Monday, December 15, 2014

Weekly Challenge #198

Good Morning everyone!

Welcome to the Last Challenge of 2014!  If you're a regular here, you'll know that i tend to take the last few weeks of December off to do Christmassy things with my family!  Don't Worry, we'll be back and ready to rock on January 5th!

What adorable little Christmas Trees they make.

the family tree selfie
We had some pretty crazy weather up here, it was really cold and snowy... and then - just like that it was warm and all the snow was melting... we had about 3 or 4 days of temps hovering around 4-6 degrees Celsius (that's about 39-42F)

i took this picture early one morning of my neighbours tree... i love hoar frost
The boys are having a tough time with the dark this year.  I was telling a friend that the sun has been rising around 9:08am and then going down at about 5:43pm.  Chewie is having a hard time going to school in the dark.  But thankfully we are almost at the darkest peak!

These are amazing cookies - i made them for a cookie exchange with some girlfriends
There've been lots of baking and holiday movie watching as well.  We've watched Elf, Arthur Christmas, The Legend of Frosty the Snowman; and The Muppets Family Christmas tends to get watched every single day.  (B-rad and i attempted to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation together last night and we were both seriously underwhelmed.  lol - i remember it being a lot funnier, now it just seems really stupid.)

The boys and i have been busy making Christmas type crafts as well.  Chewie likes to make snowflakes.


he's having fun, he just tends to make a 'grump' face when i take pictures of him now...
i forsee a lot of 'grump' as we venture into teendom


We also got our letters to Santa sent in the mail!  that was a fun day.

and i've been busy carving stamps like a crazy lady.... I've been doing the #CarveDecember challenge with Julie Fei-Fan Balzer, but i haven't been carving every day... mostly just the odd numbered days (Suzanne's doing the evens ;) hello Suzanne!)

Here's a few of them:




It's been really fun!!
I also attended my first ever Dr. Sketchy Anti-Art School event which is a life drawing session with burlesque dancers as the models.  it was really fun, and i'll be going again in January!  I've never done life drawing before - it was hard!!

here's one sketch i particularly liked.... (I don't do faces very well so i tend to just not draw them)

Busy busy busy!!

Weekly Challenge #198: "K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple, silly!)"
so!!
We are officially entering into YEAR FOUR of the Weekly Challenge!! Can you believe it?? The very first challenge was issued 4 years ago, on December 20th 2010.

I went back and re-read the first challenge (found here) and i can remember where i was at, all those years ago.  Artoo was only a few months old, and we were still dealing with his diagnosis of Moebius Syndrome but were not yet telling anyone about it.  We were struggling to keep our heads above water as we navigated the terrain of the crazy learning curve of a special needs child.  I wanted to stick my head in the sand and never come out, and i still wanted to make christmas special for then-2-year-old Chewie.

I look at where i am today and i find that i am still NEEDING some simplicity in my life -  just in other ways.   There are so many things that need to be done.  Gifts to be made/purchased/and wrapped, activities to do with the kids... I feel like the minutes and the hours of the days are gone before i even begin.  I don't want to venture out to the stores, but i'm not done shopping and someone has to!  Christmas dinners with families, christmas parties with friends... i sort of feel like December needs to be 6 weeks long, instead of 4, only then there would be 6 weeks of craziness.

So, we come back to the challenge.  The first challenge ever posed here... the challenge to simplify. To keep it simple, silly.

How does this challenge speak to you.  How can you translate that into your work? Will you simplify your string? Simplify your tangles?
Here's my tile. 

Also, congratulations to the winners from last week's giveaway: Suzanne Wilka, Bunny Wright, and Lucy Banta! I hope to get those in the mail for you as soon as i can!!
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
I will be more diligent with the linkey machine - by editing out the ones that don't work, the doubles, the links that lead to nowhere, the links that go just to blog home pages (this is why we need those site specific urls), and the spam. And there is some spam. PLEASE do not put your *home* page in the linkey machine... please? for me??

23 comments:

  1. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entering a 4 year wonder! I want you to know how much you have given me in joy. Monday became my favorite day of the week. Thank you so much! Merry Christmas tangling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great carved stamps!!!!! Thank you so much for the Diva Challenges. Even when I don't post the results, just having the challenge pushes me to go beyond what I think I can do. And I love to see how other people interpret the challenge. It shows me other possibilities that I may not have even thought of. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Looking forward to the zentangle challenges for 2015! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first Zentangle Christmas season Your challenges have been a great catalyst for my interest in Zentangle and enough inspiration for me to sign up for a CZT training seminar! Best wishes to you, B-rad, Chewie and Artoo for a merry Christmas and a Happy and healthy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those carved stamps! I must pull my stamp making materials out and make some too. Merry Christmas to you and to your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for Weekly Challenge! And have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's wishing you and yours the happiest of Christmases. Enjoy the simple things of life. And thank you for putting art into my life on a weekly basis. It has meant a great deal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my very first weekly challenge! Thanks for the great ideas....simplicity is my favorite, especially this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ich wünsche Laura Harms, ihrer Familie und allen Teilnehmern ihrer Challenge frohe Weihnachten, ein schönes Fest und einen guten Rutsch und viel Glück für das kommende Jahr!
    Bis zu neuen Herausforderung nach den Feiertagen!
    Liebe Grüße
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your stamps! Especially the repeating! I've never ventured into carving my own but this makes me want to!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just joined in a few weeks ago, but am loving the challenges so far - thank you for doing them! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas, and see you in 2015! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. C'est très joli, on dirait de la dentelle !

    It's very pretty, it looks like lace!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and all the best in 2015! Congrats on starting your 4th year, WOW unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Laura, just wanna say it's amazing how big your boys are getting! Merry Christmas to you and little family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So I have been following and doodling for a few challenges now and finally decided to post one :) Be gentle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laura, a very Merry Christmas to you and the family!!!! Artoo looks amazing!!! How exciting that must be for you all! I'll keep praying that his surgery is a complete success!!!
    Your KISS tile is simple and beautiful! Thank you for this challenge, it just reminds us that it doesn't have to always be 'more'! That less and simple can be just as amazing!!
    So glad to see your rubber stamping projects. I had bought all the stuff to do them, I just haven't gotten around to doing anything. (Partly, intimidation! I think I've been a little afraid.) Anyway, you have inspired me again!!! Thank you!
    Enjoy your time with your family and we'll see you next year!!
    (((hugs))) Annette

    ReplyDelete
  17. I managed (just barely) to do this week's challenge. It's taking me a bit to get back in the groove; but I'm slowly getting there (accent on the slowly).

    I hope you and B-rad and the boys have a wonderful Christmas and a Healthy, Happy, Terrific New Year. Looking forward to all the upcoming challenges in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Laura! I sent my challenge tangle to you last weekend. I wonder if you received it? I will hopefully have a blog up soon that I can link from, but until then... if it's too late, I'll just try again for the next challenge. Take care! Kristen A

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not sure, whether it's ok, to still post something. well, I just did :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi!! Sorry I missed some evens, you'll be made up for the slack in a few days I think.. My sister is home, til Sunday, from Spain, so I wasn't home for quite a bit. xoxo Happy 2015

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just joined. I know I'm late for this one. I'll try to do better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations Laura! Your work and inspiration are amazing. Keep it up. I look forward to the next 200! from fellow czt3

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!