Monday, September 14, 2015

Weekly Challenge #235

Good Monday Morning everyone!

I hope you've all been having fun with last week's tangle.  Isn't it so fun?

Well the boys have both finished their first full week of school.  Chewie is loving being back with his friends every day.
He's so cool
I'm really loving walking to and from school with them each day.  I know that soon it will be winter and i'll be driving back and forth but for now I pull Artoo in the wagon and Chewie and I talk about Pokemon and Lego, and after school he tells me about his day and the funny things he did at recess.


What a big boy
 Artoo is only doing half-day kindergarten.  So we get to walk home at lunch time together.  I love these moments together, just us.  He tells me about playing Duck Duck Goose and going to the library and drawing with crayons.  Everything seems pretty awesome.

However, upon writing this week's challenge - Artoo is starting to get sick.  He's having a rough day.  He said he feels yucky and is extra cuddly.  So, send your good vibes our way.  Poor dude.

On the weekend, we had amazing weather.  Shorts and tank tops for everyone!

Cheese!

On Saturday the boys and I went to the Broadway Street Fair here in Saskatoon to see my friend Kathy's art booth.  I have been sharing a bit about Kathy's awesome project on Instagram (@iamthediva) and on my facebook page.  You can read all about Kathy's project on her blog 5000keys.com

Kathy and I
Some of you may know Kathy as the amazing lady who introduced me to Zentangle in the first place.

Chewie holding one of Kathy's gorgeous keys, imagining what kind of a door it opens....

The short story is: Kathy is on a mission to create 5000 beautifully sculpted keys using found and recycled materials.  I believe she's almost at 300.

 You can follow her progress on her blog and also on instagram (@5000keys) Tell her Laura sent you. ;)

(PS: Her keys are also available to purchase)

On Sunday Chewie went to a friend's for a playdate and since Artoo wasn't feeling so hot he was planted on the couch... i managed to tackle the new flower bed in my front yard.

I mentioned in my first post back that we've been busy fencing all summer, and it's so very true.  I don't even know how many feet of fence we tore down and rebuilt this year.  If B-rad had to guess, he says about 150' of fence.  yikes.  The last bit was this small fence in the front yard between our house and the neighbour's driveway.  We finished it all at the end of August, but i have been trying to find time (and weather) to dig out my new flower bed so i can hopefully do some fall transplanting before it gets cold and snowy.

So.  this is what i did:
before

after
I'm kind of nerding out over this flowerbed.  I'm not really sure what i'm doing, sorta just playing it by ear (which drives my PLAN/RESEARCH EVERYTHING husband kinda batty) but i think it's all gonna work out.  :D

Weekly Challenge #235: "String Theory: Stripes"

This week's challenge is to take your pencil and draw stripes across your tile or paper to create your string.   Simple as that.

I like doing this kind of tile every once in a while.  Sometimes, for me, i tend to do very similar strings all the time.

I started with stripes, and as i was tangling, i thought about doing criss-crossing stripes, a la Hollibough... and this was the result.

stripedy
I think it looks pretty neat.  And even after 5 years - i'm always amazed at how much shading cna make a difference in your tile.

Have fun with your stripey strings this week!!

Love Laura
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

21 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed that sick bugs don't settle… though back to school, it's almost a given. Love this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you help? I have not received a notification in my email that the Challenge has been posted the last two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG what beautiful photo's of the boys!!! (and of course of your flowerbed too). Hope Artoo will not really get ill. Your tile is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy those walks to and from school. Precious time with no interruptions where you can have real heart to hearts with the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really loved this challenge and I will use stripes as a string again! It was so much fun :-)
    I hope Artoo is okay!?
    Many greetings from germany,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder that simple strings can be just as beautiful and creative as more complicated ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your little guys are such cuties. Hope Artoo is back to full health soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks once again Laura for a wonderful and stimulating challenge. Sending well wishes to Artoo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura, thanks for a great challenge this week!!! I totally enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whow! I love stripes. My first try today. I guess it won´t be my last! This was so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can´t stop doing this. Laura I like your tile a lot. It is so inspirating!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was a fun challenge and probably saved my sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that I've finished I can't wait to see what everyone has done! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was my first challenge & I really enjoyed it. I think I tend to over-do, but I'm pretty proud of it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sorry for entering my name twice. This is my first post to the group and I am not very much familiar with Mr.Linky. I do not know (yet) how to delete it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like the stripes/stacked tiles. Glad I was able to have time to participate in this week's challenge after not doing so the last couple of weeks. Like to see the pictures. Your kids have it better than here when it comes to starting school. Some schools started here the first week of August.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My picture was done after an extremly long and stressful day. For a few days I had the picture already finished in my head, but - as so often - it didn't work that way. Anyway, I relaxed during the process, although not all lines appeared where they should.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always enjoy using stripes as a string; this was no exception. Hope Artoo and everyone at your house is well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just realized I didn't leave you message. I love your pics, and your flower bed area looks like so much fun!! I just love playing in the dirt!! Looks like you guys have nice soil there too!!
    I hope you all are feeling better and Artoo can only get more immuned to all the cooties that go around in schools.
    (((hugs))) Stay well,
    Annette :0)

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!