Monday, March 28, 2016

Weekly Challenge #261

Happy Monday!

I've been loving your tiles for last week's challenge!! Shattuck is a great tangle.

This week started off pretty great.  One night i was sitting at the kitchen table tangling another Shattuck Tile:

 When Chewie asked me:
"Mom, what's your favourite thing about Zentangle?"

I looked up from my tile, and i thought about it, and then said; "The way it makes me feel."  He nodded, and then i asked "Do you want to try it?"

and what happened next was probably the best Zentangle class EVER in my CZT career - to my two sweet boys.

Chewie really enjoyed it, and when he learned what we were doing Artoo came running up and asked: "Can i make a zentangle too, mom?" 

So.  Precious. 

From there on out - the week was a total roller coaster ride of suck.  Artoo seemed to have a bit of a sniffle Wednesday at school - and by early Thursday Morning we found ourselves in the Emergency Room.  
Poor little guy was having a very difficult time breathing - and so we took him to the hospital "To get some medicine" 
cutest kid in the whole ER. 
and he was fine being at the hospital until around lunch time, and then he started to realize that we weren't going home anytime soon.... and then he got really sad, and started to cry and say he wanted to go home.  Oh man, break my heart.  

He ended up being admitted and put on Oxygen overnight.  It was very very sad, he was so unhappy. 

But he did cheer up a bit when B-rad and Chewie came to visit.  We sent each other some snapcats - and Chewie did a hilarious face swap with his SHIRT!

We laughed so hard at this.
After Dad and Big Bro went home it was just Artoo and me.  He was really very sad about having to have tape on his hand and thumb to hold is Sat Monitor on, so i asked his nurse if he could have some of the same tape to put on MY thumb and hand so we could be the same.

Only the extra awesome kids get the glowing E.T. thumbs though. 
 The following day he was much happier, and was SOOOO ready to go home, and told every nurse and doctor and cleaning staff who came into his room that he HAD to go home today because tomorrow was pancake day.
Just let me make this important phone call...
"Hello, Prime Minister Trudeau? I have to go home today.  Tomorrow is pancake day."
Look who's eating pancakes.

NEVER EVER miss a pancake day. 
Easter was touch and go - we were supposed to have my family over for Easter Dinner on Saturday, but had to cancel because of everything.  So mom hosted at her house and we popped over for supper and then took the little one back home to bed. 

Both boys were very excited Sunday morning, because dear Mr. Easter Bunny did IN FACT make it to our place!  

I found a green egg! Green is my favourite colour!
Chewie moved so fast, all the photos i took of him are just a giant blur.  

Gotta Catch 'Em All. 
We did manage to get out to B-rad's Family's for a bit of Sunday Supper, but again, i took the little one home early so we could get him to bed.  He's home from the hospital, but he's still not 100%.  So we have to still be careful to make sure we don't go back to the ER.

So, yeah, it's been a crazy week.  Crazy.  But it's over.  and Here's to a brand new day and a brand new week and and brand new challenge!! Luckily, for me, i had already had a wonderful guest blogger prepared for this week, so enjoy this week's challenge!

Weekly Challenge #261: Guest Blogger: Jane Reiter, CZT - Stacked Bijou Challenge

I began with a Bijou tile as a centerpiece to stacked tiles—my tangling inspiration comes from Sandy Steen Bartholomew’s online book, Tangles of Santa Fe (Inspiration Sketchbook #2).  


I use mat board scraps frequently for tangling---collected from a friend’s framing business. At least in Michigan, mat board cannot be recycled so there are always lots of scrap pieces available for art making.  

[ Laura here: If you don't have access to a bijou tile, they are 2x2" square :) ]

To begin, I cut five squares of mat board, in successive sizes to correspond to my Bijou tile:  3”, 4” 5”, 6”, and 7” squares.  You can easily substitute card stock, recycled cardboard, watercolour, colour paper or Bristol board in place of the mat board.  I drew my designs with a black Micron 03 0.35mm pen.  This challenge is perfect for border tangles, such as “ESS”, “Arrow”, “Angled”, “Sun Parts”, and “Diamond.”  I used the “Cross Glyph” for my Bijou tile centerpiece. 


 After tangling, glue the stacked tiles together with a glue stick (not the disappearing purple type) or paper glue such as Scotch Scrapbooker Glue.





I also include images of two other stacked Bijou examples; the turtle stack includes gold and I used a Sakura gold metallic jelly roll pen.  The turtle stack uses the patterns “Bead”, “Crescent”, “Arches Boarder”, and “Sun Parts.”  






