Monday, February 27, 2017

Weekly Challenge #305

Happy Monday all

It's been a long week here at Casa Diva.  Chewie has been sick almost all week, and even know - though he's feeling better, he's still quite hoarse.  And Artoo has had off and on fevers all week.  Perfect timing for them both to be sick, as they were both home from school all week for February Break.

Keeping them occupied was sometimes challenging - as well as keeping spirits high.

Artoo spent the better part of an hour playing with kinetic sand
 With my boys both feeling under the weather, there was much mama cuddling - which i loved.

Check this lady out! 
 Chewie and Artoo had the great idea to go camping in our basement, so they built a fort - with much trial and error helping from me (B-rad is so much better at this type of thing) - they made it cozy with some pillows and blankets, and brought in some battery operated candles for 'fire' and read books inside.  It was awesome.

Come on in!
One morning when Chewie was feeling better the boys made me breakfast.  I was treated to orange slices and toast with peanut butter and a glass of water "because we don't know how to make coffee"




It was the tastiest toast with orange slices and water a girl could ask for.  

By the end of the week Artoo was feeling sick, and i walked into the kitchen to find this....

please excuse my unswept floor

 a boy sleeping on the kitchen floor.  That was the first sign he wasn't feeling great.  SO i gently woke him up and asked him if he thought it might be a better idea to have a little sleep in his warm and cozy bed on his soft pillow than on the cold and hard kitchen floor.  He agreed and so we went up stairs for a little lay down.  poor dude.  he stopped napping by 2 years old, so it's really telling on how he's feeling when he's willing to have a nap. 


Two giggly boys 
But by Sunday night the boys seemed to be feeling a little better - and i am now the one with the sore throat and the headache.  :(
Art time with Mama makes everyone happy - Artoo, my little Art Journaler
 So here's hoping that i stay healthy and don't get too sick - i'm downing cup after cup of tea, and upping my intake of vitamin C....

Weekly Challenge #305: "DuoTangle Marasu vs Molygon"
This week's challenge is a Duotangle!! these challenges are truly my faves.  I'm always so impressed with the new and exciting ways you make the tangles interact with each other!!

If you're new here, a Duotangle is the term i coined here on this blog to refer to a tile or piece using ONLY TWO SPECIFIC TANGLES.

This particular duotangle challenge is to use the two tangles Marasu and Molygon in your tile.

Marasu is one of the original 102 Tangles that were around back when i was getting my training at CZT #3 in 2010.  I'm not even sure how many official tangles there are now, but i think it's someone past 150? Someone fill us in below in the comments if you know.

Anyway, I hadn't really ever used Marasu until Maria demonstrated it at CZT#15 - and i fell i love with it.  If you follow the zentangle blog you may have noticed that Marasu was one of the tangles used in the 12 Days of 3Zs series they did back in December.  And lucky us, they also shared the step outs for Marasu which you can find here

The second tangle to use in your tile is Molygon.  You can find the step outs for Molygon here

This is my contribution.



This tile gives me mixed feelings.  But staying true to my own self imposed challenge to post the first tile i make for each week, here it is.

I used a renaissance zendala tile that i had already added a gold watercolour wash to.  (It's hard to see in the photo, but it's quite shiny).  My past experience with tangling on this particular type or water colour was that my 01 micron were not a fan.  i KNOW i have a 05 micron somwhere in my house, but i couldn't find it, so i did my tile with a 08 which made my lines feel bulky and thick -  I really feel that the design in my head got lost in the translation somewhat.  SO, aesthetically, i don't really care for this tile at all.  HOWEVER

While i tangled this - i had a pounding headache, and my throat felt a bit like i was swallowing shards of glass, and as i focused on the molygons growing out of each other i really began to relax and to feel a tiny bit better.  SO.  therapeutically, i love this tile.

I have found, in my experience, that the tiles that make me bliss out the most aren't usually my 'best work' but that's totally cool - because sometimes it's good to remember that it's about the process, not the product.

Have fun with this week's challenge.
have a great week.

And if you're on the Zentangle Mosaic App or Instagram - i'm @iamthediva - come on by and follow me, and i'm going to be using hashtags on the app for each of my weekly challenges. So if you're game - use the hashtag #DC305(Diva Challenge #305) for your tile this week! You can also search in the app for people's contributions to the challenge by clicking on the hashtag from inside the app, or using the search function. 


If you have a blog or host your images on line (like on Flickr or Picassa or Pinterest), add the site-specific URL where your tile is posted to the linkey machine below! Don't forget to link back here so that others can join in the fun! (if you don't know how to find this, you can see my half assed tutorial here) Also, please feel free to come back often and visit the links of those people on the linkey machine - don't forget to leave a comment or feedback, everyone loves feedback. ;) 

If you love the challenge as much as i do, please consider leaving a tip (tip jar in the side bar).  I write this blog for free and have no plans to make it a paid for service in the future.  Buy me a cup of coffee, or a new Micron pen!! Click the tip jar on the side for a monthly tip, but if you just wanna throw a few bucks my way THIS LINK will give you a one time option.    A very big thank you to those who have kept me in hot cups of joe. ;)

14 comments:

  1. Hope everyone feels much better, very very soon. And your breakfast sounded fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweet boys you have! Hope you feel better real soon. Rest and fluids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are totally right about the proces and not the result. At the same time you are a bit hard on yourself because the zendala is quite pretty. Take care and get better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful using these patterns in a Zendala, Laura. Do take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there, sick Laura...hope it's not too bad. Thanks for posting the new weekly challenge (even while you are sick), such stamina. You and B-rad take such good care of those boys, what patience you have. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's grim when the children are ill and even worse when, as they recover, you go down with it. My sympathies. In spite of not feeling too good, you did a lovely tile. i agree that using a heavier pen feels odd after the normal 01 but I think you are a bit hard on yourself here. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope the winter sicknesses are over soon! Thanks for another great challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, I just remembered you wanted someone to comment on how many Official Tangles there are.... Zentangle Official Original tangles are at 158 now. By any chance would you be going to Providence in June for the first class in June at the Biltmore?? I will be in that class for my CZT certification, #28. Hope to meet you there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Laura, that is one nifty tangle and quite the challenge this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope all is better in your lovely family now. I think your tile is really wonderful! I can't think why you are not delighted with it - I really do like it! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope everyone is feeling better :) Thank you for a fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laura... I learn so much by taking the time to do your challenges. Thank you for guiding me in my Zentangle practice.

    I hope that you are feeling better! πŸ˜˜πŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
  13. Many thanks for the great challenge! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is my first contribution and I am too late, but I had to give Marasu and Molygon a try.

    ReplyDelete

tangle me some zen, baby!!