Monday, August 3, 2015

Weekly Challenge #229 Guest Blogger Sandy Hunter, CZT

Weekly Challenge #229: "+/-"

I tend to make my tangles really busy. Sometimes I have to stop myself from tangling until my tile is more black than white, because all those little nooks and crannies are just so FUN to fill in! Every now and then, though, it’s refreshing to change it up (“Put the pen down and back away slowly!”) and leave some negative (white) space for the eye to rest. 

Shift your focus to the negative space, so the white part of your tile is the focus of your tangle. 


Ponder the possibilities… what will your string be?





Some random facts about me: 
- I’ve lived in north Texas for most of my life, 
- worked for years as a cookie decorator (which has influenced my tangling here and there),
- went to the Art Institute of Dallas for graphic design,
- attended CZT8 with my best friend less than a month after I first discovered Zentangle,
- I’m a zendala junkie (which may be related to my love of snowflakes… I love winter and everything that goes along with it!),
- recently became a Jamberry consultant. It happened pretty fast once I found out I could have the tiny details of my tangle art printed successfully on nail wraps AND get paid for it. :oD
- I’m a quilter... along with my mom, two of my closest friends, my sister-in-law and several of my nieces. Haven’t combined Zentangle and quilting yet, but I’m pretty sure it’s gonna happen eventually!



If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)


29 comments:

  1. Hello Sandy, what a great challenge. I loved it and, if I get time, I'm going to try it another way. I love your idea with the letter and I think a whole alphabet like that would look fabulous in a frame. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I echo what Margaret has said? Great idea - we know it works but as you say, it's sometimes hard to remember when the pen is in our hands. Thank you! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I enter a piece that I made for something else too, or does it need to be only for this challenge? *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great challenge Sandy! I too, have a tendency to fill every bit of space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's definitely more difficult than it seems it should be. Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's definitely more difficult than it seems it should be. Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's definitely more difficult than it seems it should be. Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A really nice challenge! It is strongly connected with my daily work as an artist (painter). I did choose between a more complex negative space and this quite simple rounding. I might try a more complex one later... I feel quite relaxed after doing this. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this wonderful challenge! I found it fascinating to focus on the white space :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. An excellent challenge and a great reminder to look at things in many different ways to find their beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a fun challenge!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn´t wait. I had to give it one more try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea for a challenge! I may have gone over board on the white space thought!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sandy-Great challenge. Thanks for the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the thought provoking challenge. Conceptually, everything we see and everything we draw uses both positive and negative space. Even a tangle that fills all the spaces of our strings. Every stroke of the pen creates a new positive/negative space. The most obvious example would be the use of a checkerboard pattern or traditional Knightsbridge or Twilight Zone pattern. -Debbie H

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sandy, this is a wonderful challenge!! I love your flower!! (Your P is nice too but I am really taken with your flower - I have looked at it again and again!!) Great you talk about negative and positive space and for us to think about it!! :) :)

    ~ Diane Clancy
    http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2015/08/my-diva-sandy-hunter-plus-minus-challenge

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did not turn out exactly like I planned but was fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. First time posting! So exciting hehe! Will prob do a second tile for this challenge....think more outside the box with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for a fun challenge, Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I messed it all up with my 2nd entry. But now I have corrected it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the great challenge Sandy. I too tend to fill. Also, when I deliberately create white space I tend to lean toward monotangles. But oh what fun to accept and enjoy your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fun challenge!!! My tiles tend to have a lot of negative space... so I challenged myself to fill in everything else!

    http://tanglemethis.blogspot.ca/2015/08/diva-challenge-negative-space.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have one more to show. The one I like best. Here it is: https://www.flickr.com/photos/anitawestin/20306365802/in/dateposted-public/

    ReplyDelete
  25. My first time posting, too! I love white space and loved this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome challenge! Love your tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ok, I commented wrong the first time but now the link is correct. What a fun challenge. Looking forward to next week.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just realized that I didn't comment. So, a bit late but here it is: I loved this challenge a lot and had so much pleasure (and zen time) drawing. Thank you so very much!!! I do live your tiles, especially the first one, GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sandy, thank you for the awesome challenge!! Open spaces are my favorite ways to create a tile. I enjoyed it so much I did two tiles. My computer was on a glitch so I didn't get a chance to post it on time. But I did want to thank you for filling in for the Diva! Have a great week! :0) Annette

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!