Monday, July 6, 2015

Weekly Challenge #225 GUEST BLOGGER: Jen Crutchfield CZT

Hey Friends! Thanks for joining us for this week’s challenge and thanks so much to Laura for sharing her space with us here for the summer. I hope you’re getting some well deserved rest and relaxation in without worrying about a weekly commitment for a while. 

I’m happy to meet all of you lovely Diva followers out there in blog land. I really love to visit all of the links when I’m able to complete the challenge myself. I’ve been drawing Zentangle art for about two years now and became a Certified Zentangle Teacher in June, 2014 (CZT14!). The thing I love most about drawing Zentangle art (at this moment, it changes constantly) is how I’m able to focus on drawing the patterns and let the final product just kind of appear. I rarely begin with an end in mind. 

So for my challenge today, I decided I needed to focus on color. I know Laura did this just a few weeks ago for Pride week but that’s ok. There will always be some of us out here who are sticking close to our black and white basics. As a matter of fact, if you take a look at my Instagram feed or my blog, you’ll see that black and white is my staple. In fact, I hardly ever use color. Since this is a challenge for me, I decided to make it my challenge for all of you, too.

Being a huge fan of the beauty of limits, I chose to limit myself to red, white, and blue for my colors, since this article was expected to post so close to Independence Day in the US. While using all of the colors of the rainbow is awesome, perhaps for your personal challenge, you could limit yourself to just 2-3 colors, and see what happens. Maybe two colors you don’t normally use, or two you don’t think will look great together, and see if you can let your drawing change your mind. 

Since I was using colors I wasn’t used to, I went back to the beginning with tangle patterns that I would teach in a beginning class. I wanted to use patterns that were very familiar to me in order to highlight the experience of the color and not focus too much on the difficulty of any pattern. 

I used micron pens, a white gel pen, and pastel pencils. I’ve never used pastel pencils on my tiles so that was an interesting experience, as well. I would say they’re not great for shading but more for highlighting particular areas. They also will smudge and smear, so be sure to seal your tile if necessary.


Thanks again to Laura for sharing her space and to all of you for following along so faithfully. This Zentangle family truly is a wonderful thing. If you’re interested you can find me on my blog, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.  I’m excited to see how you all do with colors this week. I’ll be sure to visit each and every link this week! Can’t wait to see! 






If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

29 comments:

  1. Great job, Jen! Love color challenges and your red, white and blue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the challenge. I came back after a long time of not tangling. Nice to see Laura has some guest bloggers to entertain us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen....I LOVE color in my Zentangles, however I will take up the challenge and use colors that I don't normally gravitate to, so thanks for stepping in for Laura, and I will take up the challenge. I've not participated for some time so this will be fun!
    Peace,
    Sue Olsen CZT10

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see you here, Jen, as a guest blogger. Fun challenge and great tile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen! Loved reading your post & seeing your tile! This will be a fun challenge -- I too am also a black and white gal myself! Thanks for the challenge! (Tile coming soon....)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course I will take part in this challenge, thanks for doing this for us. I love color, but my coloring normally sticks to the paper where I tangle on with a black pen. So, this is quite different. I wonder what I can and will make of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for a fun challenge! Great job guest posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun challenge. I've been playing with color for the last several weeks and this was another step along that path.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun challenge. I've been playing with color for the last several weeks and this was another step along that path.

    ReplyDelete
  10. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/survive-end-days-book-review-jenny-james

    ReplyDelete
  11. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/survive-end-days-book-review-jenny-james
    In practice, not years before you are gainfully employed in high-end hotels and restaurants if it is months. We need to eat every day, because there are more than inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fat-diminisher-system-pdf-review-meghan-g

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jen! Thanks for the fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm starting to love working with colour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Jen, for an interesting challenge. I, too, usually shy away from color. I was inspired by how different the before and after shading images look. Have a brilliant day! c

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Jen, for an interesting challenge. I, too, usually shy away from color. I was inspired by how different the before and after shading images look. Have a brilliant day! c

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Jen, for filling in for the Diva!!! It really is a challenge to use color, just color and no black. Was fun!! Have a great week! :0) Annette

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for a wonderful challenge. Totally had fun doing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for stepping up to be a guest blogger. Nice to see a fellow Indiana CZT participating and leading. I think most of us, unless we have some art background, shied away from color in the beginning. I do not use it a lot but am more comfortable after trying things over the last 3-4 years. Looking forward to seeing a lot great pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Jen. This was a fun challenge. I love to color with Pigma Micron Brown. Reckon it is living in northern Arizona where that color is everywhere that draws me to it. I also love to color with all the colors in whatever pen or pencil set I'm using today. Fortunately for all y'all, most of my sets only have 12 colors. So today it was very fun to use only four Pigma Micron colors rather than the rainbow. That's it from the token guy in the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops, I see I'm not the only token guy around. Yay!

      Delete
  21. Great challenge, Jen!! I find colored pencils will blend if I use a variety of different shades of the same color. Thank you!!

    ~ Diane Clancy
    http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2015/07/my-diva-jen-crutchfield-2-color-challenge-entry

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yess! I did it. But I think I´ll return to b/w immediately! Thank you for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great blog you have.... :D - It was pretty fun to make colours on for a change.. Thank you ever so much for sharing all this.
    Kind regards
    Mariane

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the challenge, Jen. For the first 18 months I was a traditional black and white tangler. During that time I became a CZT and STILL only worked black ink on white tiles. Then I went to an exhibit of CZT Mimi Lampert's work where she used colored pencils. I took a class in how to use colored pencils and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE adding color to my tiles. My CZT friends tease me because I was such a staunch traditionalist. (It is all done with love!) Even though I use color I do avoid using reds and pinks, so this is a great challenge for me. Again, thank you for the challenge.
    Sending smiles,
    Maureen Stott, CZT #13

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love using colored pencils, but don't normally use them on tiles. Had fun with this one. Thanks! Can't wait to check out everyone's work.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the fun challenge with color Jen. Couldn't stick with just 2 or 3 colors. When the Prismacolor Pencils come out I start reaching for multiple colors.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!