Monday, January 5, 2015

Weekly Challenge #199

Hello everyone! Welcome back, it's a brand new year and the 4th year of the Diva's Weekly Zentangle Challenge!

Watch as i slam you with photos! ;)

CHEERS!!

the cutest little Elves this side of the North Pole
Just before school ended for Winter Break Chewie found himself with some kind of a nasty cough l... it carried over the holidays - he's still coughing... although it doesn't sound nearly as nasty - Thankfully.  So, we spent a lot of the holiday making sure no one else got sick.. and we were mostly successful except now *i'm* sick.  :(

Chewie is FAR more excited than he appears in this photo,
which is still pretty excited, too bad Artoo wasn't there
I also took a laser ornament making class with my pal Tara where the website said we could submit our own designs for the lasers to cut out.....

We broke the class
 Leave it to the two Zentangle artists to come up with designs that ultimately broke the class.

the laser at work
Our designs, while adhering to the specifications of the artwork parameters, were too intricate and our pieces took longer to set up and longer to cut out and our pieces melted.  :(

Luckily, the lady took our work over the week and made them bigger and made them out of MDF board instead of acrylic.  

And so i'm the proud owner of a laser cut version of my very first challenge... Simplicity


Pretty neat, huh?

The Marathon that was Christmas was full of Christmas Magic.  The boys were mostly well behaved through all the gatherings and lack of sleep and lack of naps and over sugared and extra cookies and cakes and pies and people and relatives... 

We had some struggles with a case of the "Greedies" in Chewie's case.  I'm not sure how to address this in the coming years.  We are trying to explain to him that people give him gifts because they love him, and they took the time to find a gift for him - the VERY LEAST he can do is to say thank you and be grateful.  
Artoo's Rudolph nose

Chewie's Santa Hat
 We had such beautiful weather leading up to Christmas.  B-rad and I were excited because they boys were getting a toboggan for Christmas! But then, wouldn't you know it - Christmas day and the temps DROPPED waaaaaaay down.... and they haven't gone up.

We took it for a spin around the block but had to go back home because it was too cold
The boys got some fun board games this year, so we've been playing a lot of HeadBandz, Memory, and my favourite: Yahtzee!

I am a Key! I am a pillow!
as well as copious amounts of video games....
I am a helicopter! I am a tractor!
And now we're busting into year 2015.  Another year older, perhaps a bit wiser - but i doubt it. ;)
I don't like to do New Year's Resolutions - but i do like to think of goals...
this year i'm participating in a few online classes like Mandala Magic (again, for my 3rd year!) and the Documented Life Project (again for my 2nd year) and i've signed up for another 10K race, and a 5K Foam Fest run with B-rad and my parents....

and i've finally chosen my OneLittleWord to focus on for 2015.... BADASS (Thank you Elisa!)


What about you guys! Any awesome goals or art projects or focus words for 2015??

Weekly Challenge #199: "UMT: Hitch by HeidiSue"

this week's UMT comes to us from HeidiDue and her blog: TanlgeOoh! You can find the step outs for her tangle HERE

This is a great tangle, and as you can see - there is LOTS of room for variations.... i particularly like the one second from the left.  So fun.
For those of you who don't know, the first Monday of the month, is a UMT Challenge (Use My Tangle), where the challenge is to learn and use a tangle created by one of you! It's awesome for me, because i don't have time to try all the new tangles i see on the web on a regular basis. This challenge makes sure i'm at least learning ONE new tangle a month... 
if you have a tangle you'd like to submit, please follow this link for the guidelines for submissions. Each month's tangle is chosen at random by www.random.org 
Have fun with this tangle!  Have a great week!  See you all back here next week for the 200th Weekly challenge!!!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 


34 comments:

