Monday, March 7, 2016

Weekly Challenge #258

Good Morning everyone!!

Thanks for the bit of leeway with the challenge today - i was exhausted and a little overly ambitious thinking i could get the challenge done last week.

As i mentioned in the previous post - i have been in Ottawa, Ontario for the past few days.  I was volunteering for the Canadian Lung Associations Patient Engagement workshop - and lucky for me i got to do some sight seeing with my good friend Tara, who was also part of the workshop!

We arrived on Thursday afternoon and took in the sights of the National Art Gallery of Canada.  We had three hours and assumed we lots of time - we barely made it through one floor.  Conversation was minimal - It was just a lot of me saying: "Look at this!" "Oh my gosh, look at that." "Look at those brush strokes!" "Look at these robes!" "Their mastery of light was amazing!!" or variations on that theme...for three hours.  Luckily Tara is a good person to go to a gallery with and she was exclaiming things on her own!

Monet
admiring the beautifulness

amazing

On Friday we tourned the Royal Canadian Mint and learned all about the process of minting coins.  We were not allowed to take photographs inside the mint - but we were allowed to photograph, pick up and hold a gold bar.  This gold bar weighs 28lbs and is worth over $560,000.



No pictured is the very handsome guard with the taser and the sidearm
who's job it is to stand beside this gold bar all day.
He's not pictured because he's actually taking our picture for us.
Yay Canada!
The workshop we attended was very interesting and we met some amazing people from around the country.  and on Sunday morning before we left we did a tour of the Parliament Building

The view of the Parliament building from the Rideau Canal

inside the Library
The view of Quebec across the river, from the Peace Tower

In the War Memorial there are these enormous books where the names of the fallen Canadian Soldiers are kept



Overall it was a fascinating and amazing trip on so many levels.  And really fun too!! But i am bery glad to be back home with my family!!

Weekly Challenge #258: "UMT Rautyflex - by Kathrin Bendel CZT"
This month's Use My Tangle challenge is brought to you courtesy of Kathrin Bendel, a CZT from Germany.
She had posted her tangle on facebook and i immediately wanted to try it - but sometimes i don't get a chance to try new tangles until i make them the monthly challenge.  SO.  You can see the step outs for Rautyflex on Kathrin's website here.

It's definitely what you'd call a High Focus tangle, because you need to pay attention to the steps a bit more carefully than some tangles.  But it is very neat, and there is lots of room for tangleation.

here's my tile:

I tried rautyflex in two sections of my tile - the first section i used the straight lines - but in the second section i curved my lines to make a wavy grid.  It was certainly more tricky to create this tangle properly on the curved lines.  Not impossible, but it added an even larger degree of focus.

have fun with this tangle!

If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for a fun challenge this week. Great to be back after missing out on ten weeks!.

    P.S. Oops, I realised I somehow posted my link twice. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, such beautiful photo's; thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haven't taken the challenge in a while, missed it!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos - glad you had such fun. You make Canada look very inviting....;-) Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learn a lot doing the challenges each week. I also enjoy reading about life on the other side of the planet. I cannot imagine living with months of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for another great challenge. I really enjoyed this tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for another great challenge. I really enjoyed this tangle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for a great challenge this week. This tangle was beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that was a tough one! Thank you for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thisone was tough! But I made it at last. When I had got the tangle together, Mooka and Tipple joined and made the zen come through! A great challenge, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's my first challenge here and I'm pretty new at Zentangle but I loved the challenge. It was a hard one too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. After all the comments about how difficult this tangle is I didn't even want to try it. But I finally drew it in my sketchbook and found it to be not bad at all. I'm glad I did it. Not sure I like how it turned out, but it's okay. I'm always amazed at how one person will have a hard time with a pattern and another person will find that same pattern easy. This one wasn't really easy, but I didn't have a hard time with it either. I'll do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you had such a good time sightseeing and at the workshop. You need some "Me time" now and then.

    This challenge was a toughie, but I finally got it. thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made one more of Rautyflex after I had practiced it a little more in my sketchbook and on Bijou. I am glad I didn´t give it up. This last one came out more satisfying and I had fun doing it! It is still a complex pattern, but it has a lot of potential in it as a tanglepattern!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!