Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Weekly Challenge #205

Happy Tuesday everyone!

I hope everyone had a nice long weekend, to those of you who were lucky enough to have one.
I'm so proud of my little mixed media artist
Friday was Chewie's Valentine's celebration at school, and i'm so happy he chose to make his valentine's again this year.  We have so much fun playing with all my inks and sprays and stencils and stamps and paint.



Chewie left me this poem Friday night before bed.  I love it, and i'm keeping it forever.  He also didn't want Dad or Artoo to feel left out, so he made one for each of them as well.  Artoo was so pumped up about Valentine's day, he was so happy to get a poem from his brother and one of Chewie's handmade cards.   After the boys were in bed i made them both cards and left them on the table for them to find at breakfast. 

For Artoo
Artoo carried around his valentine for most of the day.

For Chewie
Valentine's day (Saturday) was pretty lowkey at our house.  We got up and had pink heart shaped pancakes for breakfast.  It was snowing pretty hard (nothing like they're getting on the East Coast but enough) so we stayed in all day and played video games and did laundry. (how romantic)

all you need is love
We had a very short bout of nice-ish weather on the weekend - Sunday, to be exact.  It was a balmy -9C so we took the boys out for a bit of sledding.  After the snowfall of the previous day, there was lots of fluffy snow covering the hill.  The boys had a great time.  B-rad and i were exhausted.

So happy!
I love my little family
Chewie and I having a lie-down in the snow after climbing to the top of the hill
 Monday was Family Day, and there was some talk about going sledding with my mom and dad and my brothers' families - But even though the day was sunny and beautiful, the temperature was a nasty -29C so we decided NOT to try sledding, and went bowling instead.

Artoo got some help from dad
 This was the first time Artoo had ever been bowling - if you don't count the one year when he was an infant and still had his legs in boots and bars for his clubbed feet.  He had a lot of fun - but had some difficulty getting any power in his throws.  One ball went so slowly it stopped in the middle of the alley and we had to get someone to come and clear it off.

He kept yelling: "Put some SAUCE on it!" when he'd throw the ball...  it was so seriously adorable.

Chewie had fun too, i think - but he had a very hard time dealing with the fact that he could not get a strike.  That boy likes to win.
Chewie's bowl
B-rad did fairly well, he used to bowl on a team in high school - and i think it is safe to say that i will not be leaving the Weekly Challenge for an exciting professional bowling career any time soon.  In fact, my score was 85.  (5 pin bowling).  Chewie got 101.  (he had bumpers on his alley, i did not... but i'll let him have it - he's pretty proud that his score was higher)

After bowling the whole crew came back to our place and we had ice cream sundaes.  It was pretty fantastic.

Weekly Challenge #205: "Year of the Goat"
This Thursday is Chinese New Year, and in the Chinese Zodiac 2015 is the Year of the Goat (Or the Sheep, apparently... depending on which website you look at)

B-rad was born in the year of the Goat, I was born in the year of the Monkey - even though we're both born in 1980.  (B-rad's birthday in is January, and he's a Capricorn, so he's a Goaty Goat.) lol
Goaty
 This week is to incorporate the Chinese New Year into your tile.  I just did a quick Google Image search for Chinese New Year 2015 and looked around then created this Goat head zendala.

I imagined it looking WAY COOLER in my head, lol, you can't win 'em all - but as my regulars know: It's my own PERSONAL challenge to always post my first attempt.  Whether i like it or not.  I'm not crazy about this one, but here it is.

Have fun! Have a great week.
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

18 comments:

  1. The poems are really lovely :-)
    I had to look in a dictionary what a goat is in german, but now I found it ;-) I will have a look what to tangle for your challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Put some sauce on it!" I can't stop giggling :) Sounds like my son :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the risk of sounding patronizing, after several months of reading your weekly challenge blog posts, I have to say that if anyone deserves to be a mother, it's you! I'd want to be your kid----except for in the winter---in Canada. We're just back from a Caribbean Cruise to the "relatively" frozen tundra of Philadelphia. If you don't mind some weather driven whining, check out my challenge response this week. I'm quite proud of my goat----or to be more exact, piece of a goat. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great family outing! And as always, thanks for the challenge. I can send a copy of mine to my son in lieu of a red envelope ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You deserved this long weekend with your family and I like the photo's and stories that you shared.
    Thanks for the new challenge, I loved doing it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your sweet family!
    Roses are red, so is my sheep,
    Hope you stay warm, and we'll see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your family stories!!

    Melanye Narcarti

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no idea how to use a blogger - did my post display my goat zentangle ?
    Fffffffffffffrustrated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my first entry for the Diva Challenge. My lovely mum (MaggiBee) has been doing it for a while. Honestly it's like holding cake in front of my face! I had to give it a go! Some awesome pics on here! Really enjoyed doing the goat/sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura, I always love your family photos and stories. Absolutely adore Chewie's poem and cards! You and B-rad are raising two amazing, compassionate boys! This week's challenge was definitely a challenge, but once I got my thoughts organized, I enjoyed it. I used a Google Image of a goat rather than having my goat look like a cat. (the only animal I can draw!) Happy Chinese New Year!
    ....Deanne B

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should frame that gorgeous photo of you and Chewie lying in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my first time to do a weekly challenge...I've been tangling for a couple of years, so should have done this long ago! I have a Zentangle buddy who I hope will also find time to complete the challenge. I've enjoyed seeing the variety of responses and have often been inspired to try the new tangles for myself. Thank you Diva for facilitating this Zentangle fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much for all the motivation. You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been tangling for a couple years and have enoyed reading your posts on your family and challenges. I made it one of my goals this year to participate in each of your challenges even if I'm late. So far, I've been doing it and it has been such a great blessing in my life. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and inspiring us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ThIs challenge was the hardest for me. None of the pictures for goats worked for me. They were ugly. I had to redo my tiles like 3 times. Finally I decided on this.
    ( oops my link is in there 2 times).

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really have to agree with the earlier comment by Anonymous: "You and B-rad are raising two amazing, compassionate boys!" Chewie and Artoo are truly ahead of the pack.

    As for the challenge; it turned out to really be a challenge for me. I just couldn't put it together this week. The tile I posted is not so hot. I hope to come up with something better before the day is over.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!