Monday, February 23, 2015

Weekly Challenge #206

Good Monday Morning!

It's been a very long week here at Casa Diva.  Chewie has been home from school all week for February break! But! Something magical happened this week!

I have three brothers - and i often say to my mom: "I don't know how you managed to not murder us in our sleep."  and she always just laughs and says that having four kids wasn't so bad because we all played with each other and we kept ourselves occupied.

So many times i wondered when this would happen to me.

Well, folks? The boys actually spent time playing "together"!!
This is a huge deal.

Behold Chewie's Lego creation: Rancor 2.0!
 Tuesday Morning they spent a good half hour playing Lego ships together on the kitchen floor.  chewie made 2 sweet ships and then flew around shooting at each other and ACTUALLY PLAYING!!

Wednesday they took on the Colossal task of ridding the house of zombies.  And off they went, my little zombie-killing duo, and systematically cleared the zombies out of EVERY room in the house.  I'm so glad they took care of that for me, cuz the zombies around here were getting pretty ridiculous.

Thursday they found some play-doh and made amazing creatures and then made little models of each OTHER and play acted a bunch of random scenes.  I really wish i had gotten a pic of their little mini-mes.


By Friday though, it seemed that playing with his brother had lost some of it's charm, and Chewie began pestering his brother - which led to many conversations about how just because HE is bored doesn't mean he's allowed to bother his brother (who is pretty content to do his own thing)

it's so interesting being parents to little human beings and to see how much they are similar, and then see how much they are different.  My little extrovert and my little introvert.  hm.

Friday night i got to get out with b-rad's cousin and attend another Dr. Sketchy life drawing session.  The theme of this night was PUNK ROCK and so the music was rowdy and there was beer and there was this amazing burlesque model named Stella Behaviour who told us her stories from back when she was a PUNK.

She pretty much looked ready to jump over the table and knock a few heads. 

Saturday night my good pal Tara and her hubby came over for some board games, where they introduced us to some fun games.  One of which is King of Tokyo which is like a funner version of Yahtzee where you play monsters attacking Tokyo.  They left the game with us for a while because we thought Chewie would probably LOVE playing it . We were right.

Adorable Monster Boys
On Sunday night we drove out to B-rad's mom and dad's for a family supper - where within 5 minutes of being there i managed to SLICE OPEN MY RIGHT THUMB trying to open a cardboard box for Artoo.   I'm not going to lie. it hurt. a lot.  But i managed.  It's  funny how you don't realize how much you use your right thumb until you lacerate it on a stupid box.

On our way how we got to watch this amazing sunset.

They don't call Saskatchewan Land of the Living Skies for nothing. 
 That's also Venus pictured there as well.  Chewie thought that was so cool that he could see a planet.

Weekly Challenge #206: "Tools/Trade"
So, i sliced open my thumb.  did i mention that?  As we were driving home from my in-laws and my thumb was throbbing in pain, i contemplated perhaps taking the day off from the challenge. Then i thought; "No, maybe i can make this work for me?"  And so when i got home and the boys were in bed, i decided to try something different.

typically, i work on the regular zentangle size tile -  3.5"x3.5", or a zendala tile; but for this challenge i used a zentangle apprentice tile, which is larger than a regular one.  it's 4.5"x4.5"

the reason i used a larger tile is because i wanted to spend as little time on my tile as possible (because of the throbbing bleedy thumb).  So instead of using a .01 Sakura micron pen i used a Prismacolor Brush nib pen.

The brush nib is very soft and flexible, and leaves a heavier line.  Since the nib was super flexible, i really had to slow down (Which sort of defeated the purpose of using a larger nib in the first place, d'oh) and take my time with each pen line.  I also was holding the pen at the very back of my hand because it was the only way it didn't hurt to proceed.


For me, it was very reminiscent of the non-dominant hand challenges because (THUMB!) i had to let go of my expectation and really just focus on the feeling of the pen dragging across the paper.  It was very relaxing, and while it's not very pretty - it's still pretty awesome. 

So - this week's challenge is NOT to go and cut your thumbs open.  PLEASE do not do that.  :)

This week's challenge is to try using tools or materials you've never used before for tangling.  Maybe you've always wanted to try tangling with watercolours instead of pens? Or maybe india ink? Or maybe a ballpoint pen? or perhaps you want to use nature and create a piece in the snow or the sand, or out of plants or flowers or twigs... maybe you want to use your sewing machine? Or try some embroidery? maybe you want to use a digital drawing program?

