Monday, June 13, 2016

Weekly Challenge #271

Happy Monday all!!

Thank you all for the much needed week off.  It's been a bit of a go 'round here.

Artoo did end up getting sick, and we ended up going to the Emergency for a bit on Tuesday - luckily the doctors told us that we did everything right and got ahead of it enough that he recovered quickly.

Brave little man
Artoo wanted to wear his Beads of Courage to the ER because he really didn't want to go - but he said his beads would make him brave.  And he did really great.  He held on tight to his beads while they took his Blood Pressure (one of his least favourite things) and afterwards he said: "Mom, i was really brave, wasn't I?"

So brave.  To celebrate them sending us home with meds (instead of staying) we went to have a celebratory Sundae.
Ice cream makes everything better. 
The rest of the week was taking care that his Respiratory Rate stayed where it should, and cuddling and watching lots and lots of Sponge Bob.

Meanwhile, Chewie had his year end dance recital for his Hip Hop class this weekend.  I took him for his dress rehearsal, and on the way home he asked if he could show me a cool thing he saw with his grandpa - his driving diretions were: "It's by the sushi place before we go to our house"

With not much to go on, we actually managed to find it!

RAWRRR
A Tyrannosaurus Rex sculpture made from scrap metal, outside a scrap metal yard.  LOL.  It was pretty neat.  It was one of those situations where i really found myself rushing to get home - it was late and i wanted to get him to bed so i could get on with the million things i needed to do.  My first reaction was to say "No, i'm not driving around looking for a mystery cool thing" but for whatever reason i stopped myself and thought "Why not? What's the hurry?"  I'm so glad we took the detour to find the cool thing by the sushi place on the way to our house. It took 15 minutes of my time, and Chewie was so excited annnnnd we did a cool thing together which will hopefully translate into a thing he remembers when he's older
Goofy Face boy

.

Being almost 8, he's very good and pushing all of my buttons, but then he will say or do something so sweet or so funny that my heart melts into a pile of goo.  I love him, and i really don't get to spend a lot of one on one time with him.  I'm working on that.  Even if it's just bringing him along to pick up groceries...
Hip Hop-Tastic!!
And while his dance recital came at the tail end of a very long and exhausting week - i was super proud of him, and loved every second watching him on that stage.  He was so excited and pumped to dance for an audience.

Weekly Challenge #271: "Beads of Courage"

So, this is the challenge that i had completed for you all last week when my computer decided that i needed to take a break. lol

These are some of Artoo's Beads of Courage
For those of you who have been with me since the beginning will know about this program, but for those of you who are new(ish) here

Beads of Courage is an arts in medicine program that helps kids with chronic or life threatening illness tell the story of their medical journey.  Each bead represents something different.  A different procedure or appointment, or special circumstance.  For example, when seeing a doctor or getting a poke instead of getting a sticker when they leave, they are given a glass bead for each thing.  (blue for doctor, black for poke... some other beads are yellow=night in the hospital, pink=respiratory support, magenta=trip to emergent care, teal=tube insertion or removal, rainbow=therapy; physical, speech, occupational, respiratory) and every child's string is different and unique to their story.

Co-Founders!! Me and my bestie Tara
I got involved with Beads of Courage 4 years ago when my friend Tara and I decided to organize a 5K Colour Fun Run to raise money for the Beads of Courage programming in Saskatchewan.


Runners start out in white - then they run through 5 colour stations where volunteers throw colour at them to symbolize the beautiful coloured beads that kids on this program accumulate through their medical journey.
lovely ladies, all!

The Dream Team!
This was our fourth, and biggest year.  We have an amazing group of ladies who work all year to find sponsorships and to help with all aspects of organizing - and over the past 4 years we've raised of $60,000 for programming in the province. (Not including what was raised this year)

Artoo Covered in Colour

Two  colourful brothers

Artoo's favourite colour - GREEN!

Chewie running through Violet

Handsome Chewie

Artoo really loved running this year! Here is is running with B-rad and Grandpa!


One of my favourite moments this year was cheering Artoo across the finish line!


He was so excited and squealing and cheering, and running as fast as his little legs would go

My wonderful family!
It was a really amazing day, it truly was!

So!! This week's challenge is to BEad INSPIRED by Beads of Courage!  By our Colour Run, or by whatever gives you Courage.   

