Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Weekly Challenge #288

Happy Tuesday everyone!

Yesterday, we Canadians were celebrating Thanksgiving - so i hope you all had a nice long weekend.  We certainly did.

Artoo was home sick all week - and Chewie started feeling it by the end of the week and stayed home a day as well.

We were surprised mid way through the week with a lot of snow.  Here's the view from my kitchen window, notice the cool snow formation hanging off the roof?

What they HEY HEY, fall?
 But - at least SOME people in our house were excited about the early winter...

feeling better, playing in the snow before it melts
 On Saturday B-rad and i hosted my side of the family for Thanksgiving dinner, i had some help with the preparations.
Chewie and i made a Peeled Potato Tower
 And the centerpiece was brought to us by my geraniums that i thankfully brought inside before the snow fell...

many people have asked
 my grandmother found this vase for me in a thrift store while
 she served a mission in Russia around 15 years ago
 My brother flew home from Calgary, so we actually had everyone home for the Holiday.  It was really great - the house was packed with all fifteen of us, and we all ate like kings.

Thanksgiving at Casa Diva
 Then B-rad shoveled the foot of snow off our deck so we could take our annual family photo:

My mom and dad, surrounded by
their 4 kids, 1 son in law, 1 daughter in law, 1 girlfriend, and six grandchildren
 We were all colour coordinated - wearing blue and grey - as a surprise for my mom and dad... (although we maybe should have told dad) so they could have a nice family picture for their...

40th Wedding Anniversary
 On Sunday my mom and dad celebrated 40 years being married - as my gift to them i took them out (before the snow fell) at the very end of September and took their pictures.  They were so cute, they still are.  I'm so thankful for their marriage - it's totally a life goal to follow in their footsteps.  They are wonderful role models.
heart heart heart
My mom and dad were married in 1976, when they were 18 and 19 (although dad turned 20 only 2 months later).  I feel very blessed that they are still together, and having been a witness to their photo shoot - they are still crazy about each other - and they laughed and giggled and kissed and it was really wonderful for me to be there to see that.

Weekly Challenge #288: "Simply Gourdgeous"
In honour of our thanksgiving, and in mourning of our short autumn season, this week's challenge is to 'break out the gourds' and try the official tangle Gourdgeous.  You can see the step outs and lots of Maria's beautiful examples by following the link. 

Spend some time making gorgeous Gourdgeous Tiles this week
Happy Thanksgiving
I used a bit of fountain pen ink in yellow and brown with water before i tangled on my zendala tile. 

Have fun!!

And if you're on the Zentangle Mosaic App, - i'm @iamthediva - come on by and follow me, and i'm going to be using hashtags on the app for each of my weekly challenges.  So if you're game - use the hashtag #DC288 (Diva Challenge #288) for your tile this week!  You can also search in the app for people's contributions to the challenge by clicking on the hashtag from inside the app, or using the search function.  

If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 



13 comments:

  1. Snow?? In early October? I wish Canada were a tad warmer so we can move there if we have to. Up to you whether you want to interpret that as a political statement, but maybe you should get busy building your border wall-- just in case they are too many asylum seekers from the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the house next door is for sale, just sayin.

      Delete
  2. We are still enjoying temps in the mid 90's here in Arizona. I can't even imagine dealing with snow anymore. Glad the boys were well enough to go out to play though. I love the colorful tile that you made with Gourdgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a true challenge for me, because gourdgeous is one tangle pattern I just. can't. get. I'm glad to have an escape from the snide political comments and shares all over facebook too, so thank you for providing us with something positive to focus on! I'm jealous you got snow but glad your kids were feeling well enough to go play in it. Thanks for taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a true challenge for me, because gourdgeous is one tangle pattern I just. can't. get. I'm glad to have an escape from the snide political comments and shares all over facebook too, so thank you for providing us with something positive to focus on! I'm jealous you got snow but glad your kids were feeling well enough to go play in it. Thanks for taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Belgium, we don't know thanksgiving but it seems to me a wonderful tradition. You have a nice family and the picture of your parents is gorgeous!!!
    I like your tile and want to try to make also one, I find Gourdgeous a beautiful pattern but a difficult one, so this is a real challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful family celebrations. You probably hear it all the time, but you look soooo much like your mom! Congratulations to your parents on their anniversary. Hoping your sweet Artoo bounces back to health quickly.

    Thank you for this challenge. I have always been so intimidated by Gourdgeous. I studied the step outs, and took it one step at a time! Very fun tangle for the season. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was shocked to see you had snow, it did dip below freezing here last night so I brought my mum's in and they are back out this morning and hopefully will be safe for the rest of the week. I'm sure the boy's were excited to see snow so early. I missed out on turkey this year and am feeling very deprived, we are going to town tomorrow and I'm hoping our store still has some turkeys left.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snow!? We keep ours in the Sierras and go visit it when we want to ;) Glad you are all on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are impatiently waiting for spring to arrive here, it keeps heading back to winter. Weird weather this year - no real autumn (too warm) and now spring is being elusive too.
    Laura, thanks so much for this challenge. I haven't tried gourdgeous before as I have quite disliked it as a tangle, but giving it a go resulted in one of my favourite tiles I've produced to date. Still not keen on gourdgeous but definitely an improvement ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a new tangle for me. I always appreciate trying something new!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's no question; you are definitely your Mother's daughter. Although she looks young enough to almost be your sister.
    I'm another one in Arizona, where the temps are still in the 90's. Frankly, I would prefer it cooler, but my husband really likes the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks a lot for the great challenge. Your Gourdgeous is gorgeous! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!