Monday, June 27, 2016

Weekly Challenge #273

Happy Last Monday of June all!

Artoo celebrated Canada Day early in his Kindergarten Class - I was lucky enough to be invited to his classroom celebration where we looked throughout the school for items on a Canada Day scavengar hunt, enjoyed some tasty ice cream and made a Canada Day craft.  My heart just swells when i see him interacting with the kids in his class - and i think about how far he's come, socially.

Mmmm Ice cream
 Only three days left of Kindergarten for my little man.  Then off to the first grade.
He won this cool pinwheel for completing the scavenger hunt

Walking home from school one day this past week we decided to climb up on the rocks by the pond, and artoo posed for this picture - and i realized i had a very similar one from when Chewie was finihsing kindergarten as well.    Time is literally flying by for me.    WHERE DID MY BABIES GO??

Two cutie patooties
As we're getting nearer and nearer to July - when Chewie was born, we like to make sure he has his birthday party at the end of June to make sure that his friends from school can make it.  And this year, Chewie chose Pokemon as his theme - which was fun, but tricky for me because i basically know NOTHING about Pokemon... i know it's a show? and also trading cards? perhaps even a card game??  Seriously, how did people throw birthday parties before pinterest.

Wait - i know, we didn't have themed birthday parites.  At least, i never did as a kid.  i think the closest i ever had to a theme was my mom making my cake into a princess by sticking a barbie into my cake and then icing it.  you'd have your friends come over and play pin the tail on the donkey or musical chairs and then eat your hot dog and then cake and presents and everyone goes home.

Not anymore. Thank god for pinterest.... you beautiful monster, you.

waiting for the friends to come
Generally speaking the birthday party situation round here isn't so bad because we have a huge backyard, so it's not so crazy.  However, it was all rain all weekend - we we adapted and brought the party inside.  My home had 9 crazy eight year olds and one little 5 year old screaming and generally out of control.  But they were really very good, considering they were in such closed quarters.

First they all made their very own pokemon monsters out of sculpy clay - a modelling clay that you bake in the oven to make hard.  Once they got into it, some of the creations were really amazing.  I'm kicking myself that i didn't take pictures of all the finished pieces before they took them home.  

They then filled out a pokemon card for their creations, naming their pokemon and drawing what they look like and giving them health points and special moves.  Again, the creativity was pretty awesome. 

Then we trained our pokemon by playing games like a ball toss, and then hot potato, and freeze dance.  The winner of the 'tournament' won a special pack of Pokemon cards - and everyone else got a smaller pack of cards - so they were all winners!
Pokemon Cupcakes - gotta catch 'em all
After lunch, the sun came out just long enough for us to kick everyone outside and they all ran around playing and having fun until it was time for cupcakes and presents.  

The birthday party crew - 2016!
The kids seemed to have fun running around and playing and burning off energy before their parents came, and they all went home with a one of a kind hand drawn Pikachu party bag, made by yours truly.

pika pika
It was a crazy three hours, but chewie really had a great time.   One of his gifts from his cousin were these amazing moustaches.   I just have to share these, because honestly they are so freaking cute. 





oh man.  my two adorable middle aged men.

So - we leave for our big road trip this weekend - and it's my intention to do the challenges from the road - i really hope that pans out!  Generally i take the summer off from challenges, but i never did get around to finding some hosts for you all - so we'll just see how the summer goes shall we?

Weekly Challenge #273: "Tangle Remix"

Okay, so i was going through some of my old tiles for a project i've been working one.  I have most of them in a binder that i take to different events and classes and things.  And every time i time i flip through the binder there's one tile that sticks out to me and i think: "i should really do something to that"
This tile was completed in February 2011 - for Challenge #10

This week i decided why not remix it?

Full Definition of remix. : a variant of an original recording (as of a song) made by rearranging or adding to the original.
obviously, in this context we won't be remixing recordings. lol.

the remix
i think this looks much better - i think maybe it's a little bit busy - but i think what was lacking in the first go'round was contrast.  I like the added black in the remix.

So this week, go back into your stash and find a tile that you could spruce up or remix and give it a shiny fresh coat of Pigma Micron!

Have a great week!!

And if you're on the Zentangle Mosaic App, - i'm @iamthediva - come on by and follow me, and i'm going to be using hashtags on the app for each of my weekly challenges.  So if you're game use the hashtag #DC273 (Diva Challenge #273) for your tile this week!  You can also search in the app for people's contributions to the challenge by clicking on the hashtag from inside the app, or using the search function.  

If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 

17 comments:

  1. You are an awesome mom. My mom did one birthday party for me and never again LOL! I'm not sure she ever recuperated from that one! Happy birthday, Chewie! Congrats on graduating from Kindergarten, Artoo. Great moustaches, and a wonderful idea for a challenge! Hooray summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding moustaches! Happy summer vacation Harms family and wishing you safe and fun travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great kids! And a wonderful (full of wonder) age. Have fun in California, although it is HOT here right now. It should cool off a bit, depending on where you're going. This is a great Challenge. Wonderful idea. If you don't have time to do a new Challenge every week, think about picking a long time ago Challenge or let everyone pick their own. That would be fun to see what people come up with. Just an idea. Have a FUN vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Laura, time goes too quickly and your kids will be adults before you know. So enjoy as much as you can, they look so happy and I think you are a wonderful mum. I wish you a great trip to the States and thank you for this interesting challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you Laura and the whole Harms family a wonderful summer and great vacation! May all of you stay healthy and be happy!
    When I see my children (22 and 26) I am also wondering where the time has flown.... So enjoy every single moment with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hop you and your family will have a great time together going on this trip. Take care!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice challenge. The boys look cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an amazing mom! Such a cute party, and your kids are as adorable as always! Have a safe and happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks again for the great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Chewie and great job on the party Laura! I used to love to throw theme parties when my girls were little - enjoy! Thanks for another fun challenge and have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A mustache, a mustache, if I only had a mustache! (A Million Ways to Die in the West...funniest movie until Deadpool.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh happiness is ICE CREAM. Thanks for sharing the joys and your devious challenges. CHeryl

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the idea for the party. Your boys are growing up so fast, and they are such sweeties. I am so glad when I read of the progress that Artoo has made and he is lucky to have a big brother like Chewie to help him deal with school. I kind of had Chewie's role growing up as my brother was 3 years younger and had heart problems, so I got to make sure he was okay at school. Thanks again for your wonderful challenges Laura. They always make me stretch my creativity. Have a great and safe time in California....wave hi to me over here in Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy your summer! And thanks for the great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy your summer! And thanks for the great challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. could you explain more about the notebook you keep your finished projects in. I am starting to get a collection and was not sure what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My stash is small, but I found one I've already had one go at reworking and decided to do it again with a similar string and some of the same tangles. Much happier with the result!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!