Monday, April 20, 2015

Weekly Challenge #214

You guys!! how fun was last week's challenge? LOL.  I love how creative you guys got!! (I saw many scissors and tangled kitchen utensils, so fun!)

Strings are everywhere! :D

This week we had lots of Sunny days, but April being April the wind was very cold even though the sun was warm.  looking forward to those warmer days.  annnnny day now.

on the weekend we had a fundraiser BBQ at a local hardware store to raise money for our family to go to Los Angeles next summer to attend the next Moebius Syndrome Conference.  For those of you who are new, my son Artoo has this rare neurological condition, so attending these conferences have been very amazing for us.

anyway - we have to sign up for these BBQ dates with the hardware store in January, and you take what you can get, and we got saturday.  It just so happened that Saturday was very windy, super chilly, and we had a very poor go of things.  we didn't lose money, but it was very close.
The day was cold, but the food was hot
Luckily, i have really great friends and family who made the day fun, despite the weather.  I did get this sweet wind burn, though.  So, i guess that's something.  

the sad thing is that both Friday and Sunday were sunny days.... ah well.  Better luck next year, i guess.

How was your week?

Weekly Challenge #214: "Amanda Day/Earth Day (Round 4!)"
This Wednesday is Earth Day. I know this because it's on my calendar, but mostly i know this because Chewie is learning about Earth Day in grade one and so he comes home and tells me its X many days left until Earth Day.  

So, there's this thing that happened 4 years ago, when Chewie was only 4 and Artoo was 18 months old - Chewie decided to rename the Earth Amanda.  I'm not sure why.  I don't even think he knows anyone called Amanda.  But the name has stuck.  

See the past Amanda Day challenges here: 

For these Amanda Day challenges, it seems i like to do them on Zendala tiles.  They roundess just lends itself so well to the Earth, don't you think? 

This year, at WeLove2Tangle in the art shop - i picked up two Masking Fluid pens.  So i thought i'd try them out on my tile this week. 

She's got the whooooole world, on her kitchen table
I sketched out a VERY ROUGH Amanda onto my zendala tile, then using my masking fluid pen, i tangled on the Earth. 

It dries blue so you can see it.  Then you watercolour overtop and
when the whole thing is dry - you erase the masking fluid
Using the pen was challenging because it was so thick, but overall i liked it.  This might be fun to try on an Opus tile, perhaps.  ANYWAY, i tangled on my Earth, and then i used some Twinkling H2O paints in varying shades of green and blue, and painted overtop. 

When the whole thing was dry, i erased the masking fluid, but the white was TOO white.  

Sorry, i didn't take a picture of the super white tangles. 

So to 'push back' the tangles a little bit, i went back over the Earth parts with a very light wash of green.  

It's not my favourite thing i've ever done, but i like it. 
When i went back over with the wash, i lost a lot of my tangle definition.  But overall - i like it.  
As always, my own personal challenge is to ALWAYS post my first try.  regardless of it's state of 'perfection'.

i think it's an interesting piece - and plus sometimes art doesn't work out on the first try, and that's okay.  But i'm interested to keep trying this technique to see where it takes me. 

So, this week GO wherever the challenge takes you; round tile, or plant like tangles, or use earth tones, or used recycled materials, or something cool i haven't thought of!!

 - - - Happy Earth Day everyone! (Happy Amanda Day, Chewie!)

Have a great week.

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

26 comments:

  1. Lovely! The slight loss of definition is alright. Think of it as cloud cover. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool earth!! Looks glorious and with a little cloud cover as Margaret said. Sorry your fundraiser was hurt by weather (been there, done that, no fun!!) Glad you have a strong community!!

    ~ Diane Clancy
    http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2015/04/my-diva-amanda-day-earth-day-4-challenge-entry/

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very cool your example is this week. You are truly an amazing person. Where can I donate to your cause?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, thank you Gloria. :)
      donations an be made to my PayPal address madam_diva at yahoo dot com

      Delete
  4. I love the way your earth (Amanda?) turned out. I like the way the tangles blurred. Really, really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tile. I've never used a mask glad you explained how it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's pretty fun, i'm definitely going to be trying again.

      Delete
  6. I went simple on my amanda but posted anyway since its my first challenge done as a CZT! Yay!

    Thanks for including your techniques. I can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations Deb!! welcome to the CZT family!

      Delete
  7. I'm so inspired by everyone's Earth Day interpretations! Some I can't seem to comment on because none of the sign-in options work (cariofthevalley goes to a blogger account I don't use anymore, wordpress doesn't work on my site that lives off of it...sigh)...but know that I look at them all and appreciate them! My first challenge as a new CZT, too, like Deb above (whose post I couldn't comment on!)... Can't wait to see the rest later in the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cari, i'm sorry you're having trouble commenting. I understand. i can't comment on any wordpress blogs for some reason.
      Congratulations on becoming a CZT!

      Delete
  8. It looks like you had all the crew together for your BBQ that were the most important. Hope another venue will work out better. Thanks for the fun Amanda Day challenge, I had a really fun time working on it AND I LOVED your tile Laura...it's beautifully shaded and rendered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Cari, I too sometimes have problems leaving a comment on some sites - Flickr doesn't like me, for instance. And, also like her, I do visit and enjoy looking at what other people do. The Diva Challenge goes way beyond the tiles we do ourselves, but gives us a peep into many other talented people's work. As always, thanks to Laura for keeping this thing going.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful zendala. Such lush color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I could have sent you our Saturday weather! It was hot but the tree pollen nearly killed me so that part isn't so good. Love your tile and really enjoyed the challenge this week. Having said that, when don't I?!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Earth Day! Lovely "Amanda." Thanks for sharing the technique and lessons learned. Perhaps a light underpainting of color first? It looks like much fun. I'd like to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura, I LOVE your Amanda tile!!! HAPPY AMANDA DAY!!! (I sent two messages,but from my phone, and thought they went through but for some reason, nope) Anyway, I hope you can come to LA for the Moebius Syndrome Conference! Let me know if you do, I'm only an hour away. I could help out with a place to stay, or dinner or outings, whatever! I think we should do a fundraiser for you ever year when you do the Moebius Syndrome Challenge, to help your travels to the conference.(just a thought) Anyway, have a joyous day!!! :0) Annette

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing the masking techniques.. I want to try it out but I am unable to find the pens here in India. The ones I found are colorless and you can kind of peel them off..
    Hope you like my 'elements' tile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi again Laura. Your challeneg this week really got me going, especially the Amanda part of it, so I wrote a story for Chewie and Artoo. You can find it on my blog. Let me know if they like it. https://magratscraft.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/amandas-secrets-for-chewie-and-artoo/

    ReplyDelete
  16. My spelling in the story is better than on my post! Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was such a difficult challenge for me, thank goodness for friends in high places! Now that I'm done though, I can finally go and take a look at what everyone else did.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tricky Challenge! This was my first attempt at adding some color...not so pleased w/ the result. It kinda all went downhill when my son (Marshall - 5) found my micron 02 and decided to do some tangling himself. At that point I was almost done...no point starting over!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That wasn't easy, but this was my very first Challenge I took part in and it was great fun...I'm looking forward to the next one =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoyed working on this one this week! Just got finished this morning. Now off to visit some others' tangles!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!