic dolls, story dolls, and of course, an infinite supply of princess dolls.  For the holiday season, I will be creating a tangled tree as part of a local historical society’s seasonal exhibit.  Area organizations and businesses decorate a tree based on items from the society’s collection.  I chose antique dolls for a tangled paper doll tree.  Each 12-inch ornament will have an individually hand-tangled dress.  I can’t wait to see how this tree develops!

Your challenge this week is not to decorate an entire tree.  You may now breathe a huge sigh of relief. 

Instead, I invite you to be inspired by dolls like I have been.  Awaken your inner child, and add some playtime to your tangling with a doll-shaped string, a tangled paper doll chain, or a tangled fabric doll.  Do you have an old Barbie stuck in a trunk somewhere?  I bet there’s a way to tangle her too.

Here are a few of my tangled dolls for inspiration as well as a paper doll string on a Renaissance tile.







Thanks for playing along with me!  Happy tangling.

I am a mom (of an amazingly adorable 4-year old girl), blogger, freelancer, lizard-lover, and Certified Zentangle Teacher (CZT).  At home, I am referred to as The Queen of Silly, and I am seen donning a tiara at many a tangling event.  I live in Massachusetts.

I adore creativity and imagination.  For years I have been a scrapbooker and card maker.  I have explored a variety of crafts and once had a jewelry making business.  After falling in love with Zentangle® art and practice, I became a CZT in August of 2012.  

I used to be a crazy, Type-A perfectionist who multitasks while multitasking.  The Zentangle method has been transformative for me because it has encouraged me to slow down, to breathe, and to break down the chaos in my world into manageable pieces.  Tangling allows me to reduce stress, to center myself when my mind is swirling with thoughts, and to inspire my creativity. When I create Zentangle art, I get the same clarity and calmness that I get practicing yoga or meditation.  I love tangling and sharing my passion with others!
Emily Classon, CZT (9)
MomZenArtist
momzenartist (at) gmail.com




If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
i'm currently trying to decide what to do about the challenge slideshows (read here)... if you have any ideas i would love to hear from you! 
If you don't have a blog but still want to participate, you can email your tile to me and i will put it in the slideshow. (send submissions to: weeklychallenge at mail.com[not gmail, just mail]. I just ask that you put in the subject line: Challenge # ________ 
The deadline for each weekly challenge is Saturday night so that i can round everyone up by Sunday. What this means is that i will stop adding tiles to the slideshow on Sunday. You're still more than welcome to do the challenges and add your name to the linkey machine. - although to be honest the deadline is pretty forgiving.
 I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

24 comments:

  1. Thank you, Emily, for this challenge. No more dolls in my house, but I'm sure I'll get some inspiration to create something ' doll like'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had hoped people would have fun with it and was blown away by the amazing creations. Dolls can be anything--actual dolls, doll outlines, clothing, gingerbread men, toys, stuffed animals, angels, pin-ups, voodoo dolls, etc. The creativity is up to your imagination! :-)

      Delete
  2. A very topical challenge this week, thanks Emily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's very topical for me this month as a little 4-year-old is likely to get several new dolls.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this nice challenge - I found it difficult at first but then I had so much fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. Several people found it challenging at first and all rose to the occasion. I love how challenges can encourage us to try new things and play in different ways. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. How fun! Definitely stretched me outside my comfort zone... always a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! It can be challenging but exciting to see what we can do sometimes.

      Delete
  5. I loved all of your examples! Good memories of playing with paper dolls. Thanks for the fun challenge, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. It was fun to read all the posts and to see that many others shared my past love of paper dolls too. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm not sure I did very well, but I gave it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never about doing "very well"; it's about your enjoyment of the process. :-) Did you have fun? Did you challenge yourself in a new way? Did you enjoy tangling? It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks as long as you love what you're doing (the process regardless of the end result). That said, I think your colorful tangled people were fun and creative. They looked like they were ready to party! :-)

      Delete
  7. I love your dolly ornaments and your dolly tile...thanks for such a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I loved your card and Wayne's piece. Stunning! I'm glad you had fun. :-)

      Delete
  8. Absolutely LOVED this challenge! Thanks for a fun challenge ... now to work on some more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lezli, you made my day! :-) I'm glad you had fun. I was a little sad after I finished my dresses so I might have to make some more too. I'd love to see what you come up with.

      Delete
  9. Once upon a time, in another chapter of my life, I had a porcelain doll studio where we produce antique reproductions and original designs. Fond memories. Thank you for a reason to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this challenge brought you nice memories. :-)

      Delete
  10. Emily, thank you so much for this fun challenge! I have been wanting of experiment with something like this, so you brought the opportunity!! Thank you and thank you for standing in for the Diva!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome. I'm glad you had a good time. :-) Thank you for playing along!

      Delete
  11. Thank you all for the kind words and for participating in my guest challenge this week. It was truly amazing to read through each and every one of your blog posts and to see the stunning creations you made in response to my challenge. I learned that the doll idea posed a bit of a mystery to some, but everyone rose to the occasion with a fantastic piece. I love how everyone interpreted the challenge--doll strings, stencils, angels, paper dolls, doll clothing, doll-string zendalas, tangle folk, gingerbread men, Ken clothing, voodoo dolls, and even Mr. Potato Head! Challenges are always a way for us to find a way to make them work for us. If you don't like dolls or have fond memories of them, find a new way to interpret the idea. I love how creative and inspiring everyone was. It truly touched me to read stories about your experiences and memories. Several people said this challenge brought back special memories from childhood or of watching their children with dolls. I hope you've each been inspired like I have. I tried to comment on every post, but I apologize to the Flickr users that I can't seem to comment there. I did love your art though! Thank you all for playing with me this week and for sharing your art for all to see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Emily, your dolls are all amazing!! :)
    ~ Diane Clancy
    http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2014/12/diva-dolled-challenge-entry

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!