Monday, June 20, 2016

Weekly Challenge #272


Good Monday Morning!!

My happy Kindergartener
I hope everyone had a good week!  It's already the end of June and it's so hard to believe that my baby will have finished kindergarten soon!  School ends in Saskatoon on Jun 29th, and while i'm still nervous about Artoo starting the First Grade in the fall, i'm also excited and happy at how far he's come this year.

Chewie and his friends playing with Artoo before school
It's also been really amazing for me to see all the kids in Chewie's grade rallying around Artoo and playing with him at recess and before school.  They all love him, and i know that in the fall he'll have his own little posse looking out for him when i can't.

Chewie is really excited for school to be done.  I remember being in school and those last few weeks were just torture.  These kids are pretty pumped for school to be done because they know that we're leaving on a BIG ROAD TRIP to California in July!

Playing some hockey

Chewie leading his music class
I can't believe that we're leaving in less than two weeks.  There's still so much to do - and it feels a little bit overwhelming, and we will still have to fit in a birthday party for Chewie, as he's going to be turning 8 on the road!!

So i try to remain calm - by going outside and looking at my beautiful flowers.





I'm so enjoying them, but i know there are a bunch of sneaky lilies that are going to wait until we are gone before they bloom.

Disapproving Cloud disapproves
 I also wanted to share these beautiful pics i snapped this week.  There's definitely a reason Saskatchewan is called The Land of the Living Skies.

taken out my front door one evening

Also, this weekend my good friend Sabrina drove up from Regina because she and i had tickets to the Opera!  we went to the Saturday matinee of The Barber of Seville and it was very awesome.  We have gone to a few shows together, it's so nice to have a friend who appreciates a good opera or musical.  (We are going to see The Book of Mormon in September with B-rad.  I'm super excited about that one)

Sabbie and I at the Opera!
Because it was a matinee, we took a little trip to get some ice cream, but it was so delicious we ate it before i could snap a picture.  But.  Trust me.  It was delicious.

Sabbie had a scoop of Coconut Ice Cream and Chocolate Chai Ice Cream in a waffle cone
I had a British '99' - which is soft serve in a waffle cone with a Flake bar and Raspberry puree. 
Sabrina actually treated me to my opera ticket in exchange for a private one on one zentangle class with yours truly.  Of course, there was wine.

wine and tangling; a perfect pairing
and she did really well, if i do say so myself!!

my tile on the left, hers on the right. 
We stayed up visiting with B-rad and polishing off the bottle, (or two) - it was very many good times had by all.

Sunday was father's day, and the boys presented b-rad with the gifts they made at school.  They were both so proud of their projects and so excited to give them to b-rad that they were practically bouncing!  I think school made gifts are just so darn awesome.  I made eggs and sausages for breakfast before Sabrina left to go home, and then we spent the afternoon out at B-rad's mom and dad's for a Father's Day barbecue.

This week's going to be just as busy as i try to get things ready for the trip and also attend some of the last days of school activities.

i'm tired already. lol.

Weekly Challenge #272: "What's Black and White and Red All Over?"
A Zebra with a sunburn.  (Badum TING!)

This week in the midst of all the hubbub, i picked up a tile i had started working on a while ago - to finish it up and catch a bit of zen.  However, when i started tangling - it became apparent that i had accidentally picked up my red Micron, instead of my black one.

My first initial thought was: "OH NO!! I've RUINED it."

But instead of trashing it and starting over, i thought i'd just keep at it and see what happened.

It turns out, it looks awesome, and is now one of my favourite tiles.

To get the red background i used a red paint pen from POSCA
and when it was dry, i tangled on it with my microns
I'm glad i didn't jump at the chance to throw it out.

One of the things that really appeals to me, personally, about zentangle is that it's in black and white (for the most part) and i can turn off the 'colour composition' part of my brain that tends to get in the way when i'm painting sometimes.

 The elegance of limitations.... my tile was now wearing red, so what was i to do? With this tile - the red found it's way there by accident - and because it wasn't part of the plan, i didn't have to think too much about it, i just wanted to see what would happen if i kept going.

