Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Weekly Challenge #255

Hello and Happy Tuesday!!

Yesterday was Family Day here in Saskatchewan. Many of you may remember that challenge posts fall on Tuesdays when a Holiday is on a Monday.  I posted a quick reminder on facebook, but i never did get around to posting a reminder here... and i'll tell you why...

The boys had a very fun week at school getting ready for their Valentine's Day celebrations.  They made crafts, they played games, read stories, and sang songs about Love.

Thursday night, as is tradition, my boys joined me in my studio to make their valentines for the kids in their classes

A budding artist
 Artoo was very excited to be participating in Valentine's Day this year - having seen Chewie's experiences from Kindergarten and Grade 2.  He really had fun making his cards.

Chewie made himself right at home.  He's old hat at this now.
 The boys created their masterpieces, then i cut them in to small cards and they finished decorating with stamps.  I didn't get a finished photo, unfortunately.  Artoo chose dinosaur stamps on his (Naturally) and Chewie chose an assortment of fancy hearts and Owls.

both boys were pumped to go to school the next morning.

However, Artoo woke up sick.  Everything happens so fast with him.  but he really wanted to go to his celebration, so i took him to school and stayed in his class to monitor his breathing and to make sure he sat out activities when he looked really tired.

Happy Valentine's Day
He did okay, but by Friday night he was full on sick and woke up in the night many times.  By Saturday night he was coughing so hard and having such a hard time breathing that B-rad took him to the Emergency Room to be checked out around midnight.   They gave him some medicine there to help him feel better and send them home around 2-3 am.   As i told a friend this morning when she asked if he was feeling better: "Well, he's not in the hospital.  But that doesn't necessarily mean he's feeling better.  But, better than before, yes."

you'd never know this boy was sick just by looking at that face
Artoo is plum tuckered.  And the weekend was hard - for him and for all of us.

this boy never naps.
 so.  Valentine's Day was super chill... artoo was sick, B-rad was sick, now i'm getting sick...
because why not?
and on top of all of this (!!) Tuesday is Chewie's tonsillectomy.  Because apparently things need to happen all at once.  BLEH.  It's Winter Break here - so both boys are off school this week - but Chewie will be at home from school for the next two weeks, recovering from surgery. 

sigh.

Weekly Challenge #255: "Ghosts of Tangles Past"
This week i came across some photos of a few tiles i had created six years ago.  It was a definite blast from the past.

Six years ago, i was NOT the zentangle diva.  Six years ago i wasn't even a CZT yet.

Six years ago, i found an art form and fell in love with it and fell so passionately about it that i flew from Saskatoon to Whitinsvills, MASS to become a Certified Zentangle Teacher.

Six years ago, i tangled like this:
2010 
It's funny because i remember making this tile and really loving it.  So much so that i used it in my early advertising for classes and workshops.  I believe i sent it to a friend of mine in Regina as a gift.

I remember where i was and what i was doing.  I'm, like, 99% sure that i made this at work.

So, zoom back to the present - i decided to try to recreate the tile and see what came of it.  I used the same string, and the same tangles: Cadent, flux, and keeko.

here's the result
2016
Here they are side by side

It's really cool to see such a growth in my tangling style!
I invite you to go back into your own archives and recreate a tile from your past with your present style.

If you're new to tangling and have only been doing it for a few months, i'd bet that even still your tiles will show some growth!! Give it a go and see how far you've come. 

Thanks for coming by this week! I really appreciate all of you.
Have a great week, and have fun.

Love Laura


If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

21 comments:

  1. The boys look so cute in their art aprons. So sorry that it all went downhill after that. It is so good of you to bother with the challenge when you have all that going on. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sometimes everything happens at the same time, good or bad. I do hope all of you will recover soon and for Chewie that he will not feel too bad.
    Thanks for this challenge, I LOVE it!k

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun challenge. I love your story and your progress in tangling. I can't wait to get started. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an enlightening challenge. I pulled out lots of old stuff and was amazed at how much I didn't really know about Zentangle until I went for my training. I hope everyone gets well quickly and that spring is not far away for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your boys are amazing guys. Thank you for giving them the gift of art. I know it meant a lot to me as I was growing up and could retreat and relax by doing something artistic while battling my chronic issues as a child, teenager and adult. Your boys are so fortunate and blessed! Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really interesting and exciting challenge. I love it and I was so surprised about the result and how my tangling style changed in only two years.

    Hope you and your family get well soon.

    Greetings from Germany
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope both your boys get well soon. I've had great fun looking through old notebooks and tiles full of tangles. New tile coming up soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope both your boys get well soon. I've had great fun looking through old notebooks and tiles full of tangles. New tile coming up soon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great challenge! Thank you for all you do here;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a really thought provoking challenge. I can't quite decide if my style has changed or not although I know my confidence has!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sent me on a pleasant journey to when I started to Tangle. It was encouraging to see how far my drawing has come since then. I'm sure many other Tanglers will feel the same about their own Zentangle experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This challenge was something else! It was provoking to get back to when it started. And wonderful to experience the improvment. I was a little bit chocked thoug! When I saw one of my first zentangles, I did work by the book, I made dots in the corners, I started with a string and so on. But the focus? The "one stroke at a time"? The breathing? Of course there is an improvement technically but that´s not the important thing. What matters is that I can feel and see a personal development! It is all there! And that makes me so happy! Thank you Laura for this exciting challenge! I am really grateful for this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. a good Challenge, which i very much enjoyed, as I found myself travelling back and saw how my enthisiasm was first kindled.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for that challenge it was very inspiring for me and let me see a growth more in my mind than in my style - a very interesting experience for me! I hope your boys get well soon. I really appreciate and love your challenges. Thank you for your effort even though there is happing so much in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the very interesting challenge. I hope you're all feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was good to see the differences and challenge myself.I am learning so much from these challenges thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I -loved- this challenge- so enlightening! I've been tangling now for just about a year and I was surprised and pleased to see just how dramatically my drawing style has evolved in a year. Thank you for the inspiration and the community to share it with!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope everyone is feeling better! This was a fun challenge--I am grateful that I saved my early tiles and can see the journey a bit more clearly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was such a cool challenge to do. I didn't even realize that the tile I chose to recreate was a previous Diva Challenge (#104 from 2013). Love seeing the kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. First of all, I hope that you are all getting to feel much better. It's not much fun when the kids are sick and mom and dad are too. Healing hugs to you all! Loved this challenge! I really didn't want to even look at my old tiles because I knew so little about Zentangle then, but it has been an eye opener to see how much I have learned. I loved looking at all of the submissions and seeing the journeys that everyone has taken. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!