Monday, November 16, 2015

Weekly Challenge #244

Good Monday morning everyone!

It's hard to believe that November is already half over.  We've been enjoying above normal temperatures here in Saskatoon.  The boys had a very long weekend and have been off school since Wednesday.  (Thankfully they are both back in school this morning)

During the time off, Chewie started to read my copy of Art Before Breakfast by Danny Gregory,  and got inspired to do some drawing.

So, we sat down one evening and we drew contour portraits.  I drew him, and he drew me.

happily drawing
 Contour drawings are so great because you get an automatic pass on making it 'look good' and Chewie couldn't help giggling the entire time.

the finished piece
i look fantastic.

Sunday's weather was just beautiful, (for november) a sunny 6C (42.8F) so we took in the Santa Claus Parade for the first time ever.  Remember: thanksgiving is in October in Canada.

The parade was long and the boys waffled between being bored and excited.  but at least the company was excellent, and they got to sit beside their friends.
The crew

Chillin' with artoo
 Chewie and his buddy are very into Pokemon and were delighted to see that they were wearing matching toques. (pronounced two-k, otherwise known as...what do you call them in the states?  Woolen hats? Beanies?)
Which Pikachu is MY Pikachu?
 The kids were upset because people kept standing in front of us, (I was too) and so we maneuvered our way to the front, just in time to see the big man himself.  Welcome, Santa!
ho-ho-ho
I'm glad we went, because the weather was so nice.  I honestly couldn't imagine standing outside all day in snowy cold weather - but i am a bit of a princess when it comes to being cold....

and i know that Winter is Coming....

hold me.

Weekly Challenge #244: "Tripoli Triptastic"
One of my most favourite tangles is Tripoli.  It's my Mac N' Cheese, my go-to... it's what i do when i don't know what else to do.  It surprises me that i haven't had a Tripoli challenge since it was released back in 2011.
tripoli triptastic!

Here are the step-outs from Zentangle HQ.

This is a tangle that some people find difficult.  So here are a few of my insights.  Maybe they will help you, maybe they won't.

when i do Tripoli (and also the tangle Quandry) I want to make sure that the spaces between my triangles are the same.  The consistent spacing really helps in this one. I also think that many people get hung up on making sure all the triangles are perfect equilateral triangles.

It's like i always say:

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. 

Okay, well, maybe that wasn't me.... maybe that was Salvador Dali, but i stand by it.

besides, tripoli is much more fun when you allow your triangles to do their own THANNNGGG.


is this helping?
and here's another:
Another Pink on Renaissance tile.... still trying to master it

Have a great week!!

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

23 comments:

  1. Laura your first tile is wonderful but the second one knocked my socks off it is so gorgeous! Thanks for the challenge.....and I love, as always the sharing of your life. What a budding artist you have in Chewie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "tripol" posting was inspiring and I went back to Rick and Maria`s 2011 posting to get all the steps. I love it and will use it often, I am sure! My friend Jo-Ann Strong showed me a different way to make a 6-pointed star that comes out similar to tripoli and I can post it for you if you like and if you tell me where I can do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Laura, for choosing a personal favorite/occasional nemesis! Peace to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent tips for drawing Tripoli, Laura. Thanks, this is one that gets away from me and I appreciate seeing how to s-t-r-e-t-c-h- it out a bit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Laura, for another wonderful challenge and for your drawing tips! Your "Pink on Renaissance tile" is my favorite today. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used pink in mine too- it was red but I sprayed it with water and it diluted the ink. But it's great inspiration to see how you used color so intensely. Very fun challenge! Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good challenge. I think this tangle and I have finally declared a truce!
    I remember drawing with my kids at that age. I picked up a copy of "Drawing With Children" since my drawing skills were marginal at the time and they took to it like fish to water!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its good to see you and your family had a nice time. Thanks for the challenge. I would have never used Tripli as a primary tangle ever otherwise.. Now I feel its not that bad..

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you had such good weather for your fun family day. Thanks for the great challenge and the tip to keep the spaces even helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this one! Tripoli is a favorite/go to tangle of mine, too. I find that it versatile enough to be a talented lead, or a colorful peanut gallery in my tangles. I'm so glad you do these weeklies, they are nice to pull me back into tangling when I get overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't go to Tripoli very often, but for some reason, this past weekend, I did. Great minds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Laura, for the challenge and the beautiful pink on Renaissance tile. And thanks too for the "Art Before Breakfast" book tip. I love those little books like that and "Steal Like an Artist" and "Show Your Work" by Austin Kleon.

    I see I'm not the only one who is challenged by Tripoli. I'm very happy to have taken another shot at it. As long as I can let it go organic and wonky, I'm good. Otherwise, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tiles are gorgeous! Thank you for the Tripoli tips - I definitely need more practice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tripoli is one of my favourites! Thank you for the challenge and for your great tiles! I might do some more this week1 :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My name is Priscilla and that is why I deleted first post. This is my first time posting for challenge. Not sure if I did it correctly. Still learning about tangling. Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not ready for Christmas!! But great for excited children. Glad your boys are feeling better. Love Tripoli and absolutely agree with your clear explanation on how to make it work. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not ready for Christmas!! But great for excited children. Glad your boys are feeling better. Love Tripoli and absolutely agree with your clear explanation on how to make it work. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like Tripoli as well. Could not pass this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My first Diva challenge - and not my last! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't really used Tripoli before. My first tries didn't come out very well - the spacing was my real challenge. But, like life, if you keep trying it eventually works. Thank you for the challenge using this tangle. I actually had fun with it. I'll use it more now and I'm sure it will get better each time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've always admired other artists work with Tripoli, however I could never get the hang of it..... until now!! Great challenge Laura! Tripoli has become my new favourite tangle. I love all the variations for "filling" the triangles! And I love that you and your family are able to enjoy our great Canadian sunny fall weather, despite the mild temperature! :))

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Tripoli, though I'm not very good at it. In the uk we pronounce 'toque' as 'toke ', to rhyme with 'joke'.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!