And i think that because i create my tiles without any sort of plan when i begin, there is that freedom that allows room for exploration.  If i had planned this tile with a specific idea of how it would turn out, the red pen would have been a fly in my ointment, instead of guiding me into a different direction.

Also - i made the title of this challenge a joke because sometimes i think we can run the risk of getting too serious.  Keep it light!! This is fun!

So this week's challenge is use the standard black and white of traditional zentangle - but also red!  And the extra challenge is to not take yourself so seriously and have fun with this.

Have a great week!!

And if you're on the Zentangle Mosaic App, - i'm @iamthediva - come on by and follow me, and i'm going to be using hashtags on the app for each of my weekly challenges.  So if you're game use the hashtag #DC272 (Diva Challenge #272) for your tile this week!  

[i had been using a much longer hashtag for past challenges - iatdwc for iamthediva weekly challenge - but i'm shortening it for ease and for less memorizing random letters ;)]

If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;)

24 comments:

  1. Your boys really go to school much later in Canada. Must be because of all the snow days? How excited they must be to go to California. Love the pictures this week and your tile is fun with the red. I would think that Posca paint would be hard on Microns. Did you use a different pen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They go from September to the end of June.
    I used posca paint pens and my microns. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a teacher here in Ontario and I can't wait until the end of next week, too! My class and I are both excited- three more days (for them) and four more days (for me :)). Enjoy your trip to California!

      Delete
  3. Here in Singapore, we have school from January to May, and July to November. June and December are school holidays. :)

    The flowers look lovely. Summer makes everything look so colourful- even the skies.

    I've had an idea for a black-red-white tile some time ago. Perhaps now would be a good time to get that idea to paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your post, and your flowers are beautiful! Gonna have fun with this week's tile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post and a great challenge. Love the flowers. Enjoy the summer break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the challenge. I like adding a splash of color. This is my 2nd challenge! Your post is fun too. I'm glad your friend got a chance to Zentangle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved seeing all your pictures. Your flowers are beautiful. The Dianthus are one of my favorites. I'm going to have to grow those next year. But I really liked your disapproving cloud. LOL Your tile is so beautiful. Mine didn't come out nearly so nice. But, it's okay. You are coming down to my country in California. Of course, California is so big that you probably aren't coming anywhere near where I live. :-D But you guys will have a great time. The weather is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers, Laura. Have a great California trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pics this week, lovely flowers and skies...
    I hope you all enjoy the summertrip to California.
    Thanks for a very pleasant challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my first time participating in the weekly challenge. I'm looking forward to future endeavours and thank you for the opportunity :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tile And challenge! Hope you all have a wonderful trip to CA!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for another fun challenge, I learned a bit about red and oops - pink!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my second challenge but I haven't posted last week's yet. :) (My son did one last week as well!)

    Thanks for all the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this challenge and had a great time creating my tile. In the Netherlands summer holiday from schools are a bit different in parts of the country (to spread it) but mostly from juni until the end of august.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy your trip and thanks for the challenge, I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful flowers! Some of those I have in my garden too! Thank´s for a nice challenge. Red is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your boys are really growing up in front of our eyes. I almost can't believe that Artoo begins 1st grade soon.
    Your photos always tell a wonderful story. I love them all; but this week's flower pictures are really exceptional. As I mention in my blog, I'm not a big fan of red; but I have to admit that it really makes a big splash with black and white. So I actually enjoyed using red this week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have fun on your trip! Where in California and when in July, if you don't mind me asking? Because I'll be in Santa Rosa (not too far from San Fransisco) until around the 22nd :^)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for another fun challenge! And congrats on making it to the end of another school year - have a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for another great challenge.
    My tile was originally made for another challenge but I think it fits here too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh the flowers!!! Have your neighbors take pictures of those sneaky lilies when they're not looking!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for another wonderful challenge! Your weekly challenges inspired me to get a Flickr account just so I could play along ;D I am officially not a lurker anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was so surprised how good mine looked I did two! Loved adding in a touch of colour, but having just the one extra colour meant it was still 'Zen' as well as tangling.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!