Monday, November 9, 2015

Weekly Challenge #243

Good Monday morning everyone!

I hope you all had a great week.

Short and sweet this week.  not too much to report!
We started the week off with a bang, it was my day to be helper mom in Artoo's kindergarten class.  That was very fun.

But by Tuesday morning, he was sick.  He got progressively worse over the course of the day, and in the end i took him to the hospital. just to get checked out properly to make sure it wasn't turning into anything nasty.  his lungs sounded clear so they gave us some meds and sent us home.  But, as with anytime he is sick, it's a lot of rough nights and hard days.  Everyone is tired.

It was so frustrating because he was literally sick less than two weeks ago.  I keep hearing that by grade three it should get better, but - that's still so far away.  sigh.

Even this guys' not in grade three yet and i feel like he's already a million years old...
this guy cracks me up
 The weather all week was kind of yucky - rainy and cold.  Better than snow, i suppose, but still not all that great.  So when the weekend was sunny and around 8 degrees, we took advantage and finished up the last of the yardwork; like mowing the lawns, raking up the leaves, and cleaning out the gutter and putting all the things into storage.  So.  Not exactly the most exciting of weekends, but it feels good to be done.

Look at this cuteness.
 Saturday was the one year anniversary of Artoo's corrective eye surgery.  the two photos on the top were taken a year ago in pre-op, and the bottom two were taken on saturday.  It's so incredible to me, the difference it's made.

Weekly Challenge #243: "Just a tiny taste"

If you're like me, you tend to tangle everywhere and fill up all the space available when working on a tile.

We've done challenges in the past where we try to explore leaving a bit of white space, and those have always been great.  So, when i went into this challenge, i really honestly expected it to be a piece of cake.  So much so, that i thought i'd just 'whip up' 4 kinds of tiles.

yeah.

So, this challenge was actually really very challenging for me.

The challenge is to INTENTIONALLY LEAVE THE MAJORITY OF YOUR TILE EMPTY.... giving the tile just a tiny taste of tangle.

My first attempt
As i said, in the beginning i thought this would be a cake walk, so i brought a bunch of tiles to work on.  As it turns out, it was very hard for me not to branch out into everywhere with this.  And i don't particularly like it, but as you know my policy is to always post my submissions.  Even when i think they are terrible.  I did enjoy playing with the black on soapstone technique though.

Attempt number 2
 This one is my favourite, and i simply traced the outline of a bijou tile and tangled inside.  It's not particularly full of creative genious, but i do find it aesthetically pleasing.

attempt number 3
 I saw a gorgeous renaissance tile done in pink on the CZT facebook group, by CZT Marieke in the Netherlands, so i've been trying that a bit here and there.  Yeah, i really am not a fan of this one.  at all. .....so let's move on.
attempt #4
my last tile was the bijou tile i had used to trace in attempt #2.  And, even thought it is so simple, i kinda quite like this one.

So.  For this challenge, i'd say try to leave over have of the tile blank... like 60-70%

it's harder than it looks, at least - it was for me.

good luck!!
If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

26 comments:

  1. Poor Artoo, being sick again. Wish him a speedy recovery and spoil him with a lot of stuff 🍩.
    I do like your creations and, to be honest, I don't think this challenge will be really difficult for me. But .... let's wait and see. Thank you Laura, for another great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less is more....really counts for this challenge !
    A great challenge, and you made beautiful tiles for it Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very sorry Artoo is sick again ... healing thoughts to you all!! I love your first one particularly!! I too think I shouldn't have too hard a time but we shall see :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing, the difference in the photos of Artoo. Poor baby, being sick and poor everybody filled with exhaustion. Hope he's back on his feet smiling soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me so happy to see the change for Artoo. Such beautiful boys you have. I was inspired by the use of different colors on the tan tile. Thanks for giving us such motivation :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right, Laura, it's not that easy. I just kept wanting to add more. I really like your white on black one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Artoo - Get well soon!
    Thank you Laura, for this challenge. Your tiles are so beautiful. My favorite is #2.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great challenge. I like your black zendala tile with the white-shining aura.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kids are adorable.. Hope Artoo gets better soon..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something went wrong! No. 17 should not be there! Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the white on black. You've managed to make it look spherical!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's amazing how you keep running these challenges with all that to cope with. Thank you so much. Also thanks for the just a touch challenge, it is perfect for me and got me started on Christmas stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura, love your tiles, that is a lot of inspiration. So sorry Artoo is catching all the germs at school. Hope you are able to get some rest. Heartfelt thoughts and prayers winging your way. I would reach through and give you a hug, but you seem to have a good support system.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved this challenge! It was just what I needed today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Artoo is lookin' good! May your entire family be healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That really was a whole lot harder than you'd think! Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is fun! I really love that you publish your tiles, even if you are not satisfied! It is such an inspiration to follow your efforts! It is NOT perfection that counts! Thank you for a great challenge. I need this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Most tanglers have never seen a blank space they didn't want to tangle. This is a tough one. Hope everyone in the Harms' household feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you all feel well and strong soon! Thank you for this challenge, and for your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Laura, I wish you that Artoo is getting well soon!
    Your Challenge is amazing, thank you for all the efforts every week! I try not to miss any of them!
    Attached I have a post from my Blog related to Challenge #241- may be you could forward it to Paula Bramante? She has inspired me to this little adventure:
    http://simtangle.blogspot.de/2015/11/eine-frage-der-perspektive-matter-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you, Laura for all you do for us tangly people! I kind of created a freebie on my blog from this, I'd like you and everyone else to have it! Hope the family gets a good case of wellness soon. Have a brilliant day! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope the wee lad is feeling better. It's so hard when the kiddos are sick!

    This was a challenging challenge! I posted one attempt but I definitely want to try again...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Laura, for such a fun challenge! I love open space, so this was very enjoyable for me!! I think my favorite of yours is the black zendala tile. I must try that! It is beautiful!!! Have a great weekend! :0) Annette

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is my first time leaving a comment, and I seemed to have lost it. Well, I'll try again. I finally got a Diva Challenge completed in a timely manner and have it up on my Flicker account. So this is my first contribution.

    I'm not sure how this "select profile" works. I don't seem to be part of any of it - may Google? I'll try again.

    Melena

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!