The nicho stack includes white and I used an Elmer’s white painters pen with an ultra-fine size tip.  This stack uses my tangleations along with “Squiggle” and “Little One.”






I am an artist and teacher in Delta Township, Eaton County, having relocated from New Jersey to Michigan in 2000. My academic background is in fiber, having earned undergraduate and graduate degrees in studio art. I use mixed media collage as my primary expression, incorporating fiber, yarn and fabric along with stitching and gluing.  Love of color, pattern, texture and a sense of humor infuses my artwork.  I have displayed and marketed my art work in numerous regional shows and sales.   I love repurposing nontraditional materials into new and unexpected fabrics and objects (http://retreadart.blogspot.com/).
In 2007 I began focusing on mandalas and radial designs in collages.  Researching mandalas online one day led me to “Zendalas” created from “Zentangle®.” I was seriously intrigued and began looking around at Zendalas and tangled patterns.  Zentangle is a meditative and soothing approach to drawing patterns on a variety of surfaces, starting simply with pen and paper.  I quickly realized that I wanted to combine my extensive teaching experience of arts and crafts with Zentangle.
In 2012 I was awarded the Chris Clark Fellowship from the Arts Council of Greater Lansing. I traveled to Providence, Rhode Island, to train with the founders of Zentangle, Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas.  They opened my eyes to a fresh way of utilizing drawing and art skills along with inner growth and spiritual practice.  This was a life changing seminar for me!  Zentangle has greatly impacted my creative life providing me with inspiration in my artwork where I use much more drawing to express ideas.  The emphasis on patterns truly feeds off of my previous textile design experience. Consequently, I work to include drawn and painted patterns within collage pieces https://tanglewrangler.wordpress.com/).   I continue to teach art to all ages on a part-time basis in the Lansing area.


If you have a blog, add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 
If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

22 comments:

  1. Poor little boy, but so lucky to have a mom like you Laura!!!! Bless you for that.
    Reading about this weeks challenge was a real test for my English, but (also thanks to the pictures) I think I got it :-)
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I love this challenge. I'm going to think. Nice week for you and the children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture of your hands is so moving. I'm glad the PM made sure Artoo was home for Pancake Day. Peace and blessings and hugs to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It certainly would be a bad thing miss pancake day. You are such a good mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed this challenge! A fun way to spend an Easter Monday afternoon. Hope everyone is well in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGosh Laura…you are one super duper mommy. That little guy just seems to attract every little bug. And who would want to miss Pancake Day!!! I am hating that you have to go to ER so often! I will always remember the wonderful talk you gave about his birth and the way Zentangle helped you along the way. (CZT 15) You are the best, luv.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading about your family! I'm glad he's feeling better. I know how heartbreaking it is when one of mine is sick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad Artoo is feeling better. You.are.the.best.mother.and.Zentangle.Diva.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hands joined with Artoo's reminded me of when my boy had his tonsils removed. He was only 5 then and is now nearly 17. We made 'owl eyes' with each other as we waited in pre-op. Owl eyes happen when you get real close to someone else's eyes and their eyes look huge. I hope this week Artoo's health gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Artoo is really a poor boy but with you on his side everything gets alright. I hope, he and your family feels well again.
    Thank you so much for this wonderful challenge - I loved it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a rollercoaster! Glad Artoo's doing well. What a great idea, to have tape on your hand too. What an amazing empathetic mom you are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for the crazy Easter weekend. best wished to all of you. This challenge looks FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hugs to the whole family and thanks for the great guest this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hugs to the whole family and thanks for the great guest this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Creating with layers was a wonderful challenge this week--though it surely seemed daunting at first, I really enjoyed it! Thank you! Hope your little guy is feeling better this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praying for healthfulness. I appreciated the challenge this week, it was a project but well worth the effort. Blessings to you. Have a brilliant day! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for this challenge. It's been almost three years since I did the last challenge! #133 :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Almost didn't make this..still needs work but it was a fun creative challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great challenge this was; so different. I really enjoyed it, despite the fact that it took way longer than I expected. I thought I was going to do 2 or 3 stacks, but I barely finished this one. And it's not even really on time; but I wanted to post it anyway. At least I did do it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry posting a little late, took me a little longer to finish. So fun!
    Feel free to make comments here or on my imgur link, happy to have feedback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In case you didn't see the link above its here: http://imgur.com/tTfIIUj

      Delete
    2. I finally decided to accept a Zentangle challenge and what a honey this one was to do! I know I`m a little late, but I`m just recovering from cataract surgery and it took me a few days extra to accumulate the right paper, etc. Hope you don`t mind!

      Delete

tangle me some zen, baby!!