Monday, April 27, 2015

Weekly Challenge #215

How was everyone's week?

Here are some Canadian Geese
It sure has been nice to be walking to and from school again, finally  Chewie was thrilled to see these geese in the pond near his elementary school.

cheese!
Artoo and i have enjoyed the fresh air and the bumpy wagon rides...we are so glad it's spring.  FINALLY....

BUT WAIT!!!

then this happened....

REALLY??
Saturday morning it started raining, which then turned into freezing rain, which by the afternoon had turned into full blown snow... which continued overnight.  leaving us with 30+ cm (12") of heavy wet snow everywhere.

so sad.
The snow was so heavy it snapped about 8 feet off the top of one of our trees.  :(

BUT, we decided to make the best of it, and after pancakes on Sunday morning we dressed up the family and went out to make this wicked awesome snowman.

My boys
 Saskatchewan doesn't often get primo snowball makin' snow.  it's often too dry and too cold for the snow to stick to itself.  By the time we got outside, it was already 2 degrees C (35.6F) so it was warm enough to play for a good long while.

Sitting in the SnowMan Throne
By suppertime, the snowman had already fallen over from melting.  Me and the boys are very ready for summer, so hopefully that's our last big snowfall.

Weekly Challenge #215: "Labyrinth"
I've been taking a year long course on Mandalas with the amazing Scottish beauty Julie Gibbons, this is my third year exploring the Great Round of Mandala with her.  And it just so happens that Stage Three (which corresponds with the month of March) involves labyrinths.  I've been thinking about tangling a labyrinth ever since.

I had wondered how well a labyrinth would translate into a Zentangle challenge, and then in my online travels i found a website which said:

A labyrinth is not a maze. Mazes are puzzles, designed to vex the mind, but labyrinths are contemplative designs, designed to focus the mind.  (source)

and i thought, that sounds much like tangling to me!  So i gave it a go.

Now.  I apologize in advance because this week's challenge does involve a bit more planning and careful thought than usual.  And in the end i found it to be very tricky, and i got quite frustrated at some parts because it wasn't "doing" what i wanted it to do.

and then, as i was shading my labyrinth, i was running my fingers along the graphite, along the path of the labyrinth, and i had my Ah-Ha moment.  There was my zen.  it was in 'walking' the labyrinth that i felt that soft focus i get when i'm in my tangling-zen-zone.

Here are a few sites to help you create your own labyrinth to use as a string.
how to draw a labyrinth
draw your own labyrinth 

Here's my tile:
Have a great week

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

20 comments:

  1. You really put us to work this week LOL! I do love being pushed a bit though. Fun! Love seeing those kids having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Laura, the manikin which tiptoed through my Labyrinth had lots of thanks and luck for you! What a nice challenge-idea! Sabrina from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I was doubting myself, but really ended up loving the idea. I might make my Mom one for Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great challenge this week, Laura. Not the easiest, but I liked it a lot. Your tile is very pretty and so are the photo's of the boys. Hope that was the last snow for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed drawing the labyrinth string which quite surprised me! I may have to find an excuse to do more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was great fun learning to draw a labyrinth!! Thanks for coming up with such enjoyable challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    I came across your website today from someone who posted about this weekly challenge blog on Facebook. I am not a CZT but would like to participate in this fun challenge. Please let me know if I can still participate.
    Thank you!
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anybody is wellcome to participate, you don't need to be a CZT. looking forward to see your tangle....

      Delete
    2. Thank you Akua for your response.

      Delete
  8. Just learning how to tangle. This is my fourth piece, thanks for the string inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. dear laura, real challenging this one, but great to learn something new. i studied diffrent labyrinths, and created one in my own way. all the best to you and your family, and that springtime wakes up also around you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much Laura for the challenging challenge. WOW! What a workout! Have a brilliant day! c

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Laura…this is SO perfect.
    My blog is called "An Artist's Labyrinth". They have been in my life for a long time and I am lucky to have my own labyrinth to walk in the north woods of WI where I spend summers. I just did week 17 of the Journal Challenge on Facebook and it was all about labyrinths! You many people get them confused with mazes!!! I hope I'll have some time to make one this week. Great challenge! Sorry about the snow but you sure made lemonade out of lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fascinating to learn about labyrinths...I am totally hooked. Love your snow sculptures but bet it was chilly on the backside!
    As always,
    Thank you! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures... loved the snowman :). I so enjoyed learning about labyrinths. Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was great fun and I learned something new. Thanks, Laura. Wishing you warm & sunny weather.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great to see a labyrinth post! I've clearly been lax in visiting lately. I've linked to my thetangledlabyrinth.com gallery, as I've been teaching and drawing labyrinths for a couple of years now, have since become a labyrinth facilitator and am (slowly) working on a book.
    This coming Saturday is Worldwide Labyrinth Day so go walk one near you! I'm leading a walk in Putney VT if anyone is nearby. ;-)
    So many connections…. it makes tangling even more of an inward journey!
    Blessings on the path,
    Sadelle Wiltshire CZT#7, Veriditas Trained Labyrinth Facilitator

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for this weeks challenge, Laura. And I think I´m not alone if I say it was a little bit difficult this time. ;)

    Greetings from Germany,
    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried many times this week to freehand my labyrinth onto my tile. The links you provided were great, but I couldn't seem to set up the starting cross in a good place on the tile. So, this evening I put together and quick and dirty template in Illustrator that can be traced onto official tiles, zendala tiles (which also fit the Strathmore artist tiles) or a full sheet of paper. While I haven't done my tile yet, I thought I'd get the template posted to my blog in case anyone else was struggling and wanted to complete a tile this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much, Laura, for this challenge. Like so many others, I found it definitely challenging to draw a labyrinth, but finally managed. I now have a notebook full of labyrinth ideas and learned so much about them. The tile I made is perfect for a finger labyrinth for me and it's almost as "zen-ful" as drawing it was! Thanks again for a wonderful challenge!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!