For my tile, i used a technique called the Hefty Hack (you can google it, it's super easy and super addicting!! there's lots of YouTube tutorials) to make a colour splotch on my tile, then tangled a string of beads - inspired by Artoo's string in the photo above. 

Splotchy Colour

Beads of Courage
Thanks for coming by this week! 

I look forward to seeing your tiles.   :)

Have a great week!!

And if you're on the Zentangle Mosaic App, - i'm @iamthediva - come on by and follow me, and i'm going to be using hashtags on the app for each of my weekly challenges.  So if you're game use the hashtag #DC271 (Diva Challenge #271) for your tile this week!  

[i had been using a much longer hashtag for past challenges - iatdwc for iamthediva weekly challenge - but i'm shortening it for ease and for less memorizing random letters ;)]

If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

25 comments:

  1. Please give my compliments to Artoo for his braveness, also this time. I love your beads, they look so 'real' -:)
    Laura, there are no tutorials in You Tube and only some Hefty Hack while googling in Instagram, but no one telling how tomdo it. Can you give us a link????

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.kileyinkentucky.com/blog/heftyhack

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy that Artoo was able to go home. Nice to spend some time with your boys one on one. I have four and I still crave some time alone with my all too grown up boys. So, enjoy it while you can. I love your colorful tile and your beads are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad Artoo is on the mend again. When you have more than one child, there are always times when you feel you aren't able to give time to one when he/she needs it, so those moments like you had with the dinosaur are very precious. I admire both your boys, for different reasons because they are different but you have every right to be proud of them both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, you are such a good Mom, knowing that each of your boys needs something different from you at various times and then finding the time and energy to make special moments for them. (PS: BTW, we also raised two boys. If you think a 7 year old can push your buttons, just wait to see what tweens and teens are capable of.) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Estupendo blog. Estoy ahora aprendiendo Zentangle. ¡Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for explaining about the beads. What a cool program! And I love the fund raiser that you guys came up with, especially with the color splashing on everybody. It reminds me of an Indian festival called Holi where a similar thing is done that I took part in a couple of times in the 80's, and loved it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Karen! Our run was inspired by the Holi Festival in India!

      Delete
  8. I love the whole beads of courage idea and thank you for this lovely challenge. Your boys sound wonderful.
    I've just learned how to do zen gems this week, so have included one in my beads.
    My beads are for my mum, who has battled lymphoma twice and has chronic physical problems as the result of the treatment. So proud of her, she's just started hydrotherapy at the age of 70 to try and keep herself going despite a lifetime of not liking water.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank´s for sharing the story of the beads. It really is a fantastic project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are always such an inspiration. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for creating such a great challenge. I invited my students to do so . They love it so much❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not sure if I did correctly but had fun doing it.What a beautiful cause!!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pat yourself on the back! It's hard enough to give equal attention when everyone is healthy. I'm glad you followed your intuition and found the really cool thing that Chewie wanted to share with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for the inspiration! This is my first diva challenge. It was fun and I learned a new technique using color. I love the bead idea too.

    I look forward to more challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for your sharing!
    first time to join the challenge!!i love the new techique!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beads of courage is a wonderful project and that is the challenge for this week too. Thank you also for sharing a new technique. Your tile is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My first official challenge! Thank you for sharing your family story, Beads of Courage experiences, and the weekly tangle art/inspiration on your blog! I will be back again:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the great challenge this week and for telling the Beads of Courage story and their meaning. Artoo deserves a medal as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear Diva, you are an inspiration to organize and participate in that special event and still have energy left over for the likes of us tangly people everywhere. I'll have to try this particular challenge again, not as successful attempt as I would like, but I muddled through all the same to get to the Zen part. Regards to your team and your family, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for the great challenge. I have been wanting to try watercolors, but I have been afraid. This was the perfect way to dip my toe into the watercolor water...
    Have a terrific week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm happy you had a well-deserved break - we all need to give ourselves a chance to rest! Thanks for the fun challenge and for sharing that Hefty Hack technique - so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My first time to use colour on a Zentangle tile - thanks for the push.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I feel like mine was too similar to yours, usually I try to come up with something original. But I enjoyed doing it. :) Hope Artoo is feeling so, so much better.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!