Monday, July 13, 2015

Weekly Challenge #226 GUEST BLOGGER Katie Crommett, CZT

The art of simplicity (or, “you are enough.”) 

It’s said that we will teach what we ourselves need to learn. With this in mind, I bring to you the topic of simplicity.

Simplifying life seems to be everywhere I look. Real Simple magazine. The "tiny house” movement. Oodles of Pinterest boards with organization tips. 

Yet with overflowing sources of inspiration to simplify, declutter and let go, I’m often faced with the feeling of lack. As I click through online tips for organization, I think “OMG, I need XYZ before I can truly live simply.”

In the end, the overarching feeling of being or having “enough” aches. “Simplification” becomes overwhelming. 

As in life, so on the tile

I sometimes find myself drawn to “overdoing” in creating my tiles. I want to fill every blank space. I cram intricate tangles into small spaces. 

Though I accept that part of this is my style in my Zentangle practice as well as my art, there’s a learning opportunity for me (and maybe some of you, too!). So my challenge this week is to play with the art of simplicity. 

Challenge: Simplicity

When you practice the art of simplicity, there is a consciousness to every moment. In the practice of Zentangle, there is an intention to every stroke. (Ah! See those similarities!)

Your first step is to breathe. Reconnect to the vital activity we do all day, keeping us alive, whether or not we’re aware of it. Place your hands on your paper or tile and take a minute or two with your eyes closed. (Really -- go ahead and close them. I'll still be here when you open them.)

Now that your eyes are open, I'm going to give you simple directions/tips for the challenge, but take this where you feel you want to go.

Keep your tangling space manageable. If you don't have an official Zentangle tile, you can cut a piece of paper into 3.5" x 3.5." 

Pick two or three tangles, at the maxium.

After you draw each tangle, be conscious of when you've reached your point of "enoughness."

White space is your friend. Or, even, it's more than a friend. 



And that's it. Simple.

Here's my tile:

Tipple, Flukes, Indy-Rella 

I can't wait to see your tiles. I'd love to hear how "enoughness" and simplicity sit with you in your life. 

Thank you, Laura, for the opportunity to contribute to your blog! Thank you, Zentangle community who I've "met" via the Diva blog. I've been nourished by your comments and feedback in the past. The community of Zentangle is such a gift. 


About Katie Crommett, CZT®



Into my practice of Zentangle, I bring in my experience in creative writing and expression, art and energy healing. I became a Certified Zentangle® teacher so I could share the benefits of a mindfulness practice, blended with creative expression. I live in Worcester, Massachusetts, with my husband and our two cats. I love the coasts of Maine and Cape Cod. Music and its harmony come naturally to me while singing. I find a renewed energy and love for life when in nature. Find me online at www.katieczt.com

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

54 comments:

  1. I like this challenge Katie, and can't wait to start drawing. Thank you, not only for this challenge but also for the word going with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! Looking forward to seeing your tile.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good, Katie!! With all the repair work here, I really *do* need simplicity!! :) I live in Greenfield - cool you are in Worcester!! ~ Diane Clancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a reminder I often need minute by minute! :) I love Greenfield and Western Mass!

      Delete
  3. Great prompt Katie. We need the simplicity! Greetings from fellow CZT 15.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! It felt really good to just let the white space be there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great challenge, and something I really needed! Love your tile, especially the movement implied with the "aura" under Flukes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Looking forward to seeing your tile.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful reminder to us all, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot about white space because I just went with the flow. But I really did like your idea to stop, slow down and enjoy the moment of tangling. Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's the most important part! :) Thanks Sarah!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for a great challenge and for guest blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Embracing simplicity is more complicated than it seems. ;-) But, I tried. Thanks for guest diva-ing for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally is! What a duality it is -- the difficulty of simplicity. :) Thanks for your contribution!

      Delete
  10. I know simple doesn't mean easy and I shouldn't have expected it to be a breeze, so why did it take me by surprise when I surfaced nearly an hour later with two tiles, one more satisfying than the other? Thanks Katie, it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Isn't that the way? Our minds love to try to over-complicate... Your tiles were simply lovely, as was your blog post.

      Delete
  11. Lovely challenge Katie!!! It brought back that silence at CZT Seminar, when everyone was in their Zen!! How how I loved that!!!! Even though I had jack hammers going outside and little ones needing this or that, I got in my Zen!!! Thank you, for the reminder! :0) Have a great week and thanks for filling in for the Diva!! :0) Annette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so wonderful to hear! Even in your memory recall of the silence of seminar, that sensation came back to me -- blissfully. :) Zen in the middle of jack hammers. :) Love it. It reminds me of a title of a book by Jack Kornfield called "After the Ecstasy, the Laundry."

      Delete
  12. Great exercise this week. It is do easy to just keep going and lose the beauty of simple things. Thanks so much for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly! I'm so appreciative of your words "...to just keep going and lose the beauty of simple things." Big YUP to that, my friend! :)

      Delete
  13. This couldn't have come at a better time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhX_mnD6eRI

    Online market places - eBay, Calligraphist and your own local ads. E Bay can be a great place to find deals on a great score. Halls that, in the case of my idea, watch for a week or two before you start bidding.

    ReplyDelete
  16. http://spiderprofitreview.tumblr.com/ The binary options trading is considered as the most popular form of trading and every passing day, thousands of novice traders are adding to the field. The terminologies used in this platform are quite few in number and very easy to understand for traders, such as underlying asset, call, put and expiration time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cannot resist this challenge. It is all I need. For the whole week! Thank you Katie Cromett"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the reminder. I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you very much for that wonderful challenge! I really loved to do that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much Katie for the simply delicious challenge #226 to keep it simple. As I stumbled into my "" Studio this morning kicking photography things I had to have, Origami things I had to have, Gelli Print things I had to have and all other sorts of stumbling blocks out of my way so I could sit in the peace and relative physical safety of my Zentangle place, I must have spent 15 minutes complicating the challenge by trying to think of what patterns I could tangle to keep it simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I should have also said that I got there - eventually.

      Delete
  21. Thanks so much for this. I needed it right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly! That's a common theme -- that this was much needed. :)

      Delete
  22. I loved this challenge! Keeping it simple...just getting back to the basics!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great challenge! Thank you very much for bringing it up, it was a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My first test attempting one of your challenges. New to Zentangle and hope I've "attempted" correctly lol 🐞

    ReplyDelete
  26. My first test attempting one of your challenges. New to Zentangle and hope I've "attempted" correctly lol 🐞

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for guest hosting this week's challenge, Katie! This is my first time participating in the diva challenge. I love the theme of simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great challenge. do not usually think about simplicity. I start and go until it feels finished. I have done a few minimalist tiles over the years but probably not many.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the challenge, Katie. I am already a fan of white space, and I really like using only a few tangles in a tile. This one meets the challenge, but I'm not entirely satisfied with it. So I may try a second one if I get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Simplicity. I need that. But it is hard to do it. I will go on trying. This challenge is one I really appreciate!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your challenge came at a perfect time. I was getting lost in a really busy drawing. Of course, I will still finish it! But this came along to give me a much needed break, and the realization that I like my simple stuff more!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The Art of Simplicity, I loved this challenge, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  33. I did ad a last tile, which I made sauturday 18th when I was on a little trip to Stockholm. with two tangles: Veniz and Laces. You find it in the same place as the two others! thank you once again Katie for a really nice challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Big big thanx! for this awesome post I need that. But it is hard to do it. I will go on trying. This challenge is one I really appreciate!

    good luck for you i am the diva! im a big fan

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!