Monday, November 21, 2016

Weekly Challenge #294

Happy Monday all!

I don't have much to share this week - Artoo ended up with croup and that warranted a trip to the Emergency Room for some respiratory meds.  I kept him home from school all week and monitored his breathing and kept on top of his asthma, so i didn't do much all week long.  

Thursday night i did get some me-time when i went out with some friends for a few drinks and some surprise Karaoke
Here we go!




I was sad that i didn't make it down to the States this week for ZenAgain - an amazing CZT Reunion, but my sistah-from-another-mistah, Elisa Murphy, face timed me into the bar one night, and someone took a snap shot of Rick holding Elisa's phone, with my face on it! If you have pics of me on Elisa's phone, i'd love to post it here. It was really great to "see" everyone's face as i got toured around.  It made me feel pretty cool.  like i was there for a few minutes. ;)

Artoo is feeling much better now, and was able to attend a friend's birthday party this Saturday.  Chewie got himself 2 strikes in bowling and was very proud of himself, rightly so.  I'm looking forward to a little bit more of an energetic week, going forward.

Weekly Challenge #294: Reticula/Fragment Beginning
If you've been following the zentangle blog, or have the Mosaic app, you may have heard about Reticula and Fragments.   Rick and Maria introduced these two terms into the zentangle vernacular in their book Zentangle Primer vol. I.  Let me break it down simply for you.

Reticula is the term for a grid, but not just the square grid like the checkerboard, but an encompassing term for all the zentangle grids.  Or from their book:
In our quest for the most descriptive word, we found "reticulum" (pl. reticula).  We liked the sound of it, and its definition was a perfect fit: "a fine network or netlike structure. Zentangle Primer, Vol. I, page 112 
So with Reticula being the term for grids, fragments, then, are the pattern drawn inside each square or facet of the grid.

There really is endless possibilities when working with this concept.  But for this week - we will start small.

This week's challenge is to draw a reticulum.  I drew a basic grid pattern.  Choose one fragment or fill for your grid, and fill in the blanks.  That's it.  Simple. Easy.  But beautiful.


**EDIT:  Thanks to Deanne Biron, who provided a bit more information for those of you who'd like some more information you can check out this zetangle.com newsletter

Basically: Draw a grid (reticula) and fill each space with a design (fragment) and then repeat that design throughout the grid.  The link above also has some great examples of different design ideas.
i drew my fragment on the back of my tile in the red zentangle square - for reference
 So here is my reticula and my fragment.

I worked onto a tile that was coloured using the Hefty Hack technique
There are ANY number of different fragments.  If you have a copy of their book and want some inspiration - you can find a variety of fragment options on pages 114-115.  If you don't have their book, just draw something in the first square and repeat throughout all squares and see what happens!

Oh, and a very happy Thanksgiving weekend to my American Friends.  I'm thankful for you!
 
Have a great week!

And if you're on the Zentangle Mosaic App or Instagram - i'm @iamthediva - come on by and follow me, and i'm going to be using hashtags on the app for each of my weekly challenges.  So if you're game - use the hashtag #DC294(Diva Challenge #294) for your tile this week!  You can also search in the app for people's contributions to the challenge by clicking on the hashtag from inside the app, or using the search function.  

If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 


14 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that Artoo is doing better and that you had an opportunity to get out. Yay for Chewie! He should be proud. I have avoided fragments and reticula for some reason. Good to have a push to think about it more. Yours looks great on that colored tile and is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I avoided then too, for a long time. I think the fragment reference system and the reticula grid system seems more complicated than it really is. So. I'm easing into it slowly.

      Delete
  2. Dear Laura, by this way I wanna say thank you again for so many nice challenges, I' ve enjoyed them all very much and I hope to join them again in 2017. At the moment I have medical problems with my back and it is very bad for me to sit and draw, so it will be better to stop for a while.
    I wish you and your family nice Christmasdays and a happy Newyear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ria, thank you for your nice comments. I really hope you feel better soon, and that you're able to heal and get well. Take care, and have a wonderful Christmas.

      Delete
  3. Dear Laura, many thanks for the great challenge! I wish you and your family a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to say that I do not totally understand what your have to do with Rectila and fragments. I wish the book was available in Dutch but I cannot find it on the internet. So, this time I think the best I can domis wait for other entries and then maybe understand. Or can you help me (not just me, I already got a mail from another Dutch tangler that doesn't understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne! Yes, i can help you. The words reticula and fragment make it seem more complicated than it is. basically, start with a grid (reticula) and fill in each space with a design (fragment) then repeat that design throughout the entire grid. Does that help? Feel free to email me at lauraharmz @ gmail.com if you need some more help. :)

      Delete
    2. The book in Dutch is called "Zentangle - De Praktijk"
      I found it through Amazon Germany

      Delete
  5. I'm glad to hear Artoo was feeling well enough to go to a birthday party and that mama got to go out with the girls for a bit. I have the Primer Vol. 1 by Rick and Maria. Thanks for giving me the push to figure out the reticula - fragments thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed this challenge - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tile Laura! I didn't know of reticula and fragments before this challenge. After a little Web searching I found this post by Maria and Ricky at Zentangle that helped....

    http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs119/1101168872594/archive/1113642095879.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Thank you Deanne! that's a great reference. i will put it into the body of my post with a hyperlink for anyone who wants to quickly head over there.

      Delete
  8. Glad that Artoo is doing better. And how great is it that Chewie bowled 2 strikes. Terrific. As for the challenge; it's not quite as simple as it seems. I have the book, but it takes a while to figure out which patterns are the Reticula, and which are the Fragments. They're not really labelled as such. Or maybe I'm just a little dense. Anyway, I did 2, 'cause the first was a little distorted. But I'm posting them both anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. seeing that intellectual alertness is crucial to high-quality of existence, the product have to paintings to enhance reminiscence and brain function. Likewise, because unfastened radical harm impairs the immune system and can make you prone to any.For more ==== >>>>>> http://musclegainfast.com/ion-z/

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!