Rick is fond of saying that Zentangle can be done anywhere, with anything, even if it's just a stick in the sand.

What will you use?

happy tangling!
Love Laura

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)


21 comments:

  1. Dear Laura. Get well soon and keep an eye on your 10 fingers, please. Always LOVE your challenges, Pictures of your family and nature life.
    Huggi Beate

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a week you've had. Hope your thumb heals quickly. It must be terribly awkward as well as painful. Sending you healing vibes. Your tangle is awesome. I love the idea of using different tools. Now to decide which ones....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sunset and a great challenge--hope I'm up to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear. I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on for this challenge.

    Except for the bleeding part, your post this week resonated for me as we also raised two sons who are now ages 27 and 31 and still simply do not "get" each other. Growing up, their interactions mostly involved fighting or verbal sniping. My favorite example of their relationship is when I rushed to find out why the younger one (then about age 6) was wailing. He was genuinely furious and sputtered, "Ben body slammed me into the wall and I did not deserve it." ME: "You mean, unlike the other myriad times when you absolutely, positively deserved it?" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a rather clumsy family. I really feel for you! I do hope your thumb is better soon. I've just put my pic up, I hope you don't mind that I themed it after your injury! Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh! I also meant to say. We're big board gamers here and LOVE king of tokyo! Such a simple but very fun game!

    ReplyDelete
  7. # 15 : tangled with gel pens on a piece of gift wrap
    best wishes,
    ursula b. from Berlin, Germany

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thoroughly enjoyed this challenge. Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor you, that must have hurt soooooo much; I can almost feel it by just thinking of it. But Laura, it gave you this great (GREAT) idea for the challenge. I have only seen 12 entries but already saw so many ideas that I might do one day. THANK you so much for this fantastic challenge!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sliced my finger trying to open something in that clear plastic stuff. It really wasn't much of a slice except I am on a rather strong blood thinner and I honestly did not think we were ever going to get it to stop bleeding. We even were considering the hospital, lol! On any one else it would've been a scratch, but I had to go and be dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this challenge. This is a project I've been meaning to do for a while and this was just the nudge I needed. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keep arms and hands inside the bus at all times! Hope your thumby heals quickly. But it did give way to some interesting "outside of the box" thinking and exploration! Love seeing how your kids are playing together. :) See you on the interwebs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember building mud cities with my younger brother in the backyard. Tonka trucks,and HotWheels cars! ...of course, that was 50 years ago! Terrific challenge Laura! Without it I would have never taken the leap. Ever since discovering Zentangle 3 1/2 months ago, I've dreamed of replacing my everyday dishes with tangled ones. Well, a shallow dollar store dish, a Sharpie CD/DVD pen (no porcelain pens in my town), and a new to me tangle... and voila! I had lots of fun and was surprised at how easy it was! ...Deanne B

    ReplyDelete
  14. That crazy blister packaging is brutal. Have battle scars too. I now keep a pair of strong garden scissors in the drawer to help do combat. Frustrating. You bought the product - now you have to fight your way through danger to get to it.

    But really pleased that you came up with this challenge. I'd been playing with ink and pen and have been away from the great interweb for a few months so this was a perfect reintroduction. Thanks Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Take it easy on yourself! That being said, what a great challenge! It gave me the purrfect excuse to use one of the black tiles that I won during your 200th challenge! As nervous as I was to try, I think it turned out nicely! Thanks again for all that you do for us. Hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there!! I loved this challenge! It forced me to do a couple things I have been wanting to give a try!!! I sure hope your finger is usable, again! Those kind of booboos take forever to heal, too! Have a great week end! ( hey, ps. you won't by chance be going to any CZT Seminars in the summer will you?,.........Like maybe #20? It would be so cool if you were there! Sorry, just wishful thinking) :0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love playing with AutoCAD with this one. Even though it crashed 3 time and i lost a lot of work each time. Reminded me to save often. :) Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Laura, I can totally relate to the thumb slice. My family is a family of A+ klutzes and we are doing things like this all the time, it seems. I feel your pain and hope that it heals soon. On the bright side, I think it was a stroke of genius to push us out of or safe box to try something new. That's just one of the reasons I enjoy this group so very much. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gosh, Laura. I hope your thumb is much better. It hurts just thinking about it. Thanks for another challenging challenge. Looking forwrd to next week's.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for this challenge! I have been putting off combining my Zentangle with my father's photography. This pushed me past my perfectionism! Be well!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!