Monday, September 28, 2015

Weekly Challenge #237

Good Monday Morning everyone!!

Thank you for all your well wishes this week.  Artoo and I are both feeling much better.  Artoo was quite happy to go back to school this week and see all his friends.

HELLO!!
 We're far from PERFECTLY healthy, coughing colds always linger long with this one, but everyone is sleeping again, so that's a big perk.


one of these things is not like the other
The weather has been gorgeous, thankfully, and so we've been spending as much time outside as we can before the snow inevitably falls.
 Someone's been eating Grandpa's jam
Chewie made me this adorable Lego Garden.
B-rad has been working so hard at Casa Diva, trying to finish up the last of the projects.  He had some 'helpers' this weekend as he did some more work on the new tool shed. 

Artoo was so proud of his shed "thing" that he "made" out of some 2x4s and dad's drill (with help, obviously)
Handyman in the making.
Also, hilariously, Chewie is posing to look like he's having a very in depth discussion with his dad.
He's funny. 
It kinda feels like there's always another 'thing' to get done before winter... so much yard work.  But then, we did stop for a few minutes when Chewie discovered a colony of ladybugs.
so many ladybugs
In the spring when i was gearing up for my summer off, i put out a call to my fellow CZTs to guest my blog.  We all remember how fantastic the summer of guest posts were!

To my surprise, many people offered up their services, more people than i had weeks to fill.  I felt bad turning these generous souls away - So, i thought maybe we'd be able to do one guest post a month!

today we're going to have the first such guest post from Charlotte Carpentier, who was super lovely and patient when my computer decided to be annoying, and resent her post. (Thank you thank you!)  

So without further ado:

Weekly Challenge #237: "Guest Post - Charlotte Carpentier, CZT"

So…here I am. This is my first time being a guest blogger for our darling Diva, and I am really excited!

I am Charlotte Carpentier, CZT, from CharKat’s Creative Insanity, in Temecula, California. And I like to paint/dye/color/spray my strings!

What the heck? you ask…well, here is the skinny on it. I am a bit…stringaphobic. I tend to feel a little confined at times, so having a hint, even lightly, of something provides enough string and interest for me most of the time.


(Before and after, Morrocan Tile Stencil, water crayons)
Lately, my go to has been some hibiscus tea (brewed, of course) in a spray bottle, and a stencil. I like stencils from The Crafter’s Workshop, because they tend to look a bit tangle-y to me, but any old thing will do. You can even cut paper (remember the snowflakes you used to make as a kid?) You can dab or sponge through the stencil if you don’t have a spray bottle, and I find espresso and wine also work very well (whatever you have on hand! And then, you tangle. Sometimes simple is great, and very mindful.

(Various sprays I have on hand, including hibiscus tea in the Tombow Blending Mister, and an empty spray bottle from the “Good Night Kit” from Crowne Plaza hotels.)
(Stencil assortment)

(Dyed tiles, clockwise from the stars, hibiscus tea and gold pearl mist, walnut distressing spray, hibiscus tea on cold press water color paper, and on hot press water color paper and espresso on Renaissance Tan Zendala.)

So, this is my proposal to you. Find something to use for a stencil, gather your dye and spray, sponge, Q-Tip, etc. and make yourself a string. Revel in the discovery that different natural dyes, like wine or hibiscus tea, will look different on different papers. Then tangle them. You can even stay inside the lines if you like or go completely outside!





I am Charlotte Carpentier, CZT. I am an eclectic person of many talents. Over the course of my life, I have explored a variety of cultures and careers, but all of them have had one thing in common. They all center around people and improving their lives, whether it is through art therapy, stress management, delivering instruction, or emerging technologies, it is all about the people.

I am a graduate of California State University - San Marcos, with a Bachelor's Degree in Kinesiology. I am also a graduate of Southern Illinois University at Carbondale, with a Bachelor's Degree in Vocational Education Studies. I have completed Graduate Studies in both Project Management and Public Health.

I am a Veteran of the United States Army (retired.) I served during Both the first Gulf War and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I am also a Certified Zentangle Teacher. I specialize in teaching Zentangle in individual and group settings, with an emphasis on the mindful state of meditation.

I am currently the proprietor of CharKat’s Creative Insanity, in Temecula, California, where I offer a variety of instruction on Zentangle, Zentangle Inspired Art, and whatever else seems to peak my curiosity at the time. 

Make Stuff…You Will Feel Better.

Thanks Charlotte!!!
Have fun everyone and have a great week.
Love Laura

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

16 comments:

  1. I like this challenge and will try to work on it tonight (it's 14.15 pm now). Thanks Laura and Charlotte!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte, this is a great challenge. Unfortunately, I read too fast and didn't catch to use a stencil as the string. I used it as a template! But I am still using it. Thanks for the challenge and I look forward to seeing what everyone does with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. I think I might have not followed the directions either, but I like the result---so it's all good. Thanks for guest diva-ing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one was really got me thinking in different ways. Thanks for keeping me learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this is the first time I've posted totally unsuccessful responses to the Challenge but I will, as a big man once said, be back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know about this one, but I gave it the old college try! Maybe I'll look into this stenciling thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, for reasons I don't quite follow, you have an odd comment attached - some sort of SPAM?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Charlotte for this challenge! I have been wanting to use a stencil for quite some time but haven't pushed myself for the challenge! So thank you!!
    Laura, I love your pics! Have a great week! :0) Annette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this week's challenge. This entry sends you to the correct page on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For the first time my outcome is not the way I wanted it, but here it is and I will try once more and use the stencils instead. I didn´t have the time yesterday and not today either..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I gave it one more chance. I didn´t use stencil the first trials. But that didn´t work too well. Now I used "cakepaper" as stencil. I couldn´t just leave it and this time I am satisfied. I used wine this time too, since I liked the color I got from that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry but I need to remove my link from this list because of problems with my hosting. I'm just so upset now - they closed my blog with all the challenges I've participated without any reason. Now I'm trying to move it to another place but actually don't know if i succeed in it. Unfortunately I can't remove my link myself - it sais that i don't have a cookie....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for the great challenge! This one was waaaayyy out of my comfort zone. I don't use stencils so it was fun scavenging for something and just figuring the whole thing out. I love the way it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder how many of us looked up Kinesiology?? I have never heard of it before. Quite fascinating. AND it is a great weekly challenge and I LOVE love using stencils as I am also a gelli print fanatic! And I am learning to cut my own stencils.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a great time with this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great alternative to coming up with a string out of the blue each time. I've got lots of stencils. Enjoyed the challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!