  1. It looks like your holidays were awesome!! I loved your laser art... Sooo cool! Great 2015 word... I have no doubt that you have already and will continue to achieve it! It's nice to have the challenges back... Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Laura and Happy New Year! Seems like you had some fun times and look at all that snow, I can't imagine how cold it must be brrr. Looking forward to this year's challenges -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year. I was having withdrawal symptomes from missing the the weekly challenge. BTW, the surgery really seems to have helped Artoo's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun, fun, fun, I loved working with "Hitch" Thank you Laura for giving me the best Monday in the new Year! I love your posts, I love your creativity and I love your inspirational family. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to have you back. I'm glad you had a nice holiday. Do take care of yourself. Sometimes we just take care of others and kind of forget about ourselves. I'm looking forward to another year of growing with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. giggle. I hadn't peeked at the challenge yet, but an email from David Hunter steered me over here. What fun to have my pattern selected! cool. I can hardly wait to see what people do with Hitched. Thanks, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mom's always get sick after the holiday, didn't you know that? :) Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello.. This is not my fist visit, I've peeked the challenge quite a few times but never submitted anything. You have such a nice family and I love reading your blog. Now for the new year I have decided to get better at tangeling and all in all be more creative. So here goes my first submission.
    Hitch just looked so much like little chicken heads that I couldn't help myself... My brain wants spring it seems. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you and your loved ones have a FANTASTIC 2015!!!!
    Love your laser art and all the photo's, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year! Many thanks for your Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super start to the new year, thanks for the 'photo slam'!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Laura, a happy new year and thank you for the challenges. I am looking forward to #200! Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy new year to you and your family! Thank you for this wonderful challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back, and Happy New Year! Glad you had a great holiday, and really enjoyed the challenge this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year! This is my first time participating in the challenge, though I've been lurking for months. It's so inspiring here and such a fun challenge. Thanks for all that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Laura for the first challenge of 2015 and Heidi-Sue for creating hitched.
    It's amazing to see all the photos of snow over there and to learn it is too cold to go out!!! It is so hot here (Sydney) we can't sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome back. Your holidays look like you and yours had lots of fun. Thanks for the challenge this week. I am looking forward to a lovely year of tangling.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy 2015!! Blessed year ahead :) Artoo looks very well! He's got such beautiful eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My first time to post on your blog. Talk about procrastination on my part. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi everybody! I am going to take part in all your challenges during the new year! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Welcome back, Laura! Wow, you are heading into the 4th year...unbelievable! Love all the family photo's and look forward to another year of watching the boy grow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. dear laura, happy that you are back. the challenge is important and inspiering for the zentangle-world.all the best to you and the family.
    hug, tina-akua

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you Laura for the new challenge and HeidiSue for the nice tangle. Hitched is easy to draw but I can see that it provides many opportunity for variations. I'm sure I'll use it again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice to see you are back and your family is well and happy. All the best in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Laura, i loved your blogpost! And I'm sorry, but I had to laugh about what you said about the 'Greedies'! My daughter just turned 5 on the 1st of Jan and between that and Christmas gifts, she was exactly how you explained Chewie. But know worries, my 8 and 7 year olds are now past that age, so they do grow out of it. (It just makes me want to crawl under the table though when the Greedies kick in) Anyway, good to see you had a great Holiday! Yes, games with family is always fun! Artoo looks as handsome as ever! I hope his surgery is all tha thou hoped for. Continued prayers and please give both those lil' guys a big hug for me! They totally remind me of my boys! Love it! Wishing you and yours a very Healthy, Happy, Peaceful, and Prosperous New Year!!! (((hugs))) Annette

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful tangle for the weekly challenge. Thanks to HeidiDue and IamtheDiva.

    Have a great 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Welcome back. Hope I can keep up. The family is looking good. Like the laser piece.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So many possibilities with this tangle! Love it. Happy New Year to all.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great to see you back and your family looking so well, Laura. All the best and onward, onward you Badass creature! Axx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello! I am new to your challenge. I understand that there are supposed to be slideshows for the challenges somewhere, but I can't find them. May I know how I can access them? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Welcome back, Laura. And Happy New Year to you and the boys (all 3 of them). Looking forward to another year of your fabulous challenges. Can't believe it's #200 coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!