Monday, November 28, 2016

Weekly Challenge #295

Happy Monday all
Can you believe that there's only a few weeks until Christmas - the boys are slowly getting excited.  Chewie's school choir had their first performance at the Western Development Museum's Festival of Trees.  (The Western Development Museum is like a BoomTown museum - with memorabilia of the Saskatchewan Prairie from the past hundred years and more - complete with a working smithy)

Day Date with this sexy man
B-rad managed to get the morning off from work so he could come to the performance and Chewie was so excited to have his dad there.  There are 150 kids in the school choir, from grades 3-8, and they were pretty great, as far as kids school choirs go.

Second row, right in the middle, my little song bird
They had some pretty swell christmas tunes, and this face made my heart happy.  He had a great time.

handsome devil
And this weekend Artoo was invited to a friend from school's birthday party at the bowling alley, and even though he was a little nervous about all the people (The bowling alley was very busy) he did really well and had such a fun time.

Cutie pie
And Sunday afternoon we took the boys to the Arcade for a bit of earned fun!  The boys worked on doing chores and remembering to make their beds, and helping each other, and being kind - for each item done they received a check on a checklist.  Once they collectively raised 100 checkmarks we got to do something fun as a family.  and this time was the arcade.


About 15 minutes in, chewie hit the jackpot and won over 700 tickets!  The kids loved it, and the next family outing goal is to Glow-mini-golf.  ;)

Weekly Challenge #295: "Reticula/Fragment part 2"
Well, last week's challenge seemed to be a bit of a struggle for some.  

So let's have another go, shall we?  

This week, draw yourself a grid, in pen.  it's part of the tangle.  then fill in each of the little squares with a design. ( There are a few samples in this newsletter if you need some inspiration) 

BUT as another step to this week's challenge - choose a design that is asymmetrical.  Then alternate your design inside your grid - creating another more complex pattern!  

alternating fragments
 what do you think?

So give it a try - hope you all have a wonderful week!  REMEMBER to just begin with a grid.  The first step is just to begin.

And if you're on the Zentangle Mosaic App or Instagram - i'm @iamthediva - come on by and follow me, and i'm going to be using hashtags on the app for each of my weekly challenges.  So if you're game - use the hashtag #DC295(Diva Challenge #295) for your tile this week!  You can also search in the app for people's contributions to the challenge by clicking on the hashtag from inside the app, or using the search function.  

If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 

14 comments:

  1. Great pictures and sons to be proud of! I'm quite pleased that I found (with help of Ria Mattheusen) the book in Dutch. Things like this are so much more doable in your own language. Thanks for this new challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this tile, Laura, what is the name of the pattern you used in it please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Do you mean the fragment and reticula? Or the swirly one at the top? I'm afraid I'm terrible at remembering the names of tangles. I always tell my students it's more important to remember how to draw them than to remember what they are called. I seem to live by that as well.

      Delete
  3. Many thanks for the great challenge!
    Your reticular and fragment composition is so beautiful, dear Laura!
    I wish you and your family a great Christmas season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy seeing photos of your family, Laura. Your tile is super and I'm glad to have another go at this reticula/fragments idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an awesome week! That pic of his little face in the choir was precious :) Loving R&F so I'm delighted you chose another challenge with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to help the boys to learn to be nice to one another and help the family! Hope you get to go glow-mini-golfing soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I booboo'ed and put in the wrong link. I put it in this post instead of last week's. Sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute Chewie looks with his choir!
    I think I'm beginning to get the hang of this reticula/fragment concept. Thanks for taking it another week. That was what I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for another opportunity to explore R & F. I don't have the book so I'm figuring this out as I go. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Again, terrific challenge! Thanks for exposing me to R&F as I don't have Maria's book... of course I want it now! I love your tile... I've loved Inapod and it's variations since I first saw it!

    Chewie looks adorable in his scarf in the choir! Artoo looks so handsome in his little tux shirt! I love the tactics you employ to get the munchkins to do their chores!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great challenge. It was nice to be able to participate again. Looking forward to getting some time to see all the great works that others have submitted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems like it was a great week for all of you. Loved all the photos. I hope you continue having good health and good times together.

    As for the challenge, I'm finally getting comfortable with this format. As you will see, I actually did 2 tiles. I started out the week with Joey's Finish My Tile challenge, using black and white on a gray tile. I liked it so much that I decided to do all this week's challenges with black and white on gray.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your tile. As always, you set the standard high. The challenge was so interesting and it seems to increase yet again the possibilities. Thank you for this weekly encouragement to put pen to paper.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!